We're booked! Christmas Markets Danube - Dec 6-13, 2023 aboard ms Savor

Comments

• Terrilynn...I heartily agree with your choices in Vienna. My fav was the Schönbrunn Palace. It was a cold day and the hot cocoa I had (matched with a delectable strudel) was just perfect. And you are right about the treasures for sale. I saw a beautiful, handmade silver-tip badger shaving brush that I should have purchased but thought I could wait until later in the week to buy. Nope! Never happened. If I see it again, I'm snapping it right up. An heirloom for sure. Have fun!

• Again, Terrilynn has proven to be the master guru of XMAS Mkts cruises! :)

• terrilynn,

Thank you once again for your wealth of information!

• terrilynn-- thanks so much for all the information. Some friends and I are booked for the Danube 6-13 Savor cruise also; I did it a few years ago and loved it. I was looking into extending the cruise either pre- or post- to Prague, either arrive early in Prague and take train to Vienna, or take train from Nuremberg to Prague. If anyone has done this, please let me know if this is a good idea. I'd love to see Prague in the winter.

• Thanks to all who have contributed to my question about Budapest and Munich hotels.

The Intercontinental in Budapest is within walking distance to the Sofitel. Ten years ago, we stayed at the Sofitel Chain Bridge in Budapest; according to Trip Advisor it is currently closed.

The Hotel Vier Jahreszeiten Kempinski looks luxurious!

@terrilynn - thanks again, for the very detailed and informative comments and link. Very helpful!
    Wow! Less than 2 weeks until your Christmas Markets cruise! I will look forward to reading your review.

• edited November 2022

@bobbette - we will be on this cruise too! Getting my list ready and all my warm clothes together. We have never cruised and I don't particularly like the cold, but...you just can't have Christmas markets without it LOL!

• edited November 2022

@terrilynn for sure I will take your tips with me to Vienna. Thank you. Do you only cruise on Tauck river cruises or ocean as well? Oh...important question for a newbie. Where do you put suitcases? We have 2 medium size.

• kibster, there is plenty of room under the beds.

• kibster = we love the Tauck Xmas Market River Cruises - Europe is gorgeous at Xmas and the towns are so quaint and old and full of history. We have done a few ocean cruises, but we aren't really fans of them. Too many people for us and the food, to us, wasn't great.
    We did enjoy Alaska, but we don't plan to take any more large ship cruises. We will stick to River Cruise and hopefully some of the Tauck Small Ship cruises one day down the road.

And as Claudia said, there is room under the beds for luggage. And def take an empty duffle with you to bring back Xmas Market purchases in as a carry on back home. And a nice light weight zipper tote to carry to the markets each day.

• > @bobbette - we will be on this cruise too! Getting my list ready and all my warm clothes together. We have never cruised and I don't particularly like the cold, but...you just can't have Christmas markets without it LOL!

Hi @kibster!
    Nice to know you will be on the same cruise! It will be our first Tauck experience. We've sailed on the Danube in the summer months (on a different river cruise line.) I'm really looking forward to seeing Europe in the winter.

We're from Orange County, Southern California, and we don't have snow or cold weather here. So this will be a new experience for us!

I'm taking notes from all the great responses on here from the "seasoned travelers," and making a list for warm clothes, too! I found a 3-pack of Ultimate Thermal Socks, made by Avalanche, at Costco today. That's a start!

We just got back yesterday from an ocean cruise. We've done many ocean cruises and 4 river cruises.
    I really prefer river cruises. I want to try a small ship cruise with Tauck.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

• bobbette - I'll be ending this cruise on the Joy on the 6th of next year as you are starting yours on the Savor. I am already shopping for items for next years trip. I purchased Columbia Waterproof Hiking Shoes that are lightweight and purchased 6 pairs of cuddl duds socks. I want to make sure everything is comfortable or they get returned and I try something else! I figure it's also the perfect time to get things on sale for next year. I'm looking forward to everyone traveling this year and reading about the trips!

Happy Thanksgiving!

• Hello @Kathy0529!
    It's fun planning for a Xmas Markets cruise. Well, any cruise, for that matter. :)
    I've been looking for waterproof shoes, too, and a warm hat and gloves. You are right, we should be able to find some after-Christmas sales. Happy planning!

• Bobbette -- These temperatures are for 9:45 PM. It won't be as cold during the day. (Though for us northerners, it's practically balmy for winter.)

• I've been tracking Vienna and Nuremburg weather the last couple of weeks and the high has averaged 40 Fahrenheit. This coming week it's down in the 30s.

• @terrilynn - I look forward to reading your review! Thanks

• Bobbette, it appears that we will also be on the same cruise. Hopefully we will get an opportunity to meet!

• @lfc8651 - I will look forward to meeting you! In the meantime, we can chat on this forum. I enjoy researching and planning for trips almost as much as actually going! Happy New Year to you!

• Hello @ASHeltsley -

Some friends and I are booked for the Danube 6-13 Savor cruise also; I did it a few years ago and loved it.

I don't know how I missed your post. Glad to know that you'll be onboard and I look forward to meeting you!

We are thinking about Prague, too. Initially we thought we'd stay a couple of days in Nuremberg then take the train to Munich. But, my hubby mentioned that he would also like to see Prague again. Our plans are very fluid at this point.

I checked the train schedule from Munich to Prague, and it's only about 5 and a half hours. The train from Nuremberg to Prague is about 4 and half hours.

If I haven't missed any others, it looks like there are 4 (posters on this thread) so far for the Dec 6-13 sailing on ms Savor.

“Roll Call”

• bobbette
    • ASHeltsley
    • kibster
    • lfc8651

Happy planning and Happy New Year!

• edited January 2023

@Bobbette and @ASHeltsley - My husband (Neal) and I (LaConna) plan to visit Prague first (Dec. 1 and checking out Dec. 4) before taking the train from Prague to Vienna. We'll be in Prague 3 nights and then Vienna 2 nights (one of the nights from our Gift of Time) before boarding the ship. If you decide to do Prague first, let me know, maybe we can meet up! I think we may be staying at the Golden Well Hotel which is near Prague Castle. You'll love the Savor, we were on it this past April for the Belgium/Holland cruise.

Oh, and Bobbette, I'm just like you, I love all the research and pre-planning!

• @Kibster - I'm from the North....North Alabama so I'm not a fan of cold weather either, although it was really cold here (single digits) at Christmas and snow a few days later (very unusual). I'm already thinking that I may be investing in quite a few cold weather items. My husband (from Wisconsin) keeps telling me to layer up. But you're right, it wouldn't seem like a Christmas market without the cold.

• The Christmas markets in Prague are fantastic...we did a Christmas market trip with another company in 2016...we so enjoyed starting in Prague. We began in Berlin and took a train to Prague to begin our trip. Berlin had wonderful markets too. You can't go wrong with the German markets!

• @Nancy - good to know! Thanks

@lfc8651 - nice to hear from you. I looked at the Golden Well Hotel on Trip Advisor recently. It has fantastic reviews!

When we were in Prague a few years ago we stayed at a lovely boutique hotel. However, while searching for it on TA, I discovered that it has changed ownership and now has bad reviews.

We'll be traveling with another couple, and we will most likely go to Budapest pre-cruise. We're still undecided about Prague, but if we do go, it will be after the river cruise. I am going to add Golden Well Hotel to my notes! Thanks.

• Is there laundry service available on ms Savor?
    We'll be traveling for a week before we board the river cruise, and another week after.
    It would be convenient to have our laundry done while on board.
    Thanks!

• Yes, all tauck river cruise ships provide laundry services for a fee.

• What started as a week-long Tauck Christmas Markets river cruise, has now transformed into a month-long adventure!

I received a call from my travel agent about a private sale on a different river cruise company (I have sailed with them 4 other times.) The dates worked out, so we're going to take advantage of this opportunity.

It's kind of like a back-to-back cruise (with a week in-between, on our own.)

We'll start our journey in Basel, onboard a 7 day river cruise with ports: Basel, Strasbourg, Ludwigshafen, Rudesheim, Miltenberg/Wertheim, Kitzingen/Volkach, Bamberg, and Nuremberg.

We'll disembark in Nuremberg, and take the train to Prague. During that week, we'll also visit Cesky Krumlov, and stay in Budapest and Vienna.

Then we'll embark on the ms Savor for the Christmas Markets cruise. Ports: Vienna, Melk, Linz/Salzburg, Passau, Regensburg, Nuremberg. Disembark in Nuremberg, spend 2 nights there and then go to Munich for 2 nights and fly home.

I'm thrilled that both our flights, going and coming home, are non-stop! Los Angeles to Zurich on the way there. Munich to Los Angeles to come home. Yay! Sure hope this reduces the chance for lost luggage. ;)

Although the first cruise is not marked as a Christmas Markets cruise, perhaps we will get to see some of them in progress.

We'll arrive home on December 17, just a week before Christmas.

• I hope you’ll get to spend some time in Basel and Nuremberg. Both cities have wonderful Christmas markets.

• @mfrancis – Yes, we'll spend a night and most of one day in Basel and a couple days/nights in Nuremberg. I can't wait to finally travel with Tauck and visit the quaint towns during the holiday season.

I have been on a Danube river cruise in the summer months, so I'm looking forward to seeing the little towns/villages dressed up for Christmas.

• Bobbette - glad to hear. You’ll love Europe at Christmastime. We’ve done all 3 of Tauck’s markets trips and would do them again. They’re so much fun!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file