Options

Tauck-Provided Rolling Duffel

We are doing the Wildlife Odyssey tour in Sept 2024, for which Tauck provides a 30" rolling duffel. According to the Customer Service rep, this is the only piece of checked luggage allowed. I need to get an underseat carryon bag with wheels with a strap that can slide onto the telescoping handle of the duffel for transport. The handle on 30" duffels does not appear very long, so I need to find a carryon with a strap that will accommodate. Does anyone have a recent photo of the duffel for this trip (or similar) that you can post or have any relevant experience with a carryon that might be helpful to me? Apparently Tauck doesn't send the duffel until a couple weeks before the trip, which isn't enough time for me to get an appropriate carryon. Thank you so much for any help that can be offered! Much appreciated!!

Comments

• Options

Do you mean a 30 liter duffle? That is an extremely large size. Just asking.

• Options

I am going to Africa, Kenya & Tanzania in June. I have called Tauck several times regarding the duffle they supply. I think they do not have people who know what they are saying. Reading this is 1st time I read the duffle Tauck provides has wheels !!! And, I asked specifically about this. It's a game changer for me.

But, I was led to believe their duffle was smaller and it's to be used on the 1 or 2 overnights we are scheduled to go on...
    Can anyone clarify ?

• Options

Perhaps you are mixing liters and gallons. The ‘old’ Eagle Creek duffel that they used for a decade or more was 59 liters. We have ten of them. They just meet the maximum carry on size for most airlines, so if they send us something bigger we will probably use the old Eagle Creek bags. A wheeled bag would be nice, but a carry on size is important in view of the fact that luggage gets lost and in Africa it takes a long time to catch up with you … if ever.

• Options

The K and T tours do not have duffels with wheels. The duffel they provide is of ample size.

Arlene, we always use a small backpack as carry on. You certainly won’t need anything bigger than that for an African tour.

• Options
    edited April 1

For the two Botswana trips, I think Tauck will provide the same duffel or one very similar to the one pictured in the link below.

https://forums.tauck.com/discussion/17151/duffel-bags-great-migration#latest

• Options

I have a question about the 30x15x14 rolling duffle for an upcoming Botswana trip. Can someone who might have more knowledge help me understand this better. It clearly states, " guests must bring this duffle, as it is their only piece of checked luggage". Originally, I had every intention of just taking this trip with only carry-on so that I didn't have to worry about a "checked" piece of luggage. I haven't called Tauck yet to inquire about this but I am just reading what it says. I have an extraordinary long layover in Doha at the Oryx hotel and staying overnight until the flight leaves the next morning and really didn't want our "checked" luggages to be laying around the airport in transit to Lusaka and then to Livingstone. That is why I just wanted to take this trip with carry-on. I doubt that this rolling duffle would even fit inside any carry-on. I could also be overthinking but as much as I've read on this forum, luggage is often delayed into Livingstone so I am a bit concerned. I know I will sort this out but still wondering. Suggestions? Thoughts?

• Options

OurTravels34, I applaud your choice of carry on only; it’s the only way I fly these days. When I took the Z, B and SA tour we were given the duffel once we reached the Royal Livingstone in Zambia. When is your departure? Has Tauck mailed a duffel to you?

• Options

Doha airport is very secure. I would trust it being ok there.

• Options

Thanks British. That 30” rolling duffle threw a curve ball into my plans.

• Options
    edited April 27

A suggestion would be to check the rolling duffel and bring a foldable carryon duffel like the Eagle Creek medium size duffel or one similar, along with your normal carryon and then once in Livingstone, pack the Eagle Creek duffel inside your rolling duffel. I'm on this same trip earlier than your trip and plan to bring two carryons and once in Livingstone, pack one carryon inside the rolling duffel.

• Options

Do your carry-on and check the empty duffel. Repack when you get there.

• Options

Sealord, I like your idea. Should the worst case happen and the airline loses the empty checked duffel, do you think Tauck would have extras in country to replace it? It would be a sensible thing for Tauck to do, but these days…

• Options

i normally use an Eagle Creek Duffel as my travel bag for journeys. Bought it an an REI, so any sort of outdoors store should carry them and that would give you an idea on how big it is and how much it carries. I've found it more than enough to carry what is needed for at least a 25 day journey and theres always ability to do laundry.

• Options

Better to lose an empty duffel than a full one. The TD will figure it out if that happens.

• Options
    edited April 27

Tauck is providing the rolling duffel bag they want everyone to use for the Wildlife Odyssey: South Africa, Botswana & Zimbabwe trip and sent the following:

"DUFFEL BAG- ONLY PIECE OF CHECKED
    LUGGAGE ALLOWED ON TOUR

PLEASE PACK IN THE DUFFEL BAG, AS IT WILL BE YOUR ONLY PIECE OF LUGGAGE FOR THE
    ENTIRE TOUR.

Due to internal flights with limited storage capacity throughout the tour, A special rolling duffel bag
    (30x 15 x 14 inches)to be used for the entire tour; will be mailed to your home prior to your tour
    departure. This duffel bag has been selected to provide you with adequate space for all items
    needed during your stay.

While larger suitcases are prohibited, each guest is allowed a small carry-on bag for your
    essentials (camera, binoculars, etc) in addition to the duffel bag weighing up to 20 KG (44 lbs)."

• Options

One great thing about the luggage limitation it's that the TD won't have to deal with 7 suitcases taken by a couple to K&T Safari trip.
    :) insane...

• Options

I think I know that couple. They are from Malibu.

• Options

7 suitcases! Really?

• Options

Yes, I remember that story

• Options
    milmil
    edited April 28

Yeap, we all heard about it, Mrs. Hollywood- 7 suitcases.... I get tired just thinking, I have to keep track of 7 suitcases. :)
    She took every Ralph Laurent outfit in the Safari edition he came out with... hats, boots etc...

• Options

I can't imagine taking so much clothes on any trip least of all K & T, when I went I took 3 pairs of pants for safaris and 1 a bit dressier for dinner which I only wore once but also used it to travel there and home.

• Options
    milmil
    edited April 29

Gladys, Hi!!
    Some people have the picture of an Elizabeth Taylor- Queen Elizabeth Safari trip.
    The reality is... you get all dusty, no time to get hair and makeup done and you burn so much energy with the excitement of the animal viewings that once they get back to the lodge all you want to do it's eat, drink and get ready for next day. I would add a massage too.

• Options

We had a Kiwi's couple on our Botswana trip. They had a break in thei around-the-world trip that they filled with a Tauck tour or two. Even they didn't need anywhere near 7 suitcases!