Options

Is Paying More to Fly 1st Class on a Very Short Flight Really Worth it?

Most people would automatically say NO to paying extra to fly 1st Class for a less than 1 hour gate to gate, 30 minute takeoff to landing short flight without even understanding what benefits they will get and will miss by flying coach. This two minute video covers what one gets flying 1st class on an Alaska Airlines flight on an Embreair 175 about a short flight from Seattle to Vancouver BC. The cost difference runs with lounge access at $80 or so. Is this extra cost worth it?
https://youtu.be/RKtKtZwhI4Y

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2023

imalemon5_: The cost difference runs with lounge access at $80 or so. Is this extra cost worth it?

Why would you need lounge access on such a flight? I find lounge access is beneficial when you have a lengthy layover between connections, not where you have a direct flight with no connections.

I'd arrive at the airport in time to check-in, get through security, and get to the gate.

I wouldn't arrive an extra hour or two early so that I could go to a lounge.

Therefore, if lounge access is the only parameter, in this instance it wouldn't be worth $80 to me. If there are other parameters like in coach you have to pay for bags while in first class they are free, etc. Then as that $80 difference is reduced further then yes I would opt for first class.

I'm curious, but I'd wager that the $80 cost difference you cite is for very few flights per day and the flights during the peak hours have a much greater difference between coach and first class than $80.

• Options

Faster transit through security (sometimes), first to board and deplane, somewhat more comfortable flight experience and an opportunity to relax before the flight. It's a personal choice.

• Options

For a short flight, a waste of money, and if you think that dreadful meal in the lounge is worth $30, then you have pots of money to waste and good for you.

• Options

I agree with British and Smiling Sam. The extra 80.00 can buy me a nice souvenir or I can donate 80.00 to a charity of my choice which would actually make me feel better than flying first class for an hour.

• Options

No, it's not worth it for me - at least not on it's own. A couple of times when booking tour flights with Tauck I've had them price out just doing first/business for the long haul part and it never seems to save much so I go ahead and book business the entire sequence of flights.

Is the lounge access pre-flight worth it? Sometimes. Albuquerque doesn't have any lounges so no help there but we often have a 2 hr or more flight to a hub and the nicer BC seats are more comfortable. We also don't get meals on those flights since Delta doesn't have catering facilities at ALB. However, when we've had early morning flights coming home, the lounge has been nice to get some coffee and breakfast.

• Options

We are stopping off in Seattle before going to Vancouver. Taking the train for $36 each. Senic ride of 3 hours $36!

• Options

Hopefully you’ve allotted a bunch of extra time for that train ride. I think it’s on time less than half of the time. Good luck.

• Options

To All who replied. Please remember the goal was to describe what one gets beyond one gets flying economy when one flies 1st class on a SHORT flight. The $50 extra airfare would be for early flight bookers and is available many days months in advance on many flights. The cost the day before could be huge as 1st class seats fill up. Yes if you arrive on one hour before your flight, lounges may not be necessary. I always arrive 2.5 hours early and would rather sit in a quite lounge instead on hard plastic seats. Whether it is worth the extra dollars, I left the the viewer to decide.
    Thank you for the comments

• Options

imalemon5, you asked was it worth it and got responses. Maybe you meant it as a rhetorical question instead. We often fly SW on US trips and I normally pay for Early Bird Checkin so my husband and I can sit together not too far in the back of the plane. Worth it to me.

I agree that lounge seating tends to be much more comfortable than seating at the gate especially for long layovers. The food and drink can be a nice bonus but I've also been disappointed in the offerings at some.

• Options

Furthermore, most lounges are so full these days, that you often have to wait in line or reserve ahead of time. Some have a time limit you can stay in them. This is true even if you have a business class ticket.

• Options

waste of money.

• Options
    edited August 2023

Such a specific case- how useful is this info? What airlines offer lounge access for domestic business/1st class flights without other qualifiers??

Delta doesn't. You need to either have lounge membership, the right credit card (e.g. AMEX Platinum Card ($695 annual fee), AMEX Business Platinum Card ($695 annual fee), AMEX/Delta SkyMiles Reserve Card ($550 annual fee), or AMEX/Delta SkyMiles Reserve Business Card ($550 annual fee), elite status ("Delta Diamond, Platinum and Gold Medallion members can only access Sky Club lounges when traveling in Premium Select or Delta One seats on a same-day, international itinerary.") or pay $ (but only certain passenger categories and most only apply to the card holder, not spouse on same account nor guests. YMMV with other carriers.

Suggestion- if you are going to narrate, turn off the ambient sound and over-dub later if shooting video in a noisy environment, e.g. noisy terminal w/PA announcements, or onboard the aircraft with engines running. The background noise makes it hard to hear and understand what you are saying.

• Options
    edited August 2023

Good point Alan. If this video was being narrated near me in first class,I would find it very annoying. I’d also be annoyed if any part of me was featured., like the women”s knees on the plane 😂. but good for you Imalemon to take the time. Is I’m a lemon a significant pun, I just noticed the spelling?

• Options

A comment on the noisy environment in first class. Yes it was noisy, was it not? Noise is part of flying 1st class experience. I am not attempting to produce professional videos. There are lots of those types of video. I shoot for reality of the situation and noise was part of that reality. I pose questions for viewers to answer in their minds. I produce unique videos not produced by others. I show the reality I experienced. The viewers are free to provide the answers of whether they wish to duplicate my experience and are free to make an informed decision of avoiding the experience I provide. Thank you for your comments

• Options

Wow!

• Options

I suggest bumping your lemon count to 6!

• Options

I know an advantage we found on a recent first-class short flight is the free checked bags. When the price per ticket was only ~$50 more (it was one-way) and bags cost ~$30 to check, the difference in price came to only $20, which was worth it for us to have more space and legroom alone.

• Options

Many years ago, I flew LAX to Long Beach...the plane just followed the coast, a fascinating trip for 15 min

Also, I flew from San Jose (SJC) to SFO, a 15 min flight

Unfortunately, no meal was served on either flight!!!