Great Travel Books

Over the past year I have researched and found some great travel books to keep my hopes up for the future and I've discovered LEVISON WOOD. He was British Special Forces (British do you know him?) and basically WALKS everywhere. The first two books I read were "An Arabian Journey" and "Walking the Nile". He actually walked around almost the entire Arabian peninsula thru Syria, Iraq, UAE, Saudi Arabia, Israel, Jordan and also the entire Nile River starting in Rwanda except for a few miles in Southern Sudan to Egypt and the Sea. The next book up is "Walking the Americas" (1,800 miles, 8 countries from Mexico to Columbia). We find his writing very fascinating. Greatly recommend his books !

Comments

• Yes, I have seen the gorgeous Levison Wood on TV, he did a series on the Arabian journey. We saw it on PBS recently but I believe you can get it on Amazon Prime. Another reason we added some of those areas to our wish list!

• Stanley Tucci’s Italy. CNN. First show was Sunday night. Very enjoyable. I highly recommend.

• Yes, delicious show!

• Austin Gal here.
    OMG YOU READ MY MIND. Thank you Virginia Travelers. I had just finished my last Amazon book and I thought to myself, "Gee, it would be wonderful if I could read a good book on one of my upcoming trips,." Thank You, I'll look him up on Amazon Books. I hope he's there. Our Morocco is the end of '21, (I HOPE) Egypt trip is not till 2022, but I can dream at least...

• edited February 2021

I just got a non-fiction book on Egypt- "A World Beneath the Sands, The Golden Age of Egyptology." by Oxford educated British Egyptologist Toby Wilkinson. It covers the early 1800's excavations of (and theft of) Egyptian antiquities by the major powers. Wilkinson has written almost a dozen books on Egypt . I'll post when I get far enough into it to come to some idea whether I like his stuff.

The Rise and Fall of Ancient Egypt: The History of a Civilisation from 3000 BC to Cleopatra
    The Nile: A Journey Downriver Through Egypt's Past and Present
    A World Beneath the Sands: The Golden Age of Egyptology
    Genesis of the Pharaohs
    Royal Annals of Ancient Egypt
    The Thames & Hudson Dictionary of Ancient Egypt
    Lives of the Ancient Egyptians: Pharaohs, Queens, Courtiers and Commoners
    Writings from Ancient Egypt
    Early Dynastic Egypt
    The Egyptian World
    Dictionary of Ancient Egypt
    Aristocrats and Archaeologists: An Edwardian Journey on the Nile

• Austin Gal - He is definitely on amazon. He also has a book "Walking the Himalayas". The places he's gone and the people he's met are beyond belief. Hope you enjoy his books.

• edited February 2021

There is a novel/bio called Lady Almina and the Real Downton Abbey: The Lost Legacy of Highclere Castle, the Carnarvon home, which your wife may enjoy, it features the story of Carter who discovered the King Tut in it. I read it ages ago

• These are all great suggestions! We are supposed to get lots of snow tomorrow that will provide lots of time to look at some of these ideas.

• AlanS - If you've read all of the books you've listed then you should give the Egypt tour. My lord, PHDs in ancient Egyptian history have barely read that many books on the subject. Where's your list of books/references on other aspects of Egyptian life - cuisine, culture, etc.

I expect/want to get more from the Egypt tour than just the ancient history stuff (although that is very important).

• The Rick Steves travel website lists recommended books and movies by country. Mostly European but some good suggestions. The list can be a bit hard to find if you go to his website but here's a link to the list. https://www.ricksteves.com/europe/books-movies
    Or just google "rick steves book recommendations" if you don't want to trust the link.

• I would have started reading this evening but am still recovering from the side effects of Pfizer #2. :)

• Never thought I would say this, but I’m envious Alan 🤪