Options

Problems with Auric Air on Kenya & Tanzania tour

We are currently on the Kenya and Tanzania trip, and I want to make readers of this forum aware of an issue with air travel from Seronera Airstrip at Serengeti back to Arusha on Day 6 of the tour. We were told this was a charter flight, with three Cessna Caravan 208 aircraft (12 pax each) carrying our group of 28 back to Arusha from the stay at the Four Seasons Serengeti. We were told the night before our 7 am flight that planes would be assigned at the airport, which made me uneasy because it did not sound like each plane would have a manifest (important to me as an experienced aviation lawyer). I persuaded myself it was OK, because it was a charter and all folks on the three planes would be Tauck guests. We arrived early, before the airport opened, and once processed by the airport, we boarded the three planes, in random groups, decided by our tour director and us seconds before we boarded the plane. We boarded, and as the first plane took off, the pilot in the second plane, which I was on, said we had to turn back from the runway to get some leftover bags. As we got closer, it wasn't only bags, it was a group of 8 Asian tourists and their very large suitcases (not Tauck dufflebags like we were limited to) that were trying to get on the two remaining planes. We said no. Our Tour Director was on the first, departed plane, so the Tauck guests were left to deal with this situation. The Asian tourists were very late for the flight, and we believed they were not supposed to be on the flight at all. Auric Air pressured the pilots to take the late arriving tourists on our flights, and they boarded without being on the manifest. The pilot of our plane refused to take any of the Asian tourists, and said he wanted only Tauck passengers. The more senior Auric Air pilot took all of the Asian tourists on the third plane. However, the pilot of our plane, the second plane, read us his manifest, and it did not have the names of the passengers actually on the flight, even though all names he had were Tauck guest names. They were the wrong names. My husband daughter, and I were not on the manifest, but we were on the plane. We flew to Arusha, and complained to our Tour Director. He then told us that the planes were not Tauck charters, but were regularly scheduled flights. Even if that was true, Auric Air should not have gone back for the late passengers at the expense of the Tauck passengers, and they should not have flown with inaccurate manifests, and with unmanifested passengers on board, which they did. This is a violation of aviation rules and raises serious safety concerns about how Auric Air is operating. Separate from the safety issue, it is clear that Auric Air does not value their relationship with Tauck, or have respect for Tauck passengers. They chose to go back for non-Tauck passengers who failed to show up in time to be on the scheduled flight. Auric Air decided those 8 tourists were more important than the 17 Tauck guests on board the planes, who got up early, had to have bags ready at 5 am, and left for the airport at 5:45 a.m. We have serious safety concerns about the remaining flights on this trip based on this morning's experience. We almost left the tour in Arusha this morning, but have decided to stay because we are told that the remaining three flights are scheduled flights, not charters, on Air Kenya, and Tauck has represented to us that Air Kenya has no relationship with Auric Air.

Tauck has yet to address this situation, but they need to stop operating with Auric Air, an unsafe airline in my view. Future Tauck guests should refuse to fly on Auric Air. The planes say Auric Air on the outside, but the safety briefing cards say Air Excel.

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2018
    While I think that having to turn back was inexcusable, though clearly out of the Tour directors ‘s control, we have been on many small African planes on five tours to Africa. Apart from turning back, your description is always how it goes. The tour directors often don’t know what the planes will be until they land, so I am pretty sure there is no manifest. The smallest plane I have been on in this incidence is one with just five of us, the sixth seat next to me was plied with luggage. The youngest pilot looked about 16, I can remember the men looking at her with open mouths when we got to the plane. she just said, yes I know I look young but I am 26 and she certainly had lots of experience. These days I feel safer in planes than on the road where I am constantly surrounded by people looking at their cell phones.
    When I go on the K and T tour for the second time in one year, it will be nteresting to see if anything has changed, but I doubt it, because that is how the bush planes appear to operate in Africa.
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    I did K&T a few years ago. We had non-Tauck passengers on at least two flights and even one on the balloon flight. While I understand your concern, unlike the flights on Australia & New Zealand, I don’t believe Tauck ever characterized K&T on-tour flights as “private Tauck Charters.” They are only charters in so far as they are not regularly hard scheduled. It sounds to me you like you are not familiar with and possibly a bit afraid of small planes, and that you initially got yourself in a snit because you were under a misconception they were Tauck only, then wrongly tried to interject yourself in and control a situation where you had no right. As to baggage restrictions- use of duffles is a Tauck requirement to make it easier to pack the aircraft and safari vehicles.

As British stated, your Tauck TD will often not know flight times, aircraft, etc. until just before the flights- as the saying goes, this is Africa- you gotta chill and roll with the punches. Airlines come and go, buy-outs and bankruptsies are routine. Young pilots come here (and other similar places around the world) to get their first jobs and start building hours. Unless you were bumped, missed Tauck activities, incurred additional expenses, etc., because of the passenger/flight issue, or the pilot was unsafe, I would just write this off to experience and enjoy the remainder of your trip.

P.S. I am not a lawyer, but I have a lot of civilian airline passenger time, single engine aircraft private pilot time, and several thousand hours of military tactical jet crew time.
  • Options
    The originator’s story is not consistent with our experience in July nor our previous K&T trip. Our flights were charters and there were no other passengers (though I’ve been on Tauck flights where there were), and the planes were all operated by Air Kenya. No one was processed by the airport as there was no one there. There was no passenger manifest, and the pilot never said a word to anyone including me, and I was in the right side pilot seat. The tour director siimply counted noses and said, this group on that plane, and this group on this plane. Though many of the details are similar to our experience, the flight details are not consistent with our experience. So, for future travellers, I would not worry too much about this flight as the originator’s experience was a bit out of the ordinary.
  • Options
    Thanks, Alan S and British--sounds like Tauck regularly books its guests on flights operated by airlines which are cavalier about aviation requirements, and the need to have an accurate record of the souls aboard each flight operated. Helpful for us to know, as we are not afraid of airplanes or flights operated in the manner regulated by aviation authorities around the world. In this case, our pilot admitted to us that Auric Air "screwed up" on the additional passenger issue, but each pilot made his decision on departing with the passenger manifest that he had, even with knowledge that it was not accurate. The senior pilot amongst the pilots was in his 50's, and not inexperienced.

I am just an experienced aviation lawyer, but my husband has been President of nine airlines.
    Our family is passionate about aviation safety and believers in aviation personnel following the rules. There are airlines in Africa which share this philosophy, but Auric Air appears not to be one of them, based on our experience.

If we have to be willing to "chill" and roll with the failure to follow aviation regulations, then Tauck is not for us. Appreciate you helping us to put this in context!
  • Options
    What a surprise!
  • Options
    i do not understand what the nationality of the late passengers have to do with anything. i would be annoyed about the plane going back to the gate ( before it left the ground ) unless it was me left behind.
    i am not a expert passenger but i do not see the fact the manifest was not on the plane ,( i would hope the T d and the airline administration would have one ) is some sort of CHILL
    i have not been on any commuter train that carried a manifest
    tauck is the most caring and expert travel co we have used and i trust their due diligence
  • Options
    Pat2Mike: Thank you for your comment about the nationality of the late travelers!
  • Options
    MCD wrote:
    Pat2Mike: Thank you for your comment about the nationality of the late travelers!
    Yes, I had the same thought and maybe a small Asian and a large suitcase in general equals an overweight American ???? ok, that was not politically correct either. ( I am American by the way) I want to add that one of my Africa tours was not with Tauck, and it was the same. KKoorenny, if you do research when you get back from the tour on how these small planes operate in Africa, please let us know. I trust Tauck would know who was on the planes if there was an incident. Who was your tour director, I know four of them and they are excellent.
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Pat2Mike wrote:
    i do not understand what the nationality of the late passengers have to do with anything. i would be annoyed about the plane going back to the gate ( before it left the ground ) unless it was me left behind.
    i am not a expert passenger but i do not see the fact the manifest was not on the plane ,( i would hope the T d and the airline administration would have one ) is some sort of CHILL
    i have not been on any commuter train that carried a manifest
    tauck is the most caring and expert travel co we have used and i trust their due diligence

Pat- these flights are primarily from dirt strips, no taxiways, and few have anything you could call a terminal. Most have a shack with one unmanned, small locked room and no RADIO. More often than not, before takeoff one of the safari vehicles will need to chase zebra, gazelles, etc. off the runway. ????

Final thought- manifest aboard the aircraft? It may be a requirement for a number of reasons in the modern aviation world, but pretty useless if you are in a small aircraft and crash and burn????
  • Options
    l ,pat 2 mike were on the K & T in 8/2018.and we have been using tauck since 2001 on our annual get away. If i didn't hide my wife credit card ,she would have bought more stuff in that shack

to British. I am a life member of the S.A.R. and even if you were British, I wouldn't mind .

• Options
    edited January 2019
    Sorry, this post still intrigues me. I’m not an experienced ‘aviation lawyer’ but I am a retired airline pilot with well over 20,000 hours of flight time, and I am a trained accident investigator.

Things that are not clear to me in this post:

1. If the airport was closed when the group arrived, how did they get ‘processed’. (We were not ‘processed’.)

2. Why arrive before the airport opened, if you needed to be processed?

3. If the airplanes held twelve, then there would have been two groups of 9 Tauck guests and one group of 10 on each airplane. (Tauck was a group of 28.). One airplane had departed so there was a maximum of 6 seats left for the 8 Asian tourists.

4. But one pilot refused to take them, so they all went on the third airplane. (3 empty seats available.)

5. None of them were on the ‘poster’s’ airplane, so how does she know who was on the manifest or not on that manifest, of the third airplane?. (No manifest was apparent or revealed on our flights.)

6. Do you have any questions about why my bs light is flashing?

Perhaps there are simply a number of missing details. (;-)

P.S.

Oh, by the way. I don’t know the rules and regulations of Tanzania, but U.S. airlines will not normally reveal the names of passengers on a flight to a third party other than law inforcement ... like homeland security, or the agency of a foreign country for international flights.
  • Options
    Sealord -- I too found the original post intriguing and googled the poster. Obviously I cannot answer your questions -- but if you do a search you will see that she is in fact a well known and very well respected aviation attorney. (Assuming of course that the screen name is really that of the poster -- which I am willing to assume.)
  • Options
    If Judy was able to google the said lawyer so easily, that’s crazy, I just don’t understand the fuss about it.
    K kooreny, I want to here about what you thought of the rest of the tour and the other flights.
  • Options
    I awoke this morning worrying if a lawyer is going to start sueing Tauck and that my upcoming next and dream tour of K and T and Rwanda is in jeopardy. I have been perfectly satisfied with Africa flights on Tauck in the past. In fact, we really enjoy the fact that we can turn up to a dirt airstrip just minutes before our flight, have a plane land, get straight on it and take off. When we did the Botswana tour and one of the flights was from the bigger, more usual type of airport at Maun, we sat in an uncomfortable, hot and crowded terminal and missed the informality of the usual African bush flights. I cannot remember if we used the airport K Koorenny mentions because the K and T tour has changed quite a bit from when we last took it and that was about twelve years ago. It may have been a particularly long very very bumpy road trip that we took between locations back then.
    I do hope that K Koorenny keeps the forum informed of her investigations.
  • Options
    You worry too much.

Statistically, people who make their first post to a forum with some off-the-wall story usually don't return.
  • Options
    I have no skin in the game . i am just interested in learning as much as i can, in travel, from those who know

Auric Air receives BARS GOLD certification by Flight Safety Foundation

We are delighted to notify you that we have completed the latest BARS audit and have received our BARS GOLD certification for the coming year, 2018-2019, kudos to our entire team for making this possible!

https://flightsafety.org/bars/
  • Options
    Thanks for the last two posters. Yes, it is not a mechanical or pilot safety issue that seemed to worry the original poster. I bet it was a pain for the Tour Director to cope with a disgruntled passenger and probably even more worrying for those people flying in a bush plane for the first time. And if the pilot was receiving messsages from his company during the flight and having to have dialogue with the passenger arguing about whether to turn around, isn’t that a big issue, distracting the pilot? There is often no co pilot and sometimes there is a passenger sitting next to the pilot, Mr B. Has enjoyed that experience.
  • Options
    I have no skin in this game either. That said -- just because somebody who is not a frequent poster has a different take on the African flights does not make her a "disgruntled passenger" or somebody who posted an "off-the-wall story." It appears that she has certain standards regarding the flights she takes and obviously should have investigated the way flights work in Africa before booking the trip. Lesson learned I would imagine. As I said -- I googled her. This is just one article of many. To me -- this is not somebody who deserves to be so easily dismissed for expressing what to her (and perhaps to others thinking about booking the trip) are real concerns.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/airlines/2013/07/26/meet-kathryn-koorenny-the-lawyer-who-may-have-saved-american-airlines
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    British wrote:
    . . . There is often no co-pilot and sometimes there is a passenger sitting next to the pilot, Mr B. has enjoyed that experience.

Say it isn't so! : ) "Buckle up ladies!"

IMG_1969r.jpg

Maybe it was the tone, the strident nature of the OP telling those of us who have taken this tour that what we experienced was somehow terrible, and not like we experienced?? I may not have been successful, but tried to come up with some parallels:

"I'm a sommelier, all the wine on XX ship was swill."

"I'm a travel writer, and the offering by XX tour company was just so-so, e.g. the turn-down service was so lacking."

"I'm an art critic, and frankly the tour company wasted my time by taking us to the Vatican museums."

You get the idea.
  • Options
    Yes Allan, I rode that seat out of the airport in the Seringeti also.

I find the Dallas News article referenced by Judy to be interesting and it raised more questions. In her position at AA I would think that she would be aware that boarding “irregularities’ happen all the time that result in the ‘manifest’ being less than accuarate. They happen less often with the present day systems, but they happen. I took a man to Oakland who thought he was on a flight to Aukland. I took a man to San Jose, CA who thought he was on a flight to San Jose, Costa Rica. Before 911, I once travelled to New York on a ticket with someone else’s name on it. That would have made the ‘witness protection program’ proud. It occured to me when I arrived in New York that I had effectively disappeard from San Francisco. People still manage to get on the wrong airplane with or without a ticket. You say, “How do they get through TSA? Hmmm. I’m pretty sure Tauck provided Auric with a passenger list with the names of the people on the three airplanes. On the twelve or so Tauck flights I’ve been on, who was on which airplane was never a concern. And no one checks the ID’s of the people boarding the airplanes, so how is the pilot supposed to know who he is really carrying? And guess what? There is no bullet proof cockpit door.
  • Options
    the tauck travel forums , i thought , was to share inform future travelers on the ups and downs of what they might experience on the tauck tours and to improve their travels

please forgive me but i am further along then pre K

• Options
    milmil
    edited January 2019
    I did this tour last Sept. 2018. My group took the same 3 small planes and it was perfect. No issues with safety, overloading the aircrafts and no one else besides Tauck passengers. I think a bad experience doesn't make it a regular practice.... The TD's are always on top of the logistics on these tours ( reason why Tauck is a top company) ... but sometimes changes happen... no ones fault.
    What... I do get from your report is a little frustration & unwillingness to let the situation go... (thanks for sharing your unfortunate experience ... but if this was the norm, "I know Tauck would have done something about it.. "

Just be gratefull you got to the next town safe and that you had the chance to do this AMAZING!! trip.
    and be more kind to other passangers. * What goes around... comes around! *

For everyone who is reading this Post about *** the experienced aviation lawyer, whose husband has been President of nine airlines......., experience.... *** :(( I feel sorry for the president of "The 9 airlines.." , the husband.!!! :):):)

Please, have your own story to tell.... enjoy this amazing trip, live your own experience and enjoy the animals.....

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file