Options

K/T Classic Safari: Aug. 20, 2022

Comments

• Options

Bags seven and eight from the left are ours, and the last three on the right are all the old duffels. They hold more stuff. Does it matter? We use them as primary luggage, so it does. Used as a ‘secondary’ piece, probably not.

• Options

Can anyone answer this for

OK...I thought I was all set to go to K&T and now we got an email saying we need a covid vaccination QR code for our most recent extra booster and by taking a photo of it, it is too large for the document. Did you all get QR codes for this trip or were the paper CDC cards ok

• Options

We are leaving on Thursday. We got the QR code with no problem. We also have our paper CDC card, but my understanding is they want QR coded vax record.

• Options

I have the QR code buy can't get it onto the document to print because it is too large.

• Options

Our friend is having the same problem and she works in IT

• Options
    edited August 2022

Debi, I used the website link provided by Tauck to produce the vaccination QR code that is acceptable for Kenya. This is the link: https://globalhaven.org/ We printed out the document as well as saved it on our phones. For Tanzania, my understanding from what I read in the Tauck documentation is that the QR code you receive from your health care facility should be acceptable.

• Options

We didn’t get QR codes in the school gym we got out first two shots in

• Options

British, Tauck also provided a link to generate a QR code if you don’t have one from a health facility or Walgreens etc.

• Options

Ok, thank you! I haven’t needed that for any tours yet.

• Options

Entering Tanzania they wanted the phone number of the Gran Melia Hotel. That stuff is in your final documents. We got new eVisas, but what Kenya issued with our visa approval was our old visas from 2018. In particular if you have. had an eVisa for Kenya before, make sure you have the right one with your picture and correct dates. I would not count on using documents on your phone or iPad unles you are certain they are ‘there’ and not in the cloud.

• Options

Debi
    Use the Get doc website Tauck recommended on your phone store the QR code there either in a file or in your wallet.
    When we went in July they never asked for our visa but they sure wanted that QRcode.

• Options

@Debi Horan I think the carry-on is doable if you are of the minimalist bent. It really depends upon how often you are willing to rewear items or do laundry. I saw lots of clothes regularly reworn - this trip is no fashion contest and pragmatism rules. Of course, without a checked-in bag, your liquids are very limited. For something like bug spray, you may consider packets of Deet-infused wipes instead of a container. To make it easier for cleaning, bringing some Woolite packets for cleaning in the sink can be helpful. I think flip-flops for the pool are a waste of packing space. Most of the lodges included spa slippers you could use to go to the pool if need be. And there was not a whole lot of pool usage given temperatures this time of year, and the pools are not heated. The most pool time was during an afternoon at the 4 Seasons, where there is a nice infinity pool. The water was definitely cold and many just dipped their feet in. Men can avoid packing a bathing suit if they have shorts with a lining or shorts worn in conjunction with undies. Travel pants with zip-off bottoms convertible to shorts could help get extra duty out of clothes in a small carry-on. If you buy a lot of stuff, you can use your duffel on the way back for overflow. Footwear is the question area for me. When we visited the Masai Mara village, there was some concern expressed about what you might pick up on your shoes during the visit. Those shoes I bagged up and took out of circulation after the visit and donated along with other things and the Tauck duffels at the end of the trip, since our TD worked with locals in need by gathering unwanted items at the end of the trip (clothes, toiletries, etc....). Make sure to take in the moment, and enjoy the adventure coming your way.

• Options

Can you buy insect repellent on Kenya or Tanzania. Looks like you can take small sprays in your carry-on, which surprised me.

• Options

You can buy lotion repellent too, you don’t need much, if you wear long sleeves and pants, you only put it on exposed areas skin. You can look for bottles in the 3 oz/ 100mls. size that is allowing in your baggie for carry on

• Options

Debi I used insect wipes. You can get deet wipes on Amazon and skin so soft now has wipes that have an alternative picaridin to deet. We really never needed it in July as it’s so dry we never saw a mosquito. The Bens deet wipes on Amazon are very highly rated I bought a box of 30 and was able to put them in my carry on. That way if my luggage was a no show( which it was for 3 days) I still had bug wipes.

• Options

A note to all about your phone .if you have an apple phone anything in your wallet is accessible without internet.

• Options

Terrye, you can also save iCloud documents directly to your phone for easy access without internet. We’ve done that with documents that we can’t save to wallet.

• Options

JanP
    2:07PM
    Terrye, you can also save iCloud documents directly to your phone for easy access without internet. We’ve done that with documents that we can’t save to wallet.

You must do the save while you have Wifi or 4G/5G internet access. If you have neither you can't access the cloud.

• Options

question, if you screenshot your documents, can you always access them?

• Options

Yes, on your photo stream

• Options
    edited August 2022

British
    7:34AM
    Yes, on your photo stream

I know people use that term, but technically, "My Photo Stream" is a Cloud-based app that, once set up with a cloud account, saves a copy of photos taken with your phone to the iCloud. If you delete the photo from your phone it will still be available on the iCloud for 30 days. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201317

All you really need to do is just take a screen shot- screen shots are treated like any other photo and will be stored in the devices' "Photos" Library until you delete them. It will also be viewable in "Recents," or if you create an album, you can store a "copy" there. Until deleted, the photo will always be available in the Library.

If you want to save docs or photos so they are available on your phone when you don't have cell (4G/5G) or wifi service you must save to your phone before hand and put them in storage locations ON THE PHONE, like "a wallet, Photos, etc." NOT ON THE CLOUD.

The "Cloud" is an off-device location, hence its name, located on an internet server somewhere that can only be reached by your phone via a Wifi, cell, or wired connection which you may not always have. Any location, e.g. "Home" on an iPad, which says "iCloud Required" is not the kinda of storage place to put docs you may need in a remote location. Before you download you must check your Settings to ensure your phone does not automatically save downloaded docs, photos, email attachments, etc.to the cloud:

(These are iPhone instructions but non-Apple phones will have a similar process:)

"You can store any files you download from Safari locally by changing where the download manager saves them. Head to Settings -> Safari -> Downloads. Here you can simply choose "On My iPhone" and it will save to whatever it defaults to, or you can tap "Other" and choose exactly where on your iPhone it will download to."

• Options

AlanS, you can also save items from iCloud files directly to your phone without going through settings. You can open the file folder icon, browse for a file, hit “select” by touching the upper right ellipses, and then the file folder at the bottom of the screen. It should then give the option of where to save it. Select the appropriate location under “on my iPhone”. Hit “copy” and voila—it’s on your phone. At least that’s how it worked on my iPhone 11.

• Options
    edited August 2022

Yes, there are a number of ways to do it, but the salient point is that you must do the download while you still have internet (via 4/5G or Wifi.)

One method I didn't discuss is to attach docs to an email and send it to yourself. I have done that many times. One caution, some devices/settings do not download attachments with the email until you request it. Again that must be done while you still have internet.

It is like taking a new DSLR on tour- make sure you are comfortable with it and know how to use it before leaving home. You don't want to attempt to learn while bouncing along in a safari vehicle, or when under pressure trying try to show a QR code to immigration at the border! :D

• Options

That’s why I made certain all of my important Africa documents were saved to my iPhone before we leave —I’m certain of my Wi-Fi/internet connection at home!

• Options

So glad you took the tour and walking safari Jan!

• Options

Do you think you can book when you get there, in case there are delays, etc? We are supposed to arrive at 8:10 PM on the 23rd for the 24th tour start.

• Options
    edited August 2022

Debi Horan
    10:35AM
    Do you think you can book when you get there, in case there are delays, etc? We are supposed to arrive at 8:10 PM on the 23rd for the 24th tour start.

It would be really iffy waiting to book. I wouldn't take a chance just in case a driver/guide or vehicles are in short supply or already booked. You are also assuming you will arrive at 8:10 pm at the Kilimanjaro. The airport is not far but takes a tad over a 1 hr to drive to the hotel and you will have customs and immigration of sorts to get through. You don't need to pay up front, so why not book now?

• Options

Debi, we booked in advance and arranged with the hotel for a box lunch. We arrived on-time at 8:10pm, but didn’t get to the hotel until 10:30. We didn’t have to pay for the tour until we took it. It all worked perfectly!

• Options

When we took the Arusha National Park tour, there was little info on the forum back then. We weren’t sure how we would feel with jet lag so we did not book in advance. When we got to the hotel, we asked at check in to say we might be interested. Next morning, we were awoken from slumbers about 6am by the phones ringing, asking us if we wanted to do the tour, they woke us so of course we went. We had the boxed lunch and knew all about the walking tour etc. we actually liked doing it without sharing with anyone else. We did the walk, ate lunch by the flamingo lake area and when it got to going to the tiny museum on the way back, we decided we didn’t want to stop, which if we had been with others might have been awkward. The park scenery and vegetation is nothing like you will see on the rest of the tour and there are always lots of giraffes which of course you do not see at Ngorongoro crater.
    Tauck has not been going to Africa for that long. I think our first tour was in 2007…. Back then there were only two AFRICA tours, K and T and Elegant South Africa

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file