Options

Which tour of Africa?

13»

Comments

• Options

Thank you mil, I appreciate your suggestions for Dubai. I am looking at taking Emarets to Cape Town with a stop-over in Dubai, as with frequent flyer miles, it is only 160K for business. Delta has a direct from Miami (through Atlanta), but it is 495,000 points per ticket. Will probably spend the night in Dubai and fly out the next morning. Will use our return with Emarets to stay a few days in Dubai. We do not tour until September 24, so there will probably be many changes, but for now, Delta direct seems too costly. Does anyone have other suggestions to get to Cape Town with ff miles? Thanks.

• Options

If you have American airlines points. you can use them for Qatar. Emirates don’t fly from our home airport which is why we haven’t used them. If you have American Express and use them for booking flights, you can use the points for flights. My husband recently used his points to book flights to Africa, it didn’t pay for the entire flight but sure helped.
    If you are going to stop over in Dubai, I would stay longer than a day, we loved it there.

• Options

Thanks, British. I plan on using American Express points which can be used 1:1 on Emaretes. We plan on spending some time in Dubai on our return trip, but we thought about just an overnight stay on our trip to Cape Town if we use Emaetes for our outbound trip from Miami. I would like to use Delata direct, but at 495,000 points per ticket, I can't see my way clear to this type of reward.

• Options

Looks like your best bet is Emirates, Sandman. Since the US airlines have gone to dynamic pricing with their award flights, it’s nearly impossible to get a reasonable fare. Using partners usually works better. I just booked our Spain/Portugal trip on British Airways via Cathay Pacific for a reasonable number of miles. You might be able to book that Delta flight for fewer miles through Flying Blue (KLM/Air France).

• Options

Thanks, Dottie. I am glad I was able to find reasonable reward tickets for the past 30 years. It was always a challenge at 330 days before my planned trip to try and grab the few seats that were available when first [published Now that my points have shrunk and I no longer earn at the rate I used to, the rewards have gotten absurd!