Welcome to Tauck’s Rhine Enchantment, Milan to Amsterdam Forum

Welcome to Tauck’s Rhine Enchantment, Milan to Amsterdam Forum - Find the answers to your trip questions, answer questions posted by fellow travelers, plus share your Tauck experiences and stories. Stop by often and join in on the discussions.

Comments

• This is the new trip for 2018 but when I went online most of the single spots are already limited space. I don't want to get stuck on the bottom of boat again seeing others get upgraded before me, occurred in 2015 Seine river cruise, people on first trip upgraded the day they arrived for free when I have been on multiple Tauch trips since 1974.
  • This is the first year for this trip. Have all the details been completely worked out? I don't want to sign up for April trip and be a "test/trial" run. Please let me know the status. Thanks.
  • Is there free wi-fi on these riverboats?
  • All information about Tauck tours can be found on the tour page for the indidvidual tours. Weather, wifi, insurance, what you might like to wear and so and so on
  • judybh wrote:
    Is there free wi-fi on these riverboats?
    There is free wi-fi on the riverboats. It may not always work quickly depending on where you are, but it is available. Tauck always covers the wi-fi costs if part of the tour is in a hotel.
  • Welcome to Tauck’s Rhine Enchantment, Milan to Amsterdam Forum - Find the answers to your trip questions, answer questions posted by fellow travelers, plus share your Tauck experiences and stories. Stop by often and join in on the discussions.

We are looking forward to Milan and cruising up the Rhine. Two years ago, we were on a tour of Portugal and Spain with Tauck and had a marvelous time. Can check out the results at www.imagetripping.com/gallery 47.htm for Lisbon. Galleries 49-53 feature Spain.

Having been to Alsace on business 4-5 times, I am familiar with Riquewihr- phenomenal wine and scenery. Colmar and one Riquewihr photo is on www.imagetripping.com/gallery26.htm.

Best viewed with a PC to hear the music scores for each gallery.
  • Anyone ever do shore excursions to either Zurich Or Basel. Torn between both. Ant input or suggestions would be appreciated.
  • I've been to Basel on our Rhine/Moselle cruise but we had a choice of Basel or Lucerne. We did Lucerne (which was wonderful) since we were staying extra days in Basel. I can't speak for Zurich, but Basel doesn't have all that much to see. There is an interesting red rathaus/town hall building, a church and a kinetic sculpture garden. There's some shopping but very pricey like all of Switzerland. Not much else. It's more of a business city than a scenic one.

The advantage of taking the bus ride to Lucerne was getting to see more of the country. Since you're doing the train ride through the Alps that might not be as appealing. The sights in Basel aren't walk-able from the ship so you'll take a bus ride there as well, just a short one.

Enjoy

• Thanks for the reply to my shore excursion question. Anyone else have an opinion?
  • Since this is new for 2018 you might not get any replies.

Try googling "top 10 things to do" in both locations and see which list looks better to you. I thought Basel was a bit boring since I like more historical places but it has some wonderful modern architecture. The convention ctr across from the Swissotel where we stayed was quite unique.
  • All post are 2018 or earlier, with no new information for us . We are doing this trip in October 2022 so are seeking fellow travelers and more information on Milan.

• edited August 2022

Cindy, see current thread, Rhine Enchantment, Aug. 24, 2022. Btw, sorry Claudia, Basel is anything but boring, being the museum capital of the region, I am planning a Basel & Bern art tour; some tour companies offer just that.

• MarketArt,

I don't know if you have been before, but Basel has a museum that chronicles the history of medicinal remedies and how they are/were produced. We found it fascinating. It is housed at the University of Basel.

The Marketplatz is another place to wander endlessly. You will find local food as well as some specialties from all over the region. The medieval architecture, especially in the old town section is beautiful.

Yes, I agree that Basel is far from boring, but we all have different likes and dislikes. Enjoy your tours. Perhaps some day Tauck will offer food and museum tours.

• Market Art, I was comparing Lucerne to Basel which I still prefer having been to Lucerne twice now.

However you make a point I've said in other threads - that asking others what you should see at a particular city is somewhat useless since your interests and theirs may differ. I'm very much into researching locations myself - guide books, websites, videos, etc. Then if you have a particular question and can't find the answer hit the forum and ask

Different strokes for different folks. It's all good.

• Agreed, of course & yes, I love Lucerne. Thanks for the museum tip, kfnknfzk. I am castle/fort/palaced out and not much of a wine drinker, so not many Tauck Europes left on my bucket list; am now repeating. Next year I'm on a short Tauck tour to France and then I will take Eurostar to UK for a Cornwall art tour with ACE Cultural.

• MarketArt
    I am castle/fort/palaced out and not much of a wine drinker, so not many Tauck Europes left on my bucket list;

You forgot to add cathedrals to your list. :D

• MarketArt
    10:35AM
    . . . I am castle/fort/palaced out and not much of a wine drinker, so not many Tauck Europes left on my bucket list; am now repeating.

Time for exotics with scenery and animals- Africa, India, Antarctica, US southwest, Alaska, Patagonia, Costa Rica, Galapagos (or P&G) and depending on how you classify really old temples and tombs, Jordan & Egypt.

• edited August 2022

CindyL
    August 26
    All post are 2018 or earlier, with no new information for us . We are doing this trip in October 2022 so are seeking fellow travelers and more information on Milan.

As Claudia says, it was a new tour before the COVID shutdown, so you won't see much in the archives.

The fastest way to get info on Milan is to do a search on 'Milan.' That will return 25 pages of old and some newer, 2019 - 2022, results. You can also access the archives from the category lists at the right of the page for the three other tours that visit Milan.

"Bellissima Northern Italy" and "Lake Cuomo . . . " under the Italy category
    "Grand Rail Adventure . . . " under the Austria, Czech Republic & Hungary category

You may be the one to provide the latest info! :)

• We have found that sometimes the best memories are made by deviating away from the throngs of tourists and exploring on our own. No guides, no maps, no set schedule. Just go out and walk the side streets and greet the locals with a smile. We have found many lesser-known museums this way (such as the one I mentioned in Basel) and some excellent cafes offering local cuisine.

• edited August 2022

Actually I still stop in, briefly, to cathedrals & churches, esp. for stained glass both ancient and contemporary and Gregorian chant rehearsals, which have been surprisingly easy to find. And again, everyone has preferences. Sorry, not an animal person (flag me if you must), much prefer Kyoto/Hong Kong/Vancouver/Melbourne/Wellington. I remember on Hokkaido tour a woman almost caused a bus crash b/c she screamed whenever she saw a fox, etc. and scared driver half to death; she couldn't believe I didn't take the tour for the wildlife. Did enjoy the cranes! And as much as I'd love to see India, the heat would do me in, as it nearly did at high noon in Marrakech, in March. p.s. I can recommend Tauck Patagonia but once was plenty; I do plan to return to BA for summer break, adding it into my Lima and Reykjavik rotation.

• Will be on the Rhine Enchantment tour from Milan - Amsterdam starting Oct 22, 2023. Looking forward to being on a River Cruise for the first time.

• My mother-in-law and I are doing the Rhine Enchantment from Milan to Amsterdam June 30, 2024. I'm very interested in learning about recommended tours or about other experiences that we shouldn't miss.

• We were on this river cruise in Oct/Nov of 2022. We were on the southbound trip from Amsterdam to Milan but everything should be essentially the same, just reversed.

I posted a short review in a separate thread. If you are interested, you can access it by clicking the link below.

Review - Rhine Enchantment Southbound

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file