Options

Pre-Tour Recommended Activities for Venice

We will be taking this tour in June, and will be arriving early. We are looking for interesting places to go / see you may have enjoyed that are not covered during the Venice portion of the trip. Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    edited April 29

Try to see the Palazzo Contarini del Bovolo - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palazzo_Contarini_del_Bovolo

It's a bit difficult to find. Even if you use GPS, I found that the GPS signals were blocked by the buildings along the narrow streets. Use a paper map, and ask for directions. You may see some cops along your way and many speak English.

I think the Palazzo Contarini del Bovolo was a worth while visit. From the top, you get a nice view of Venice.
    https://www.mikeandjudytravel.com/2019-2Adriatic-11.htm#Palazzo

• Options

If interested, the Ghetto of Venice (Jewish Quarter) is located in the city center and is a nice place to stroll. There are many food markets scattered throughout the city as well.

• Options
    edited April 29

I went to the Jewish Ghetto once while we were in Venice. I was drawn to it from descriptions in some of Daniel Silva's books. But there wasn't much going on there the day I went. Maybe I chose the wrong day (it was a Friday).
    https://www.mikeandjudytravel.com/2019-2Adriatic-11.htm#ghetto

• Options

It was over twenty (20) years ago since I was there. It wasn't much of a vibrant area then, but I do remember enjoying the synagogues. I do not know if the museum is still there.

• Options

We were looking into the Jewish Ghetto as a possibility - we generally look at Jewish museums/synagogues and sites in cities we visit. Have you done it on your own in Venice, or do you recommend a particular tour or guide. Continuing thanks.

• Options
    edited April 29

It was over twenty (20) years ago since I was there. It wasn't much of a vibrant area then, but I do remember enjoying the synagogues. I do not know if the museum is still there.

The museum is still there, as is the Synagogue, but they charge a fee to enter. Venice has seen a exodus of full time residents and I suppose that has included the Jewish residents.

@sevenseas - we just went there. I don't think you would need a guide - the ghetto area is fairly small. A good guide could give you the history of the place, however.
    Here's a Wikipedia article about Jewish history in Venice. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Jews_in_Venice

• Options

My visit was a brief layover after business travel. I agree that a formal tour guide is not necessary.

• Options

The Holocaust memorial is moving. The buildings are among the tallest in Venice as the Jews were permitted to build up but not out. The tour of the synagogue was excellent. Davids Glass is (I think) still there. We bought a beautiful Kaddish cup and a ton of dreidels.

• Options

We ended the Classic Italy tour in Venice and one of the things we did on our final full day was take the elevator up to the top of St Mark's Campanile. You get amazing 360 degree views over Venice and the lagoon. It's about $10. We arrived about opening time (9:45-10) when the line was short and bought tickets. In Jun you might need to get there earlier otherwise there will be a line. Well worth it.

We also went to a glass factory on Murano. We were going to take the waterbuses/vaporetto but the hotel had a deal with one of the companies that they would pick us up and return us to the hotel in a water taxi. We only got to see that factory but the glass was amazing. Lots of shops in Venice to buy glass pieces and jewelry too.

Just walking around Venice is fun. Loads of little pedestrian alleyways with shops and restaurants. Hard to get lost. There are yellow signs that either say San Marco or Rialto. We knew how to get from San Marco to our hotel so we just watched for the signs.

• Options

Folsomdoc - Did you mean David's Shop? I ask because his shop had Judaica items in Murano glass. I purchased several glass Star of David necklaces for gifts that I remember being so inexpensive. I still wear mine, although I changed the chain. I checked their website and they are still there...since the 1980s!

Regardless, thanks for the memory.

• Options

sevenseas, how early are you arriving? Are you mainly looking for recommendations in Venice, or are you interested in venturing out of the city? Have you been to Venice before?

I really enjoyed the Jewish Ghetto because of how quiet it was, especially compared to the chaos around the Rialto Bridge! Nice Kosher Italian lunch at Gam-Gam also.

If you are not planning to venture out, then besides simply walking around and enjoying Venice you could consider the Guggenheim, the Biennale art exhibition, the Scuola San Rocco, and other excellent art museums. Also of course there is the Rialto Fish Market. I see your tour includes a visit to Murano; you could consider a boat ride to Burano, which is very charming. If you've never done a vaporetto ride on the Grand Canal or a taxi ride (better with a group to split the cost), that is really interesting especially early in the morning as the city awakens (the milk delivery boat was adorable.) We shared a gondola ride with friends not realizing that Tauck was arranging one for all of us! I don't know if they still do that.

• Options

A trip by Vaporetto to Burano is a must. Go early and wander the colorful homes around the streets and canals. Stop for lunch at any the lovely restaurants.

• Options

We were there last year and also one year ago at the end of the tour to Croatia.
    A vaporetto ride can get you to Murano and Burano on the same day. you do not need too much time in Burano, but it is a beautiful place to see and have lunch or gelato. On Murano, if you go on your own you can see many glass factories, not just one and the collections are more extensive than the ones in Venice. The Jewish Ghetto, although small, has 5 synagogues which can only be seen on a tour. Usually 3/5 are open at any one time and they are all different. Tours can be arranged online and onsite, but you will probably have more choices if you do it yourself online instead of last minute. You want to be sure to get one of the English speaking guides. Getting to the ghetto is easy..it may take 1or 2 vaporetto rides but they are cheap and fun to take. Have fun

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file