Options

Trip deposit changes

I booked a trip for 2024 today and the deposit is now $1000, instead of $600. TA also mentioned it is fully refundable for 9 days, which I believe is new, as well.

If this has been posted before, my apologies.

Comments

• Options

BKMD....I booked a 2024 trip this past Saturday and the deposit was $600. There was no mention of it being refundable. I thought there was always the flexibility to cancel with our penalty for a few days

• Options

I suspect as the price of the tours goes up the required deposits will likely go up as well.

We placed a $600/person deposit for our 2024 trip, but we booked it in November of 2022.

• Options

Trip I booked was Portrait of India, so not one of their most expensive tours.

• Options

I meant as the price of tours go up in a general sense. I don't believe deposits are a percentage of the tour cost.

• Options

The amount of the deposit is predicated on the type of tour (land, river, exotic, et al) not on the tour itself. We did not see a deposit increase for our 2024 tour, but the deposit was paid in 2022.

• Options

The amount of the deposit is predicated on the type of tour (land, river, exotic, et al) not on the tour itself. We did not see a deposit increase for our 2024 tour, but the deposit was paid in 2022.

kfnknfzk....not sure that's true in all cases. The tour I just booked is a land tour and the Portrait of India is also land tour...I paid a $600 deposit for each of these tours.

• Options
    edited July 2023

We just paid $600 per person deposit for Tuscany and Umbria for Sept 2024

• Options

Could be. I based my comment on the posted deposit requirements as indicated in some of Tauck's brochures.

• Options
    edited July 2023

I decided to investigate a bit. I chose 4 different 2024 tours and they each had different deposit requirements:

Portrait of India - $1000/person Land Tour
    Budapest to the Black Sea - $900/person River Boat
    Iceland - $1500/person Small Ship
    Israel & Jordan - $600/person Land Tour

Not sure what to make of all of this since I don't see any correlation.

• Options

So many factors are possible, e.g. historic high pre-tour cancellation rate, number of departures per season, pre-tour costs to Tauck generated by suppliers and/or dates they come due, a new policy that may, but has not yet been applied to all tours, etc. etc. Without inside info it may not be possible to determine. In any case, it is an academic question and there is nothing you can do about it, except not book because of this minor issue. :D

• Options

I just booked the 2024 land trip to Croatia … $600 deposit.

• Options

Alan - It is an academic question that we can do nothing about, but it is still interesting to discuss. Like how Tauck decides which tombs to visit in the Valley of the Kings. :D

• Options

because of this minor issue. :D

AlanS I just finished reading the 700+ page book "The Covenant of Water". There is a discussion about minor issues or impediments as they're called in the book
    "Most impediments are minor impediments, and minor impediments are no impediments...we adjust"! :)