How many Euros should I bring?

We will be traveling on the Grand Rail Adventure from Vienna to Milan. I just read that on the train I cannot use my credit card. I am wondering how much cash I should bring and what the additional expenses might be. In Vienna and Milan, will my credit card be sufficient?

Thanks,
M&M

Comments

• I believe this month is the first for this tour. Strange about no credit cards on train, but you may not need much money on board. In Vienna and Milan you may want cash for small purchases, outdoor markets, etc.; cash machines are easy to find. No real need to carry euros from States, unless you have some handy from a prior trip. Would be interested in hearing details of this new itinerary. Enjoy!

• MandM,

I agree that you only need local currency for incidentals or maybe a light meal and/or refreshments in an outdoor cafe. Regarding the train portion, it is my understanding that everything is included. Perhaps if off hours you might need to pay for a drink. This is merely my guess.

Please post a review of this tour if you can. Enjoy! European train travel is phenomenal.

• We just traveled by train from Basel to Lugano, and that train’s dining car accepted credit cards, but their credit card device stopped working. It was a Swiss train, but they accepted Euros, but the change was (incorrect) and in Swiss Francs. I always carry a couple hundred Euros in small denominations, and I carry small U.S. bills. I’ve yet to run into anyone who failed to smile and thank for a couple dollars. They know where to exchange them. Right now the Euro, the Swiss Franc, and the dollar are at virtual parity.

• Thanks for all the information. We leave in two weeks. When I return, I will post about our experience. This will be our 7th trip with Tauck, but it is the first time I have used the forum to ask a question. I love the community spirit.

• So Sealord, how/where exactly do you carry your stash? I know some have no problem walking around with cash, but I never carry much, just don't feel safe, whether at home or traveling. I remember decades ago when I sold my Civic and had a few big bills in my apt. overnight; I was a nervous wreck and couldn't sleep until I got to the bank. And even my small bills are stashed in a hidden pouch when I travel. I'm always stopping people on the street when I see wide-open purses hanging loosely on their shoulders. Guess I have a criminal mind. Thank goodness for credit cards.

• Rick Steve always recommends body belts. We have used them occasionally. Zipped leg pockets are an idea too. Another thing, try to not look so rich, years ago in Europe, thieves used to look at peoples’ watches to assess their possible wealth. Keep jewelry and diamond rings at home, have shabby looking suitcase and look confident. Etc etc

• I've never felt uncomfortable carrying cash. If carrying a significant amount of cash, wear a money belt under your clothes. Plenty of options if you search on amazon. Another key is don't look like your carrying a lot of cash, meaning dress appropriately. No need to look like a homeless person, but don't look like a target.

• We have never had a problem carrying cash on tours. My husband has shirts used exclusively for travel that have long, zippered pockets. He also has slacks with zippered front pockets and socks with zippered pockets. I also have a number of lightweight tops/jackets with inside zippered pockets.

• kfnknfzk - Does he set off alarms going thru security with all those zippers? :)

• edited September 2022

When traveling, my money is in an inside zippered pocket in my backpack. I also carry money in my passport case, in an inside, zippered pocket. All that goes in the safe when I’m ‘lodged’ except for a small Windstar ‘key case’ that holds a credit card, the room key, an ID, and my walk around money which goes in a front pocket. No wallet, and normally a Timex watch when out and about … the ‘other’ watch is in the safe. The Scylla/Tauck key case is too small for credit cards. They probably wondered why I was using a Windstar key holder. I normally wear my watch on the inside of my writst, so it is not very visible, but I discovered people can identify it just from the watchband. Had a guy coming toward me out of an Ace hardware who was about ten feet away, and he said, “Nice watch’.

• edited September 2022

Yes, I totally agree with these security measures, but since most of my travel does not require me to carry cash, why take the risk? Did I mention I'm easily distracted when traveling and drop/leave things behind? So not carrying cash is one less thing to worry about. Ages ago I left a zip pouch w/IDs, etc. at an outdoor market in Paris; the police contacted me after I was back in States & a relative was able to retrieve it for me, with every single card, stamp and franc intact. Btw I know a woman who was walking in SF with wet hour in old clothes and saw another woman rush across the street; we're guessing she saw trouble. I've mastered the art of looking poorer than I am & try not to look too American (jeans are way too heavy to pack), even having a huge argument in Istanbul with two brothers when I insisted I was French. I would not put money in a backpack unless it's attached to you on the plane & why travel with the "other" watch?

• Mr B broke his rule and wore his ‘watch’ this trip because he realized the battery might not be fresh on his travel watch. He never would normally wear an expensive watch, it just attracts trouble. He is wearing his silicone ‘wedding ring’ though. I wear cheap jewelry if any on tours. We have often traveled without wedding rings depending on the tour. SeaLord, by the way, a basic overhaul costs $750 these days.

• A true romantic, that Sealord.

• Sealord, was it a Breitling watch? I’m not prying but my hubby wanted the one that has the beacon in bedded in it. He’s not a pilot by any means. It would have been just another gizmo or gadget for him.

• SeaLord, it takes at least two months to service a Rolex, they look at it and send you an estimate, a new bezel will take it way over that. I imagine.

• edited September 2022

About 15 years ago my dad had a top of the line Brietling that worked but needed a cleaning, etc. - over $800, back then!

• I don't understand expensive watches. To me, either you're trying to prove something to irrelevant people or make yourself a target. Having mechanical movements, they don't even keep as good time as a Quartz.

I don't wear a watch very often, but when I do, it's a Citizen Eco-watch. The face is a solar cell which powers the watch. No battery to die, no winding. Only maintenance is adjusting the date at the end of 28 and 30 day months. Indoor light is sufficient to keep it running forever.

• I’ve always had nice watches. Not of the Rolex ilk but not Timex. When I retired 5 years ago I stopped wearing a watch. The only time I’ll wear one is on a trip. Then it’s just a Citizen Eco as BKMD mentioned above.

• These days I only wear a watch for travel. Having tired of replacing batteries, I tried a Citizen Eco, one of the first so maybe that was the problem b/c it died prematurely and/or I didn't have enough sun & a supposed self-winding Swiss watch from the modest Jowissa line (purchased while on a Tauck tour) is heavy to wear and seems to need a lot of arm movement. So it was back to quartz; I now rely on my trusty 10-euro very elegant-looking Yong Lin from the market in Aix, where else. Of course, we all have reliable clocks on our devices, so it's puzzling why I hear watch sales are up.

• I wear an Apple watch which I have programmed to self destruct and cause excruciating pain to anyone who steals it. :D

Seriously though, this has proven to be a very useful travel accessory with a top feature being the ability to remotely control my iPhone camera from my watch.

• For me, a watch is like pants. I don't buy them as an investment, but as a useful, daily item. :)

• My husband inherited his Rolex from his Dad. It is worth a lot!

• My home insurance, Amica, covers watches including two cars.

• I had thought that actual wrist watches were on the way out replaced by smartphones/watches, fitbits, etc but several months ago (?) CBS Sunday morning had an interesting piece on this. Here's links to their website or youtube. It was quite interesting.

https://www.cbsnews.com/video/luxury-wristwatch-market-sees-unprecedented-growth-in-2022/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywpt4qI-ZZ4

• This sure has side lined
    If it’s all about bragging here, my husband has two Rolexes, I have one. Each grandchild will get them when we are gone. I wear mine every day when I am not on vacation. Most of my other jewelry is fake, I love interesting costume jewelry. These days, I rarely take that on vacation.
    The original question, how many Euros, hard to answer, we are all different. Even if you don’t normally shop on vacation, you might see something you like that requires cash only. Take your chances.

• I am not an i-watch or FitBit person. You won’t catch me wearing one. With my vision, I can’t see the small print from my eyes to my wrist. On another note, our Tempurpedic mattress has all the bells and whistles and tracks sleeping patterns. It drives me nuts but again, my hubby likes gizmos and gadgets. Then yet again, after these toys track everything, what is one supposed to do with all the information and for what means to what end? It’s a waste of energy for me.

• I really didn’t think others were bragging. However, this thread has gotten off topic. It guess it’s a timing thing 😁

• Sealord
    I drive a sixteen year old Highlander,

I can beat that. I'm driving a 17 year old Highlander. Nothing as reliable as a Toyota. My POS 7 year old Tesla has been in the shop for 2 months waiting for parts. Worst company I've ever dealt with, customer service-wise. I like the EV concept, but my next one will be by another company.

I have a twenty-seven year old Montblanc Meisterstruk pen

I have some Cross pens in a desk drawer that were Bar Mitzvah gifts. I've never used them. Let's see... That makes them 52 years old...

• 😂😂

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file