Options

Wrong hotel on final digital green book

Many weeks ago, Tauck informed us that one of the lodges was closing for the remainder of the season due of lack of staff and we would be staying elsewhere, in fact a plane ride away. Yesterday, we printed off copies of hotels and emergency numbers to give our children just in case and realized the original hotel was still on there. We quickly had to look up where we were staying and write it down for them. Tauck told us about the hotels change before we got the digital green book, but it is still wrong. The map, still wrong, shows wrong stops.

Comments

• Options

I had hoped last year that the digital version along with the delay in receiving it compared to the printed green books would mean a better product but it didn't happen. The details weren't any better than had been on the website. Confusing itinerary items like whether we'd get tickets to Versailles, after hours Louvre tour, etc were not included though Tauck had to be aware they were included. The digital version didn't include everything that used to be in the book ( fine for old hands but not first timers) and was poorly formatted for printing what you did need. Hope this gets better.

• Options

I loved the books. Bring them back! I've saved every one of them. They gave such an 'official' start to a tour for us. But I understand why they are no longer provided, and environmentally they have become a bit of a waste with the ability to access all of the information quickly online.

• Options

The whole point, it’s wrong on line!

• Options
    edited July 2022

Yes I understand. If they are going to be wrong anyway, at least send me a book (joking). In any event, they need to do a better job at updating.

• Options

British - I think you know this. The digital green book is no more than a non-printed version of the old green books. Because it's digital doesn't mean (it could be, but it isn't) that it will be updated with any more current information that if it had been printed.

The real information, like on all of the tours, is presented when you arrive on-site. The green books, whether digital or printed, are one step closer to the final information than what's in the specific tour's webpages. They aren't, and never have been the final information.

For such a veteran traveler as yourself, it appears to me (but I'm probably wrong) that this tour is getting you more frazzled than what I'd expect. Perhaps it's just a build up of all of the changes in the last few years driven by Covid - testing requirements, airline issues, last minute changes, etc., etc.

• Options

Last year I only printed the pages with the emergency numbers and recommended tips. The rest I either already had or didn't need.

• Options

The digital paperwork promised to be more up to date. I think that was the teaser to promote the doing away with the physical copy. A change in hotel should be there, that’s important for anyone worrying about you at home. I know, I know, we could call or email family. Half the time they forget we are away but we like to get it right because it encourages them to do the same when they travel.
    I am not frazzled as such, mr B is as he has an important business phone call to make on a day he thought we would be at sea all day and now we are not. Covid, hopefully health wise should be ok, flights and staying behind and money wasted, that’s the frazzle. Still also concerned about choosing a cruise when the thought of them has always been a no no to us, maybe we will be converted!

• Options

British
    The digital paperwork promised to be more up to date

And the app was supposed to be helpful. So far, they are 0 for 2. It's a work in progress.

• Options

We were advised by email of changes to our Hidden Galapagos and Peru trip well in advance of receiving the electronic "Green Book." Printed it out so I could review just before the trip and while on the tour. None of the updates were included. Made pen and ink changes but the fact the final book was incorrect, especially on hotels, was unprofessional. Tauck has people in charge of the tour design, etc. They should be responsible for the final quality of the product. That means review for accuracy and not leave it to the person pushing the button. I know there is the Covid excuse but ...

That said, we had a great time. My impression with boat/ship tours, Tauck's involvement is limited and they contract it out to the vendor. Our Director provided no real guidance and actually gave us incorrect information many times.

Number 15 coming up in October - we keep using Tauck as they are responsive, especially to feedback. Good company, good product. I think things maybe getting better in terms of reaching it as I was able to book airfare for next May in less than 30 minutes! Price beat a direct nonrefundable booking with airlines and I don't have to pay until the final payment date.

• Options

We called Tauck this morning to make a final payment for a future trip. We mentioned our final digital copy for Alaska was wrong and she was surprised. She was going to get it changed. It will be interesting to see if that happens.
    Our upcoming Singapore trip, we had a letter this morning and that also has changed greatly. Different flights, no longer non stop during the tour. Different island to visit. Another different hotel, a ballet performance no longer available, a wonderful water palace closed the day we visit, that’s just the ones I can recall off her top of my head. But I am so glad our tour is still going as it was the first official document we have had to show the tour was live again. This was one of those tours booked in 2018 I think. I’m not even sure anyone has ever taken this tour as I believe it was brand new when we booked it, can someone tell me otherwise?

• Options

I'm taking this tour just before you and I also received the "letter", same changes as you mention and staying at the Four Seasons in Bali instead of the other hotel, no ballet, no visit to Rinca Island but going to Komodo in stead which I thought we were going there anyway, the visit to the water palace was canceled due to not flying direct to Java.

• Options

My final documents for the Tanzania trip said that all changes would be emailed directly they can’t keep up with the changes so no app no green book. Just keep an eye on your emails.

• Options
    edited July 2022

So I have a question totally unrelated to this discussion . I’m having to use RA meds that I inject now instead of pills. Can I throw the travel size sharps box away while in Tanzania at the lodge or camp or should I bring it back and discard it in Zanzibar? I know you cannot travel with used needles I have a letter from my Dr to take the syringes I’ll need but no information on after they’re used.

• Options

I can think of two or three ideas. Go to the Tanzanian government webpage and look for medicines allowed, disposal of syringes etc. . Call Tauck and see if they know, if not, maybe one of the local TD”s may know, Chis Mancini one of the TDs certainly lives there and maybe others do. or find a Pharmacy phone number in Arusha and ask them. Be mindful of the time difference. I will try or research later for you, it let me know if you find out first

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file