Welcome to Tauck’s Rhine Enchantment, Milan to Amsterdam Forum

Welcome to Tauck’s Rhine Enchantment, Milan to Amsterdam Forum - Find the answers to your trip questions, answer questions posted by fellow travelers, plus share your Tauck experiences and stories. Stop by often and join in on the discussions.

Comments

• This is the new trip for 2018 but when I went online most of the single spots are already limited space. I don't want to get stuck on the bottom of boat again seeing others get upgraded before me, occurred in 2015 Seine river cruise, people on first trip upgraded the day they arrived for free when I have been on multiple Tauch trips since 1974.
  • This is the first year for this trip. Have all the details been completely worked out? I don't want to sign up for April trip and be a "test/trial" run. Please let me know the status. Thanks.
  • Is there free wi-fi on these riverboats?
  • All information about Tauck tours can be found on the tour page for the indidvidual tours. Weather, wifi, insurance, what you might like to wear and so and so on
  • judybh wrote:
    Is there free wi-fi on these riverboats?
    There is free wi-fi on the riverboats. It may not always work quickly depending on where you are, but it is available. Tauck always covers the wi-fi costs if part of the tour is in a hotel.
  • Welcome to Tauck’s Rhine Enchantment, Milan to Amsterdam Forum - Find the answers to your trip questions, answer questions posted by fellow travelers, plus share your Tauck experiences and stories. Stop by often and join in on the discussions.

We are looking forward to Milan and cruising up the Rhine. Two years ago, we were on a tour of Portugal and Spain with Tauck and had a marvelous time. Can check out the results at www.imagetripping.com/gallery 47.htm for Lisbon. Galleries 49-53 feature Spain.

Having been to Alsace on business 4-5 times, I am familiar with Riquewihr- phenomenal wine and scenery. Colmar and one Riquewihr photo is on www.imagetripping.com/gallery26.htm.

Best viewed with a PC to hear the music scores for each gallery.
  • Anyone ever do shore excursions to either Zurich Or Basel. Torn between both. Ant input or suggestions would be appreciated.
  • I've been to Basel on our Rhine/Moselle cruise but we had a choice of Basel or Lucerne. We did Lucerne (which was wonderful) since we were staying extra days in Basel. I can't speak for Zurich, but Basel doesn't have all that much to see. There is an interesting red rathaus/town hall building, a church and a kinetic sculpture garden. There's some shopping but very pricey like all of Switzerland. Not much else. It's more of a business city than a scenic one.

The advantage of taking the bus ride to Lucerne was getting to see more of the country. Since you're doing the train ride through the Alps that might not be as appealing. The sights in Basel aren't walk-able from the ship so you'll take a bus ride there as well, just a short one.

Enjoy

• Thanks for the reply to my shore excursion question. Anyone else have an opinion?
  • Since this is new for 2018 you might not get any replies.

Try googling "top 10 things to do" in both locations and see which list looks better to you. I thought Basel was a bit boring since I like more historical places but it has some wonderful modern architecture. The convention ctr across from the Swissotel where we stayed was quite unique.