Options

Global Entry fee going up $20 in October

Global entry application/renewal is going up to $120 (from $100) n October for the 5 year term . You can renew up to a year before expiration, so you may want to do so, if eligible. For me, the renewal fee (renewed for the second time last year) is covered by my Chase Sapphire Reserve card. I assume they will still cover the entire cost, but I haven't seen anything written about it.

https://simpleflying.com/why-you-should-sort-out-your-global-entry-renewal-sooner/

Comments

• Options

My American Express card also covers Global Entry plus Clear.

• Options
    edited April 22

I'm good for five years - just recently renewed.

My wife filed for her renewal several months before I did and her application is still pending. They are extending the expiration date for a year until they catch up on all the applications.

• Options

Renewed our Global Entry on Tuesday. Got an email on Wednesday that we were approved. I didn’t think any government entity worked that fast. Online it says 4 to 6 months for approval although that may be for new applications.

Our Chase United card covered one renewal. $100 for my wife. I think the Global Entry is well worth it. Our last international trip coming in through Seattle (SEA) had 100+ waiting for customs agents in the queue. With Global entry we were able to zip through in minutes.

Does anyone know if new Global Entry cards are issued? We did the renewal online. I think the only need for the physical card is coming back from Canada or Mexico by land. We occasionally drive to Canada.

• Options

Yes, new cards are issued that reflect the new expiration date.

• Options

And you need to go online to activate the new card after you have received it.

• Options

When you renew your global entry you will get a new known traveler ID. Be sure to update your airline accounts

• Options

I received my new Global Entry card in March. It has the same known traveler number as my old one. I used Global Entry on Monday night for the first time since the renewal, and didn't have to pull out my passport at the photo kiosk or with the CBP agent. It was amazing!

• Options

itskr
    When you renew your global entry you will get a new known traveler ID. Be sure to update your airline accounts

Our number on the DHS website dashboard shows the same number as the previous number. Good until January 2030.

• Options

@JohnS that's interesting because my husband and I each got new numbers

• Options
    edited May 11

I can't positively say yet whether you get a new "Known Traveler Number" when you renew Global Entry, because I just renewed today, but according to the TSA FAQ:

Q: Will I keep my same KTN after I renew?

A: Yes. Members will keep the same KTN during the renewal process.

Be sure you aren't confusing the KTN with Renewal Application ID. Both have 9 digits but are different. (The KTN is also your Membership # / PASSID) and shown in the Homeland Security / Trusted Traveler Programs banner after you sign in.

After renewing I discovered our Delta Skymiles/AMEX Platinum card would have paid! :/

• Options

Alan, this is SHOCKING!!! You are the quintessential planner on these boards!!!!!!! I can't believe you missed the reimbursement! Maybe the eclipse caused a momentary lapse..... B)

• Options

AlanS - I assume you mean that you paid with a different card/method than your Delta Skymiles/AMEX Platinum card and therefore won't get reimbursed.

I assume that your Delta card would be just like my AA card, that when it sees the Global Entry charge it reimburses automatically, assuming your last reimbursement was outside the allowed frequency window. By that I mean, my wife and I renewed our Global Entry about 6 months apart. The AA card reimbursed my wife's Global Entry, but not mine (only one reimbursement within the 5 year window).

• Options

Yes, used Visa. :/ Oh, well.

I'm thinking about dumping my Delta Skymiles/AMEX Platinum anyway- they have reduced existing benefits and all the new fru-fru "benefits" :o I never use are not worth the new, higher annual fee. Heck, it wasn't worth it the last time they raised the fee! Back then I told them I wasn't going to renew so they offered a "special one time deal"- They would delay increasing my annual for a year if I used my card for purchases of at least X dollars in X months. I accepted since I already knew I would be using the card to pay for air for two trips in that time. Though the fee hasn't posted yet, I think my renewal happens in May, so I may have waited too long and will have to pay the higher fee this year.

• Options

If you cancel before you pay the renewal fee, they normally cancel the renewal fee.

• Options

I canceled my Delta/AMEX Reserve card, don't care much for the new changes and it's not worth the high price annual fee.

• Options

Well, that was incredibly quick and easy!!!

Our Global Entry weren't due to expire until Feb 2025, but since it is possible to apply a year early, I decided to start our renewal applications yesterday for the heck of it (and to save $40 ($20 ea.)) :D After just one day we received email notifications that there were changes to the status of our applications. Using our email addresses and passwords, I signed us on to the CBP website. Low and behold, our renewals were approved. Our new expiration dates are now Feb 2030!!! This was the second renewal for each of us. Quick and easy!! :D:D

And yes, as I stated above, both of our Known Traveler Numbers (KTN) stayed the same.

• Options

I understand the issuing agencies and validity periods are different, but it would be nice if passports and global entry were linked together so you could renew both at the same time.

• Options

And it would be nice if passports had a 10 year 6 month term, since the last 6 months are uselessto get into imost countries.

• Options

You don’t have to be a U.S. citizen to get global entry. It is available for citizens of a number of other countries.

• Options

Our new cards have arrived, 10 days after renewing. That was super fast...

• Options
    edited May 17

@AlanS - Take a look at the Chase Sapphire Reserve card. Hefty annual fee but you get $300 back if you use it for travel.

Big thing for me is that it provides $10,000 per person (limit 2) in travel insurance per trip. See the card site for full details.

It's a Visa so more places take it than AMEX.

• Options

We just got our new cards- 7 days!!!

• Options

Mike, I love the CSR card. Especially the pay yourself back feature. It covers that fee in no time if you’re charging Tauck travel.