Options

K/T Classic Safari: Aug. 20, 2022

12346»

Comments

• Options

Great that you took the walking tour in the park Jan, I loved it.

• Options

Just a sample, here are a few more pics.

• Options

Jan, good to read your report. There have been several conversations about birds and lots of pictures here. Have you seen my favorite yet, the Secretary Bird?
    Seeing an actual kill taking place is quite rare, we actually saw our first kill happen on our last K and T tour, a leopard running like the wind after an antelope, it caught it, killed it and then a hyena rushed in and stole it. We’ve seen lions eating their kills etc, but again that doesn’t often occur.
    Watch out at Customs on your return with that bracelet.
    Continue to enjoy your tour!

• Options

British, yes. I’ve got several pics of the Secretary Bird. So far, my favorite is the superb starling. I love its colors. What about customs? US customs? We’ve spent way under our individual limit.

• Options

Yes, I did mean US customs, that’s good, I’ve been on tour with people who have spent hundreds of dollars. I have no idea of the cost of tanzanite, my tanzanite is fake, I don’t wear jewelry enough to justly buying the real stuff.

• Options

If you have GOES, you aren’t even asked upon arrival. Procedure has changed…at least at DFW it has. Put your passport in and in seconds you’re sent to the officer who glances at your photo and says “Welcome Home”.

• Options

Nancy, we do and that’s what I recall as well.

• Options

Jan
    Thanks for the reports!

• Options

Now perhaps you know why we have done this trip three times.

• Options

So happy you had a good time Jan, and some extra special sitings!
    I wonder if the TD managed to procure a tip from that couple? I hope they had the insurance!
    With the drought in East Africa, it’s good to hear they are having rain now in what is traditionally the dry season. Was it interesting to see how quickly the grass grew afterwards?

• Options

We saw a lot of zebra carcasses in Kenya likely resulting from the drought and lack of food rather than predators. They have been getting heavy afternoon rains recently, and one of our guides pointed out how quickly things get green and all the new growth just after a rain. However, they had a challenge negotiating the mud pits with the vehicles. We saw no rain in Tanzania. Oh, and BTW, I forgot to mention that the elephants came to the Four Seasons watering hole everyday around lunchtime. It was fun watching them drink and bathe!

• Options

We just booked this trip for late September 2023. Thanks for all the tips and photos. JanP - I'm happy your trip went so well.

• Options

Thanks Jan for all your info and pictures. We are excited to go. We will be on the Sept. 17th trip.

• Options

You don’t always get conditioner.You are mainly staying in luxury resorts, so expect the same as resorts like that anywhere else.

• Options

Does anyone have airline suggestions for this trip?

• Options

Recommending an airline would require knowing where you are flying from/to?

• Options

We are from Orlando but are willing to fly to a major hub to fly with one of the top airlines. (for example, we flew to Houston to fly Qatar on the Jordan/Egypt trip) I believe the Kenya/ Tanzania trip fly into Kilimanjaro airport and out of Nairobi.

• Options

We took this trip in August and flew KLM business class from Chicago thru Amsterdam and were pleased with the airline and service.

• Options

Thank you JanP!

• Options

I vote for Business Class Qatar outbound via Doha to Tanzania and inbound from Nairobi via Doha.

• Options

Minitravels I'm from Orlando, I flew Delta to JFK and Amsterdam and KLM to Kilimanjaro, however you can not beat Qatar for first class service.

• Options

I used Qatar Business Class from Boston to Arusha via Doha and return from Zanzibar via Doha to Boston. I will say that I was really looking forward to the Q-Suite as I have traveled Qatar before in the Q Suite. This time I was disappointed. Plane changes, flight schedule changes and only 1 of the 4 segments in Q-Suite. The planes from Doha to Arusha and from Zanzibar back to Doha were from another century and retrofitted--not very well, I might add--and did not provide the level of comfort or amenities that I expected from Qatar.

The plane from Doha to Boston was also a change but at least it was very comfortable in an angled lie flat seat--but not the Q-Suite. So disappointed because they are pretty expensive.

I did book Qatar for another trip in March to South Africa and Botswana, not with Tauck. It looks like only 1 of the flights will have the Q-Suite and the other 3 angled lie flat seats. At least those are better than the side-by-side barely lie flat seats to/from Doha/Africa for the previous flights. They were the best connections and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Qatar doesn't pull a switcharoo 5 days before my flight telling me I can rebook or get my money back or just live with the change. I lived with the change and a very long layover in Doha in the middle of the night. And no, my flights were not close to World Cup madness so that wasn't the reason for the changes.

I am carefully watching what is going on with Star Alliance and Emirates. I have used Emirates in the past as well and really liked them. I was able to accrue points on my Jet Blue account which was a nice feature. I would love to accrue the points on my United account but so far that doesn't seem as though it's in the near future although I believe it will be possible on Air Canada. I'm not overly fond of United but I do have a lot of points with them and would love to use them for a trip to Australia in business class. Awards are hard to come by there though.

I will say that I do believe Qatar focuses on some of the larger US airports, and Boston is not one of them, so your chances of getting Q-Suites are much better out of a big hub like Newark, Chicago, etc. Having said that, keep in mind that on your return you will have to clear customs wherever you first land in the US, claim your bags, and then get another domestic flight home. I've done that a couple of times in the past through Newark, NY, and DC and have decided it's not for me. Once I land in the US, I just want the car to pick me up and take me home.

I did Tauck K&T in October and it was beyond fabulous. I hope you will love it as much as I did.

• Options

It is not of concern to everyone, but some airlines have to make a profit to stay in business, and others do not. How do you think the World Cup ended up being played where it is being played?

• Options

Thanks to everyone that provided your airline experiences. We do love the Q-suites on Qatar and their great service. We just weren't sure the best airport to fly out of to get to Arusha. We have also flown Emirates, and think they are great as well. A little concerned with them since our last trip we had booked with them had the flights changed so many times. We have also flown KLM, so I will check that out as well. Thanks again for all the suggestions!

• Options

Mimitravels, I should have been more specific in my comments. I flew to Kilimanjaro, not Arusha. Tauck will pick you up there and it's an easy ride to Arusha. You will be on enough puddle jumpers (my term) during the tour. No need to start out with one.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file