Options

Packing Lessons Learned

13»

Comments

• Options

Another thing I though of...my husband and I both check a suitcase. I pack half of my clothes and half of his clothes in each bag. That way, if one bag ends up not making it to our destination, we both have some clothes.

• Options

Gosh, all you folks certainly are organized. I’ll bet none of you have the Airport Anxiety dreams like I do...forgot my passport...the flight departs in 20 minutes and I’m just now leaving home, etc.

• Options

Dottie, of course we have those dreams. That's why we're so OCD about packing and not forgetting things.

• Options

We got the Rick Steves day bag free when we donated to our local PBS station a few years ago, we received his set of travel DVDs plus the bag for our donation. The first time we used the bag, the drawstring on one of the outside pockets came unstitched and made the water pocket useless until I repaired it.We have used it quite frequently since but the quality is not as good as our Magellan’s one.

I’m sad to hear that Eagle Creek is going out of business. I would bor be surprise if Magellan’s is in trouble either.
    I had also never heard of Thom Bihn, I liked the travel tray, we have a square flat pack tray, we don’t always take it.

Suitcases….there is a brand called Biaggi, I first saw them on Shark Tank, collapsible into a small bag affair. I bought one and took it as my main bag on a trip to Africa, it was a disaster. Would not stand upright and it had awkward handles, which is how you maneuvered it around on its wheels. Although it had four wheels it was very difficult to drag around and I felt very bad for the porters at the camps having to deal with it, I would never use it again

• Options

I love Eagle Creek luggage. I guess their lifetime warranty is based on their lifetime....not mine. Sorry to see them go.

• Options

I am a Biaggi fan. It is very light and folds up so that I can put an empty suitcase inside my ‘packed’ suitcase. Yes, the suitcase is funky but if you pack it correctly, it does stand up straight and rolls well.

• Options

Two warning signs:

Not available in stores.

We will double the offer.

• Options

In stock at Target and Walmart

• Options

We actually have eight of the Eagle Creek duffels. We bought two of them for our first Galapagos trip. Then Tauck sent us two for each of our Africa trips. We will use two of them for the Caribbean next week. We bring a rollaboard and a duffel on board, and check another duffel and rollaboard.

• Options
    edited June 2021

I have an easy, non-tech way to stay cool inHOT HUMID temps: a wet hand towel draped around my neck. I agree it’s not pretty but it certainly helps.

• Options

I always pack duck-tape. You can't believe how many times I've given some away because of an emergency for a broken item such a suitcase, backpack, broken glasses, camera strap, and the list goes on and on. I pack a tennis ball to roll my achy feet on at the end of the day. Judy

• Options

"Our Travels" said:

I always pack duck-tape.

I always throw a small roll of gaffer's tape in my bag. Gaffer's tape is similar to duct tape, but doesn't have leave a sticky residue when removed. It's available at camera stores.