COVID test required 72 hours before boarding Ponant ship in Reykjavik, Iceland

Tauck and Iceland have removed their requirement that fully vaccinated travelers have a negative COVID test for travel/entry into Iceland. However, according to the last Tauck update I received by email, Ponant is now requiring all guests to present a negative PCR COVID test 72 hours prior to boarding their ship. The timing for this is getting a little difficult for those arriving a day early. Does anyone know if the test that will be done at the airport at Reykjavik when we arrive will be a PCR test? On the Iceland entry requirements site, it says we should have results back in a few hours up to 24 hours. That makes me think it is a PCR (and not at rapid test) and we will be able to use it as the test to board the Ponant ship. Have any trips returned yet? Does anyone know who can officially address this issue? Tauck phone representatives have not been helpful on this issue.

Comments

• Have you tried looking at the Iceland Embassy, tourist board or anything like that? Tauck have always stated that these type of things are our responsibility and not there’s, even before Covid. For them to keep up to date right now would take a number of extra staff or time on the line when you book while they check it out for you.

• edited June 2021

kpetzelt

I just spotted the requirement you mention on a Tauck webpage specific for Iceland. See below

I have similar concerns. Hopefully Tauck will clarify this.

Iceland

Your health and safety remain our number one priority while you are traveling with us on Iceland. The below travel requirements are mandated by Iceland and our ship partner Ponant and apply to all Tauck guests without exception:

• All travelers are required to Pre-register Online before departing for Iceland. Pre-registration does not constitute a travel authorization.

• All guests ages 16 and over must be fully vaccinated 14 days before arriving in Iceland to sail aboard our Ponant ship.

• Travelers ages 16 and over must present a government-issued certificate, such as the CDC COVID-19 Vaccination Record Card, indicating full COVID-19 vaccination (14 days since receiving the final dose) for entry into Iceland. Iceland accepts currently approved US and EU vaccines.

-Ponant requires all travelers to bring proof of a negative PCR test result from within 72 hours of embarkation.

• At this time, all travelers must undergo a COVID-19 test upon arrival in Iceland, and quarantine until results are available (up to one day). However please note that this is intended to be a temporary measure and may be removed before the time of travel.

• Unvaccinated guests under age 16 will need to undergo a COVID-19 test on the pier before embarkation. There will be no cost for the test. A negative test result is required to board.

• A random pier-side test may also be required for vaccinated or non-vaccinated guests, at the discretion of Ponant. There will be no cost for the test.

• All travelers flying into the US will still need a negative COVID-19 test. These tests will be available aboard ship at an additional cost.

• edited June 2021

The above requirement means that the PCR test must be taken sometime after 3:00 PM June 27th (Reykjavik time). Since the Tauck agenda seems to imply boarding will take place in the late afternoon of June 30th. This assumes boarding is at 3:00 PM. For me, that translates to 8:00 AM on June 27th (we will be in Seattle). We depart for Iceland at 3:45 PM on June 28th. This provides a very tight window in which to get the test and get the results so they are available when boarding. Also the 27th is a Sunday so lots of possible testing locations will be closed. UGH!!!

• These mandated PCR tests no more than 72 hours before arrival are proving problematic. I am facing the same issue for my Africa trip in late August. If I take the PCR tests I will have to head out on the transatlantic flight without results, hoping that it shows up in time to allow entry. Otherwise I have to self quarantine with potential negative impacts to not only me but the entire group. I am sure Tauck is aware but I wrote to them directly to ensure they understood the potential negative impacts. So far (6/6/21) no response!

• I changed my flight to Hawaii in August from a Sunday to the preceding Friday so that at least all of the 72 hours will be during weekdays, rather than more than half on the weekend. There was no change fee; in fact, I now have a $97 credit on United. Of course, it means an extra couple of days on Oahu at my expense, but there are worse places to be! I'm still hoping that, as rumored, Hawaii will change its policy and allow vaccinated tourists to by-pass the Covid test.

• We just scheduled our COVID PCR Test for 10:00 AM on June 28th (nothing available on Sunday the 27th as expected). The cost of the test is free. We fly out at 3:45 PM on June 28th so we won't get our results until we are in Iceland. But it will be before boarding the ship so we should be good. Of course this is all betting on the come that the results will be negative.

If things go south (positive result) for anyone on these mandated PCR tests, I hate to imagine all of the possible repercussions. Tauck is requiring that you sign a waiver for all of these repercussions so it's likely that all associated costs will be on the traveler.

• @British, I have looked at all of the icelandair information . Getting into Iceland is not the issue, we are good there. It's getting on the ship that is causing the problem.

• MCD,

You might check the following link. It has updated information about Hawaii.

https://www.tauck.com/travel-and-health/covid-entry-requirements

• All this nonsense is the primary reason I'm still waiting a while before an international trip. Best of luck to the "pioneers>" :)

• The is probably not the best time for any of us with high anxiety to do international travel. This covid pre testing is definitely giving us second thoughts about international travel. We have Tauck South Africa scheduled for November of this year. South Africa currently has the 72 hour negative covid test rule required before entry. We are flying from Seattle. Our total travel time from Seattle to Cape Town is 24 hours and 48 minutes. This includes about a 5 hour connection time in Newark. Factoring in the 9 hour time difference between the West Coast and South Africa makes this about 34 hours. This does not include the time getting to the airport and checking in etc. Any flight delays will add more time. The time left for getting the test and then getting the results back is making it way too close for comfort.

It looks like coming back is probably a bit easier since Tauck will arrange for the Covid test before departure although we do have to pay for it.

• edited June 2021

I do hope this Covid testing does not become a good way of just making money from foreigners. And more specifically Americans who live so far away from most desirable travel destinations.Traveling to the Far East and worse still, Australia and New Zealand it becomes such a huge worrying gamble. ….when we flew to those places from the east coast, there was something like a twelve hour layover in San Francisco and LA. It almost seems a waste of time to be vaccinated if those of us who are fortunate enough to be able to travel can’t do so because of having to be tested when once vaccinated, there is a minute chance of getting the virus again. Hoping as more time and research is collected on those who were first vaccinated in places like Israel and the UK, it proves that testing for vaccinated people is just not necessary.

• Ponant's 72-hour test requirement will likely be problematic for many Tauck travelers. Tauck builds in a land-stay buffer at the beginning of the trip to guard against travel delays causing clients to miss the boat. When travelers add an extra gift of time day on to the beginning of the trip, it means folks are likely in transit 72 hours before boarding the ship. We're in that predicament for the (still tentative) Norwegian Fjords trip. E-mailed Tauck a week ago asking for advice and have received no response. If the trip is confirmed and Tauck makes no accommodation, we will have to cancel and bear substantial cost.

• This is all so sad when we have been waiting so long for countries to open up. If the travel industry wants Americans to be back in Europe, they are going to have to poltitioms because for people fully vaccinated, it’s a joke.
    Norway….our Scandinavia land tour got cancelled weeks ago.

• I just got off the phone with Tauck and the person that I spoke with said that the Covid test that we will take upon entry to Iceland will suffice for the test to get on the ship (coming in a day early helps with this to allow more time for the results to become available from the test performed upon arrival at the airport). I've asked that the Tauck person send me an email confirming that to be the case. If so, then I can cancel the tests that we scheduled yesterday that we would have taken before leaving for Iceland. If it works as described in this post it will be much easier since we won't have to get a test the morning that we are flying.

• I thought that you were confined to the hotel without a test result on arrival in Iceland Sam..it’s all so confusing.

• The requirements are like this:

All travelers must undergo a COVID-19 test upon arrival in Iceland, and quarantine until results are available (up to one day). However please note that this is intended to be a temporary measure and may be removed in June. I've read that the 'up to one day' in reality is running around 5-6 hours. If that's the case, and the quarantine requirement still exists when we get there, then from the time we get our test, get our bags, find the Tauck transfer person, and get to the hotel, we would likely only have a couple of hours until the results showed up.

I agree it is confusing.

• I just received the email from the Tauck phone representative that I spoke with. Here are the Covid requirements that she sent me in her email.

. All guests ages 16 and older must be fully vaccinated 14 days before arriving in Iceland to sail aboard our Ponant ship.

· All guests must be fully vaccinated 14 days before arriving in Iceland* to sail aboard our Ponant ship.
    · Travelers must present a government-issued certificate, such as the CDC COVID-19 Vaccination Record Card, indicating full COVID 19 vaccination (14 days since receiving the final dose) for entry into Iceland. Iceland accepts currently approved US and EU vaccines.
    · At this time, all travelers must undergo a COVID-19 test upon arrival in Iceland, and quarantine until results are available (up to one day). However please note that this is intended to be a temporary measure and may be removed in June.
    · Our cruise partner may also administer a COVID-19 test to guests at the pier prior to embarkation. There will be no cost for the test. A negative test result is required to board.
    · Vaccinated American travelers will still need a negative COVID-19 test to return to the US. These tests will be available aboard ship at an additional cost of $150 per person.

This set of requirements does not contain the following which is on the website:

Ponant requires all travelers to bring proof of a negative PCR test result from within 72 hours of embarkation. (This requirement is not in the new set of requirements)

The only Ponant requirement in this set of requirements is that you must be fully vaccinated 14 days before arriving in Iceland and that Ponant MAY administer a COVID-19 test to guests at the pier prior to embarkation.

Based on this information I believe I can cancel the Covid test we scheduled prior to leaving for Iceland.

• We are on this same trip to Iceland. Wholeheartily agree that the COVID-19 testing info that is being passed to us by Tauck reps and all the other sources is confusing. We are not arriving until the day of boarding the ship, so if we are subjected to a COVID test at the Reykjavik airport at 6:30 AM, do we just hope for the best that the test result will arrive in time to board the ship at ~3pm?? We could schedule a test before we leave, but the timing would be problematic. Is it even necessary if we are being tested upon arrival??

On a lighter note, looking forward to seeing everyone and had a question about the onboard pool -- does anyone know if it is a heated pool? (Might be nice based on the forecasted temps.)

• edited June 2021

gardenlover

See my post immediately above yours, from 9:09AM (Tucson time). I think the problematic requirement, "Ponant requires all travelers to bring proof of a negative PCR test result from within 72 hours of embarkation." doesn't show up in the requirements that I received this morning from a Tauck representative. Now Ponant appears to only require you be fully vaccinated, including the 14 days, and that they may test you at the pier prior to embarkation. I plan to cancel the test I scheduled for the morning of our flight to Iceland.

With respect to your 'lighter note' question, I'm sure British will respond to your question. She is a Tauck swimsuit model so she will know the answer. :D Just by chance in January of 2020 we followed our ship Le Dumont D'urville into the Panama Canal. I took the picture below from our ship. You can see the ship's pool.

• edited June 2021

Hi, Tauck swimsuit model here. The pool looks exacting the same as the two Ponant ships we have been on. I swam in the pool on the Panama Canal tour every day, it was gorgeous and I was filmed for a Tauck video. The photographer promised he would make me look skinny! I don’t think I swam in the Iceland pool, our Iceland tour a couple of years ago had the rainiest coolest summer in 100 years. The pool is I think heated, it is very very small. I use a swim spa at home with jets or a tether daily for about seven months a year, but it’s heated. The only pool that was bitterly cold and unswimmable in on any of my Tauck tours was the pool at the Four Seasons on the K and T tour, just extremely disappointed and totally unexcuseable. thankfully, the Family Safari is no longer going there….we plan to do that in 2024 with three grandchildren

• Thank you both for the update and info on the pool. We've never been on a small ship--just the riverboats--but it looks great! We did make an appt for a test before leaving for Iceland and the timing conforms to both Ponant as well as getting us the result before getting on the plane to head to Iceland--sure would hate to test positive once we arrive due to some freakish event such as the vaccine didn't work! Chances hopefully quite slim for this event to occur. It would be nice to not have to repeat the test upon arrival since we would be within the 72 hour window. We'll see how it goes and thanks again!

• Smiling Sam -- Thanks for your thorough reporting. It gives me a glimmer of hope that we may only need to be tested by Ponant at embarkation. (Of course, this is dependent on Norway opening to U.S. travelers which is looking pretty unlikely.)

• British
    1:05PM edited 1:06PM
    . . . . The only pool that was bitterly cold and unswimmable in on any of my Tauck tours was the pool at the Four Seasons on the K and T tour . . . .

Yup! It took my breath away! :o

• I think men’s heads sticking out of water should be flagged. Who knows what is going on under the water? Perhaps a Speedo?

• edited June 2021

Who knows what is going on under the water?

Shrinkage?

• Definitely a yes in the temperature of that water

• edited June 2021

Just received our 'Travel Document' (Green Book replacement) email from Tauck. The problematic 72 hour requirement is now back in the requirements. It wasn't in the information that the Tauck phone representative sent us two days ago. So now I'm totally confused and upset with misleading information being provided by Tauck. I will call them again tomorrow. I'm hoping that the test it says we will take upon arrival in Iceland suffices for the Ponant requirement. IT WOULD BE EXTREMELY HELPFUL IF TAUCK SAID YES OR NO ON THIS ISSUE OR IF WE MUST GET A TEST BEFORE LEAVING HOME. And then reflect these answers in their documentation and on their website, instead of including a hodgepodge of confusing, somewhat overlapping requirements.

Here is the information received two days ago:

We are pleased to report that Tauck’s 2021 Iceland program is scheduled to operate as planned beginning with our LI 002, 16 June departure (LI 1616).
    · We will adhere to evolving local government and commercial Health & Safety protocols which are currently focused on sanitation, social distancing and proper use of face masks
    · All travelers are required to preregister online (http://visit.covid.is) before departing for Iceland. Pre-registration does not constitute a travel authorization.
    · All guests ages 16 and older must be fully vaccinated 14 days before arriving in Iceland to sail aboard our Ponant ship.
    · All guests must be fully vaccinated 14 days before arriving in Iceland* to sail aboard our Ponant ship.
    · Travelers must present a government-issued certificate, such as the CDC COVID-19 Vaccination Record Card, indicating full COVID 19 vaccination (14 days since receiving the final dose) for entry into Iceland. Iceland accepts currently approved US and EU vaccines.
    · At this time, all travelers must undergo a COVID-19 test upon arrival in Iceland, and quarantine until results are available (up to one day). However please note that this is intended to be a temporary measure and may be removed in June.
    · Our cruise partner may also administer a COVID-19 test to guests at the pier prior to embarkation. There will be no cost for the test. A negative test result is required to board.
    · Vaccinated American travelers will still need a negative COVID-19 test to return to the US. These tests will be available aboard ship at an additional cost of $150 per person.
    · Final Payment for ALL 2021 departures of LI (June and July 2021) is due May 14, 2021 (we will be updating final payment dates in the system, auto pay will remain active).
    · Closer to the guests’ departure date, we will email them personal travel documents that will include the following: a detailed day-by-day itinerary, packing list, arrival transfer details, and other relevant travel information.
    · We will now be sailing aboard Ponant’s Explorer ship Le Dumont D’Urville instead of Le Jacques Cartier as originally published. As sister ships, they each offer the same onboard experience and differ in name only. Dumont d’Urville is the same class of vessel; the cabin categories, cabin numbers and configurations are the same as on Jacques Cartier.

Here is the information received tonight:

Your health and safety remains our number one priority while you are traveling with us on our Iceland cruise. The below travel requirements are mandated by Iceland and our ship partner Ponant and are applicable to all Tauck guests without exception:
    All travelers are required to Pre-register Online at https://visit.covid.is/ before departing for Iceland. Pre-registration does not constitute a travel authorization.
    All guests age 16 and over must be fully vaccinated 14 days before arriving in Iceland to sail aboard our Ponant ship.
    Travelers 16 and over must present a government-issued certificate, such as the CDC COVID- 19 Vaccination Record Card, indicating full COVID-19 vaccination (14 days since receiving the final dose) for entry into Iceland. Iceland accepts currently approved US and EU vaccines.
    Ponant requires all travelers to bring proof of a negative PCR test result from within 3 days of embarkation.
    At this time, all travelers must undergo a COVID-19 test upon arrival in Iceland, and quarantine until results are available (up to one day). However please note that this is expected to be a temporary measure and may be removed in the future.
    Unvaccinated guests under 16 will need to undergo a COVID-19 test on the pier before embarkation. There will be no cost for the test. A negative test result is required to board.
    A random pier-side test may also be required for vaccinated or non- vaccinated guests, at the discretion of Ponant. There will be no cost for the test.
    All travelers flying into the US will still need a negative COVID-19 test. These tests will be available aboard ship at an additional cost.

The highlighted requirement above doesn't show up in the information sent to us two days ago, but it shows up in the information received tonight.

• I’m so sorry there has been so much confusion for you Sam. Once you get on board, I’m sure things will go very smoothly and you will certainly enjoy Iceland. The only tip i can give you is that you do spend a lot of time on the ship, yes, a lot. So be sure take lots of books to read or whatever you do for leisure when you are stuck at home…maybe the forum! There is little provided entertainment offered on the ship in normal times, such as origami lessons and quizzes, the odd lecture, not well attended anyway, but maybe they might not be available because of social distancing. There was nighttime entertaining some nights…I can’t remember whether it was the singers or dancers on our tour, but both were good. Maybe that will also not be offered. I can usually hardly read part of a book on a Tauck tour, that tour, I got through two long books.
    When it comes to the tour options, be sure not to chose the one with the visit to the Arctic foxes, we heard that everyone that chose that tour was disappointed.
    I’ve been hinting to my hubby that we should try to take one of the European tours that now appear to be going ahead according to Tauck, but he won’t hear of it. He says things are changing too often, we are not afraid of contracting Covid or wearing masks, but he does not want the stress of finding we need extra Covid tests, sudden suspension of flights back to the US or mandated quarantine in another country or even hospitalization in a foreign hospital with limited facilities because they are so busy dealing with Covid patients. Next year is the first date he will consider. Having been stranded abroad, albeit for what turned out to be only a few days at the start of the pandemic, I think that is influencing him. I now realize he had far more anxiety back then, but he was keeping it from me while I of course was extremely worried.
    When you return, you will be the envy of everyone for your pioneering travel!

• Good luck Sam, and thanks for pioneering the trail back to international travel. You are willing to put up with more obstacles than I am for what should be a "fun" trip.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file