Banned plastic bags

My husband and I are going to Kenya and Tanzania in August 2023. I'm confused about what types of plastic bags are banned in both countries. At first, I thought it was just the plastic grocery bags, but other information states it's all plastic bags. The information I've read is confusing. Are little Ziploc bags banned? Are plastic zipper bags banned? I would appreciate your help. Thank you.

Comments

• All and any type of plastic bags are now banned and there are large fines. It’s pretty easy to find multi use silicone bags of all sizes these days.

• They are " ALL" banned. no exceptions and once you get there you'll see why.. Both K&T are beautiful.

• I agree, ALL plastic bags are banned, do not take the risk, not worth it.

• Are sturdy reusable plastic travel makeup/toiletry bags ok? The kind you purchase for $15 or more.

• I don't want to belabor the point regarding plastic bags. Am I correct in assuming that translucent, silicone, reusable, washable, zip lock bags are permitted for camera and toiletries? These cost about $1 each on Amazon. Is silicone not considered plastic? This is not a single use bag. Has anyone had recent experience using this type of bag? Did you encounter any problems? We did the Classic Safari in 2018 and had such a great experience we are going again June 2. Can't wait!

• edited May 2023

We used silicone bags for the K and T tour. I didn’t think Silicone was the same as plastic, that is what we will use when we go again next year.
    So I googled and found this in the first article, quite mind blowing but interesting.
    https://lifewithoutplastic.com/silicone/

• Silicone, like plastic, is a polymer, extremely durable, and will last for a long time, much longer than plastic, however it is technically not a "plastic."

Just some food for thought (not a judgement), but if many of us (those who are not chemical engineers) are uncertain as to which items are made from plastic, and therefore, prohibited, you can just imagine how confused local low level officials might be!

I don't think I have ever heard of a Tauck traveler having his/her luggage inspected for plastics. While other "plastic" items may be prohibited as well, the main products they want to keep out of the environment are single use trash bags. They don't want animals choked or poisoned by plastic trash bags and plastic shopping (Walmart) bags.

• Thank you British and AlanS. You are saying what I wanted to hear. I will take a few silicone bags. I have a tendency to overthink things sometimes! I appreciate your travel experience over the years. Your comments have always been helpful.

• I am thinking we will use "dry" bags (like you would use on a boat or kayaking) to tote our essentials that might leak or to keep stuff dry. Any thoughts?.

• as long as it is not Plastic, you may use anything you like.

• If questioned, since it is clear, just tell them it is not plastic, it's soft glass. :D:D

• We have cheap dry bags from Walmart, but intend on taking silicone bags. All we anticipate being wet are swimsuits

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file