Options

Incoming international connection through Chicago O’Hare (ORD)

We have an Ireland trip scheduled for August. I was just notified by United Airlines that there has been a schedule change for our flights. (This seems to be a regular occurrence anymore).

Our return flight connects through O’Hare airport (ORD) in Chicago. Our connection time is now 1:39. Usually this would not be of any concern but we have to clear customs in Chicago and then go through security again. August is also a busy flying month. We do have Global Entry which should speed things up a bit.

If there are any forum readers who have connected through O’Hare on an incoming international flight, I would appreciate any comments on the time it takes. We have been through O’Hare numerous times but never through customs. I usually get my daily exercise and cardio workout when connecting there. :#

Comments

• Options

No personal experience with customs in ORD, but I think that's pushing it to the limit. I presume you'll be in biz so you can sprint to the front of the global entry line, but you still need to get your bags, clear customs, then recheck them.

• Options
    edited April 2022

We planned to return from Egypt via O'hare and had a connection flight to our home airport on a separate ticket, with a non-alliance carrier, but things got changed. Instead we connected in busy JFK (Turkish Air to Delta). It was a breeze- incoming terminal was next to outgoing terminal- it was quicker to walk (< less than 5 min.) than take the plane train!

We had to pick up bags from the Turkish flight, clear customs, recheck our bags with Delta, and go through security (all a breeze with Global Entry and TSA Pre-check) It turned out that just past customs was a Delta connecting flight ticketing and baggage check counter (that we didn't know about before hand!) Bang, bang, bang- we had allowed almost three hours for this process, but it took less than 30 min. at noon on a Wednesday. We didn't know what to do with the free time (didn't have lounge access.)

Here is what I recommend- go to FlightAware and see what gates your incoming flight typically uses (the free version of FlightAware will show you 12 (a week or more worth of) flights) - not always, but the gates are often within a few gates of each other and in the same terminal. Then do the same with you outgoing connecting flight- similar situation. Look at the airport map to see what transportation is available or see how far you must walk, and figure out the time needed to get there with customs, security, etc. If you are flying on the same airline it should be easier. If on the same carrier and the same combination of flights is listed when you do a fresh constructive search for your dates, that means the flights meet the published minimum connection time so if you miss the connection that is their fault.

• Options

Thanks for all who commented. In looking at other options, the best match on the United website would actually be a 49 minute connection in Newark. That would almost certainly be a missed connection. Our flight is listed as the second best match with the third being a better layover time in Dulles. All the others were 2 stop itineraries United must think these are doable connections. The tickets are already paid for and were paid for with future flight credits which we had to use or loose. There may be better connections on other airlines but since we had the future flight credits we used United. Since it is coming home flight, a missed connection is not quite as stressful as going for the beginning of a tour. We had one of those last November going to South Africa.

• Options

JohnS
    6:53PM
    . . . . Since it is coming home flight, a missed connection is not quite as stressful . . . .

We barely made a connection in Amsterdam once- we had to run to the aircraft, were last to board, and, in fact, the cabin door almost hit me in the butt as it was closed. We were still out of breathe as we quickly put our stuff in the overhead, took our seats, and push-back started immediately. A flight attendant put it all in perspective when he said, "You know, there are a lot of worse things in life than spending an extra night in Amsterdam." :D

• Options

John S- I think you may be cutting it very close. I travel through O'Hare frequently. The Global Entry kiosks are plentiful and getting through customs should not take more than 15 minutes. Waiting for your luggage will be another delay and the main problem is arriving at the terminal for your domestic flight. None of the domestic terminals at O'Hare are connected to the international terminal (except Southwest Airlines). So you most likely will need to take a bus to your domestic terminal, check in with luggage, go through security and get to your gate. I personally would want around two hours so as to not be stressed.

• Options

John S.- One change to the above comments: The rail shuttle which had been out of service for the past two years is now open, so your transfer to the domestic terminal will be much more efficient and quicker than the buses used in the past. That should reduce your time by about 15-20 minutes.

• Options

Denise, thanks for your comments. I may chat with United before I hit the accept button on the booking. United must think these shorter connections will work as they come up as best match when searching.

• Options

John - when we traveled to Ireland about 4 years ago (not with Tauck), we cleared customs at departure in Ireland and then arrived at a domestic terminal at O'Hare. We were on Aer Lingus. Obviously, this was very convenient. I suggest checking on whether your United flight clears customs in Ireland.

If that convenience is not offered, there is a baggage drop at the International terminal at O'Hare, so you would not have to drag your bags to the domestic terminal. But, you have to go through TSA screening.

• Options

Good point Lotusgirl. I'd forgotten about Ireland having U.S. Customs at the airports. It does save time. Though it's also part of why Tauck gets you there very early.

• Options

Lotusgirl. Thanks for this information which I wasn’t aware of. We were in Ireland 18 years ago and I don’t remember this being available then. In looking into this it appears that all direct flights to the US will go through US Preclearance in Dublin. This does make it much easier and we might even be able to use the lounge at O'Hare for a bit.

• Options

You are very welcome.
    Ireland even had a global entry line.