Options

"Been There" Virtual Travel Quiz? Round #29

See Round #20 for info about and rules for the contest.

Round #26 won by MCD
Submitted by BKMD. Photo of a suspended orange tree in Old Jaffa, an area at the south end of the Tel Aviv, Israel. Jaffa is thought to be the oldest port in the world, with its history going back 4000 years! This is a work of art by artist Ran Morin, who created the statue in 1993 can be found in the Lion alleyway.

Round #27 won by TravelGuy
Submitted by AlanS. The Sun Gate at Machu Picchu, Peru. 1.2 mi. and 1000' of climb on a rough, rocky, steep, trail from the entrance to the main archaeological site. Peru & the Galapagos Islands.

Round #28 won by AlanS and Portolan.
Submitted by JohnS. Sadhus in Kathmandu, Nepal in front of Pashupatinath Temple (cremation site). The Sadhu's are frequent users of cannabus- smoke it and drink a beverage infused with it. The pictures were taken on the Tauck Northern India and Nepal tour.

Round #29 is officially open. Submit your photo in a reply [Leave a Comment] to this announcement.

Comments

• Options

Where is this room located? Town? Exact location? What is special about this room?

• Options

I know which tour it was (I'll hopefully be on that same tour later this year), but otherwise am clueless.

• Options

A hint is the picture on the far wall.

• Options
    edited April 2020

The closest thing I could come up with is The Morse Bar in the Randolph Hotel in Oxfordshire England. The only thing I could find of importance is that the British TV show inspector Morse was filmed here.

• Options

Kathy M - You mean the picture with so little resolution that it is useless!

• Options
    edited April 2020

I know, I know, but photo didn't help. Old MacDonald had a farm, Ee i ee i o I've heard there used to be a telegraph office there where they would use Morse code to send messages, but I didn't get a chance to Inspect it. Oops, too slow with the vague hints!

• Options

The picture could be this bloke named John Thaw but even blowing it up the resolution was too low to really see much.

• Options
    edited April 2020

My wife knew right away! We've watched all iterations including "Inspector Lewis." Now for British crime drama we watch "Midsomer Murders" on our local PBS station. We also just started watching "As Time Goes By" starring Dame Judi Dench. They just restarted running it from series one. We also watched "Downton Abbey", the original "Call the Midwife," "Poldark," "Doc Martin," and the short-lived recent show "Sanditon." It must mean something that we watch these shows, but I don't know what.

• Options
    edited April 2020

KathyM

Should we consider this round done?

• Options

AlanS - A new series from the writer of Dowton Abbey just started. It is Belgravia. Based on the other things you watched I’m sure you’ll like it.

• Options

Definitely. The Randolph is the hotel where the Tauck tour stays. It's quite quirky. You walk around and around and up and down to find your room.

• Options

Omg, yes. The most confusing layout. Had to follow the signs eveytime we went to and from our room. The only place more confusing to me was my office in the Pentagon. Took a week to get to where I could do it with no wrong turns. At least by the time we were at the Randolph they'd updated some of the decor compared to the Morse episode filmed there - 1980s tacky.

Alan if you need more Brit watch, we just added Britbox to our streaming. Already had Acorn.

• Options

British tv shows, how about Vera, staring Oscar winner Brenda Blethyn?

• Options

I read the book Belgravia a few months ago, it gets very predictably very soon, it’s by a patch on Downton storywise It’s on Epix channel.
    Also highly recommend National theatre Live on Yourube, this week it is Jane Eyre and fantastic. I’m missing my theatre visits so much!

• Options

Vera is part of why we added Britbox since they have it now. Also Shetland for the same reason - makes me want to sign up for the Scotland small ship tour. I like Britbox program offerings but not their interface.

FYI, on the Rick Steves forum there were multiple thread of people looking for similar programs during this bout of social distancing i.e. sitting at home trying to pass the time. Lots of good suggestions.