Traveling with Children

2»

Comments

• BSP51,

That is precisely what our neighbor said. Frightening what we as a nation are becoming.

• One can only laugh, not funny I know, but thanks for a very British sense of humor!

• kfnknfzk
    Yes, British, children do vary. I believe it is how they are raised and what they have been exposed to.

Bingo! I'm a veterinarian if you haven't figured it out yet, and it amazes me when owners of dogs complain endlessly about their dog's behaviors/training (or lack there of), all the while they bring 3 kids to the office that pack in the exam room, endlessly interrupt the adult conversation and start rifling through drawers while the parents smiles as if "kids do kid stuff." Um, my office is not a playroom nor a daycare. And YOU wonder why the dog doesn't have any manners. Hmmm....

I wish they'd try to pull that at their own doctors appointment. "Come on kids. Lets you, me and the dog go see Dr. X for my annual!" :D

OK. Yes. I might be a bit jaded. LOL

BSP51
    Keep listening. WW 11 might not be far off

It's really freaking scary!

• On one (non-Bridges) tour I did, there was a 3 generation family of 11. Youngest were young teens. Most of them never said a word to anyone else the entire trip and it was always a hassle at meals, because they wanted one large table for their group.

• Yes, a problem with big groups. Our family of nine will be fine not being together. It would be nice if the family of four can get two joining rooms but they know it is not guaranteed. However, when we booked this week and the paperwork came through, Tauck had mixed up the rooms assignments and had our daughter in law in with our son in law and one child, our son with his child and our daughter with her niece, it caused a good laugh…our daughter did not change her name when she got married, hence the confusion I guess. Tauck got it right for our tour next year.

• This reminded me of when we went to Antarctica 20 years ago, a mom was concerned what her two children would eat (apparently they were picky and fussy) so she had shipped to the ship at the time about 50 lbs. of ground sirloin so that her kids would have hamburgers whenever they wanted a burger! On another trip to Ireland, the mom/dad had packed jars of peanut butter in her suitcase for the same reason. Apparently they were worried their children wouldn't eat the food. I would never do this. These trips were both with A&K and before I knew about Tauck.

• OurTravels34
    This reminded me of when we went to Antarctica 20 years ago, a mom was concerned what her two children would eat (apparently they were picky and fussy) so she had shipped to the ship at the time about 50 lbs. of ground sirloin so that her kids would have hamburgers whenever they wanted a burger! On another trip to Ireland, the mom/dad had packed jars of peanut butter in her suitcase for the same reason. Apparently they were worried their children wouldn't eat the food. I would never do this. These trips were both with A&K and before I knew about Tauck.

Really?! And you don't have to wonder why they are picky. My kids were raised as you eat what's given to you. Don't like it. Tough. Go hungry then. But the kitchen is not a la carte restaurant. I pride myself that my kids will try just about anything and will eat even more. When my youngest was 5, he found out about Tobiko roe and had a fondness for fish eggs ever since. I can't wait to see the foods we get to eat next week!

• Dogdoctor, when my daughter was a toddler, she tried all kinds of food. my husband, not so much.
    You are a veterinarian, right? I used to have Singapura cats since the 80's. I am pet-free at the moment, and it almost feels liberating I used to worry so much when I was away even through there were in good hands.

• OurTravels34
    You are a veterinarian, right? I used to have Singapura cats since the 80's. I am pet-free at the moment, and it almost feels liberating I used to worry so much when I was away even through there were in good hands

Yes. And I hear you on that one. We have a 115 lb dog and finding a good place for her outside of kennel is always hard (due to her size). As for the cats, we have a friend of my daughter that comes to the house to take care of them. But I remember the petless days... it was so much easier to just drop everything and take off.

• We don’t have pets, they are not compatible with our life style, we think they are more confining than children, My parents had many animals, so I don’t feel deprived and my kids both have pet allergies from playing with other families pets when they were kids.

• It may be easier without a dog but I wouldn’t give up one day with my dog.

• edited July 2022

We have two dogs and a very good boarding kennel. They're very happy in the kennel and run into the building when we take them there. It is a bit expensive but worth it not to worry about them when we're gone. They're about 25 pounds each, which is a bit heavier than I'd prefer at my age. I walk them twice a day, which is good for them and me.

• We were pet free for 3 years but my husband really missed having a companion on the morning walk to get the paper (1 1/2 mile round trip). We wanted a small one that would be easier for me to lift as it aged (and I did too) since I had trouble with that in the last couple of years with our previous one. We opted for mini dachshund not fully realizing just how stubborn they are and how much they suffer from separation anxiety. Haven't decided what we'll do when we head out on our next Tauck adventure but hoping not a kennel.

• We have always had cats. Our current one is our first indoor/outdoor cat so we just need to ensure it has food and water. The feeder and fountain have enough capacity to last for most of our tours, but we still have friends check on her every few days- sometimes she brings home a critter, which can become quite aromatic fairly quickly. :o:o