I'm jealous of all of you that I've seen post stories where you got refunds, miles back, etc. 'almost' instantaneously when you requested them. My personal experience is somewhat different. I have three trips in particular that I had/have to deal with due to the pandemic (Not counting a SW trip that we've simply changed the dates on twice with no change fees):
Flight one: Roundtrip on Icelandair business class, Seattle/Reykjavik for the Iceland tour. Once Tauck cancelled I began the process to request a voucher (just a voucher because we rebooked the tour for 2021) on May 6th.
1) First step was to fill out a form on the Icelandair website. Done on May 6th. Received a case number.
2) Not having heard anything, on June 1st I called Icelandair. After having to listen to endless taped messages before you can get to a person, I got to speak with an agent. She reviewed the case and said she'd move it along to the next queue. She said I could sit in that queue for up to 3 weeks.
3) Again, not having heard anything since my call, I called Icelandair again today, the start of the 3rd week since my last call. They had revised their taped messages to make it even more painful to actually get to a person. I prevailed and got a person. She looked into the situation. She asked me to fill out another form on the web. She actually led me through the process. She assured me that I would get the refund within 24-48 hours. I told her that the form she was having me fill out was the same form I completed on May 6th. She disagreed. Anyway we completed our call. In a few minutes I received an automated response from Icelandair assigning me a new case number, with the exact same automated message I received on May 6th. I was accepting this.
4) I called back again, prevailed through the endless taped messages again until I got to a person. I explained the whole process that I had been waiting since May 6th, trying to get a voucher. The agent put me on old to discuss my case with her bosses. She returned after about 5 minutes and assured me that my case was being expedited and that I should receive my voucher within 24-48 hours. I thanked her and then said I needed to do the same thing for my niece who was booked on a separate reservation. I had been doing all of this process for her in lock step. As we started the process for my niece we got cut off. Guess what that means. Call back in and go through this all again with a different agent.
5) I called back, went through all the process again and about 30-40 minutes later I got the same assurance for my niece.
6) Happy ending, finally, my voucher arrive via email about 4 hours after my last call. My niece is at work so I don't know if hers is in her Inbox. I hope so
Flight two: Roundtrip to Seattle for personal trip on American using miles. Had to cancel. The miles were restored within 24 hours and taxes credited to my charge card. Yahoo - This one worked just like the stories lots of you have posted.
Flight three: Pending. I've described this case previously. It is for my roundtrip to/from Cairo on American for the Egypt: Jewels of the Nile tour in October. My routing both directions takes me through Rome. As of right now, my legs to/from Rome to/from the States have been deleted. All other legs of my reservation remain. The outcome of this is pending, to be dealt with assuming Tauck cancels the tour.
Moral of the story: Expect to got to 'war' with Icelandair to received a voucher or refund.