Options

First time going on a safari!

2»

Comments

• Options
    edited April 28

Your comment would have been better received if you framed it as how it affected you personally. We all have a right to our feelings, such as you expressed about people who are not polite when taking pictures. But to suggest that no one can enjoy an excursion if they take pictures, and should look at pictures in the National Geographic, is no longer a comment about how something affects you. It's an assunption of how someone else feels, or should feel.

I realize you didn't intend that comment to me directly.

Regarding experience in photography, in my youth, I worked as a professional photographer, mostly doing weddings and portraits - back in the film days. I shot some nice cameras, including Hasselblad. Weddings aren't that great for creativity, but they forced you to be a good technical photographer. People (actually, the bride) bought the photos and demanded good technical photos - well lit, good focus, good framing, and of the right event and people. Bad photos, no money.

We used to say that all weddings looked alike, the only thing that changed was the people. And that's true - everyone wanted the same shots. I only shot a few "unique" weddings - one was two hippies, outdoor wedding, and that was interesting. The parents were as straight as can be.

Film was much more difficult than digital. We had to get the right exposure (most cameras did not include a light meter) and you only had a limited number of shots on a roll. You had to make sure you didn't run out of shots while some event was going on, such as throwing the bouguet. They usually bought that shot. I had to tell the bride to keep her arm up in the air after she threw it because I'd wait until the bouguet was almost over the other women and they were all reaching for it. If the bride dropped her arm, it didn't produce as nice of a picture. And you only had one chance to get that shot.

I developed my black and white and some color. But color took a long time, so I used to send it out to a lab.

[Oh, the other rule was "Always shoot into the bride" meaning make her the focus of the picture, and make sure she looked good. She's the one who bought the pictures. The groom could look goofy, as long as she looked good.]

• Options

I did all of that. I hated doing weddings, and after I did one where the bride’s family hated the groom’s family, I never did another one. Fortunately, my future was in aviation. Airline Captains make a lot more money than most photographers. And, Naval Aviators have a lot more fun.

• Options
    edited April 28

Yep, it was not my life's work, either. But I enjoyed it while I did it.

• Options

Someone pointed out on the forum a while ago that if you make photo books like I do, when you end up with Alzheimer's your family can bring the photo books along and it can be something to make conversation about.

• Options

British if I made photo books like you do, my family would need a forklift to bring the books along. Just kidding. I know you like to make large, multi-volume photo books. :D

• Options
    edited April 28

Well said, mil. I'll add that some travelers are not mindful of the privacy of others. Many times, we have had a camera shoved into our faces by someone who wants to photograph every fellow traveler on the tour. One 'gentleman' even had the guest list in his hand so he could put a name to the photo. He also found it necessary to chastise my husband for wearing a jacket. We politely, but emphatically, called him out on his rudeness. He didn't bother us again.

On our 2023 Dec holiday tour, the Cruise Director actually made an announcement during the orientation meeting to remind people of simple etiquette, photography included. The same holds true for backpacks, especially while boarding airplanes. Just my opinion, but it really should not be difficult to show some decorum.

Treasure those photos! I'm sure they will bring you happiness for many years. You too, cathyandsteve. I have read that photos can unlock a distant memory for those with severe cognitive impairment.

• Options

It is one thing to say kindness matters and another to be kind. Criticizing others in the group or behaving in a psssive aggressive manner is unkind. So is name calling.

• Options

I am loving all of your comments about your photos. I take tons of photos when on vacation… every night on the vacation, I try, I am emphasizing try to go through them and delete duplicates, mis-shots from that day. Haven’t been traveling that long maybe the last 4/5 years, but I started making photo books for one reason… I said to myself, if there is ever a time that my mind is not with it, I will be able to flip the pages on a book and enjoy all my special moments… I might not be able to work an iPhone , IPad, laptop computer, but I will be able to flip the pages .

• Options
    edited April 28

Photography can be funny. I was taking a picture of my wife while we were whale watching in Alaska. I did not even notice the people in the background until I saw the picture. They apparently did not want to be in the photo.

• Options
    edited April 29

Most modern post processing software, such as PhotoShop or Luminar Neo, will allow you to remove unwanted things in a picture, such as people, electrical lines, telephone poles, etc.

Luminar Neo is especially powerful but has a learning curve. It's not very expensive. There's a lot of other amazing things it can do in post processing.

Learning to see the whole frame before shooting just takes experience.

• Options

I am posting here as the original post was about first time to Africa. Like others, I have visited as a tourist and a medical missionary to several countries.
    1. Yellow fever card-whether or not you go to a country with yellow fever precautions, do check on your airline requirements. I thankfully packed my yellow Yellow Fever card and the gate agent in Nairobi insisted I present my card even though I was only transiting in Doha and then on to Beirut(to get my mom who was visiting her best friend there). I was on a Middle East airline. I recommend that anytime one visits that continent to bring the card with you. Whether or not that rude gate agent was poorly trained or not, an ounce of prevention is worth not getting stuck!
    2. Safari clothing-I buy some permethrin spray-available on Amazon and sporting good stores-and just spray my safari clothes and hang them up to dry in the garage. Once sprayed they should be washed in cool water separate from other non sprayed clothes. I just do my own laundry for my safari clothes and let the lodge wash other items.
    3. Underwear-most countries in Africa will NOT agree to wash your undies. Pajamas probably but I still pre spray mine as the awful malarial mosquito hunts us at night. The other bad boys-Zika, Dengue, Chikungnya are day time predators.
    4. Spraying my clothes does reduce the amount I put the nasty chemicals on my skin. Do not forget to spray your socks either. Most lodges do provide mosquito sprays in your room so it is not necessary to pack a lot of cans or lotions

• Options

Sorry about the first picture, didn't mean to send that one. (did not post this when I was supposed to)

In addition of making an album I also upload the pictures to my PC and enjoy both the albums and the pictures in my PC as I don't print them all.