Odd Tauck update e-mail

I got an e-mail today from Tauck thanking me for updating my profile. Since I hadn't done that, it made me a little worried. It turned out when I scrolled further down that it was letting me know that Tauck had updated my reservation to show my gift of time day for my June 2021 Ireland trip. Still no word on my September 2021 Canada trip gift of time day.

Anyway, I wanted to let everyone know that if you see an e-mail from Tauck with the subject "Congratulations - you're up to date!", it may contain your gift of time confirmation. You can ignore the big heading at the top of the e-mail that says, "Thank you for updating your profile information."

Comments

• Thanks Ken, we got one of those last week too.

• edited September 2020

Yep, we got one that said it was a "reservation" update then in the body it was a "profile" update. It was adding the GoT. Same day got the usual statement showing the GoT added along with the price. Still waiting to hear about a different trip that actually will occur sooner than that one. They are slowly getting their contracts in place.

• Yes, but oh dear,I don’t think tours will be going in the first half of the year.That’s two more of my tours sure to be cancelled.

• I got an e-mail today from my TA with the update that I had the gift of time for my June trip to Ireland. What date does your tour start, Ken? I'm on the June 1 tour...if it happens. I, too, have 2 trips scheduled for the first half of the year, and one for September.

• It is still a long way off and I know it probably won't go, but room rates for pre and post tour nights at the Dead Sea and Cairo hotels haven't been published yet for our March Jordan and Egypt trip.

• ALAN, I certainly hope you're wrong and that you'll be in Egypt soon!

• I received the same email today for the GoT for my re-scheduled 2021 Jordan-Egypt trip.. Haven't cancelled the December 2020 JE trip even though I'm certain there isn't a sno-balls chance in hell that it will take place (for those of you who are not familiar with Southern summer cool off treats - a sno-ball is served in a cup and consist very finely shaven ice topped with deliciously flavored syrups, condensed milk, other dreamy toppings--it keeps you cool on a hot summer day) B)

• Pure Luxury -- We Yankees have the same expression,,,but spell it "snowball." Of course, we have a lot of experience with snowballs!

• Yes**, MCD**...I lived in Boston for 5 years. I was glad to leave those "Snowballs" behind!

• Growing up in Seattle we called them Sno-cones.

• A frequent NYT crossword puzzle answer!

• edited September 2020

Swerving back to the original topic and my most recent post above :) , we received the "Thanks for updating . . . " email from Tauck also, but today we received a new Summary of Purchase that finally included the room rates for the Dead Sea and Cairo hotels, along with our gift of time. The "Thanks . . " email must have been auto-generated and sent a bit early. Pre and Post stay room rates have still not be posted to the website tour page.

Still hoping the tour will go.

We called them "Snow Cones" or "Sno-Cone" in New Jersey too. In Hawaii they are Shave Ice as opposed to Shaved Ice. :) I actually prefer the finer ice of shave ice over the more granular sno-cone ice of my youth.

• edited September 2020

MCD-
    We are on the June 8 small groups, so we won't be seeing you then.

Alan-
    Yep, I got the Summary of Purchase later that day, too. Nice to have the more formal document.

I am still hopeful that we will be able to get the vaccine before tour and the tour will go. I'm counting on we seniors being given a higher priority than the general public and (unfortunately) that people's concerns about vaccines will result in more vaccines being available for those that want them.

• edited September 2020

I hope so too. I have a couple of factors I hope will yield higher priority- I will likely get vaccine at nearby military base. It doesn't do any good to vaccinate the military and not dependents, and while their at it, they might as well do retirees. And, I have at least one co-morbidity.

• Got the Tauck print brochure for Europe and North America in today's mail. The cutoff for the Gift of Time is December 31 this year.

• edited September 2020

I’m still not convinced that the likes of us will have the vaccine before mid 2021. Yes I know I’m a kill joy but I’m trying to be realistic. But, if we can get the virus under control in the US in the next few months, then that may mean we may be able to travel anyway as long as the countries We are visiting will accept Americans. If we wear mask, it really does seem that it gives us a good deal of protection. I agree that there will be many who will refuse to have it for a while until it appears to be safe and effective. I’m not being political here, but Biden was the rise person I heard explain things exactly as I have been saying on his Hometown meeting this week. Another example he gave was that would be no vaccine for children in the first Round of vaccines, that’s normal with any new drug, they do different trails for children.
    I wish when we were marooned In Borneo in March that we had understood what it meant by being in quarantine when we returned to the US. I thought at the time that we would arrive back in the US and be made to go into some kind of detention center for two weeks. I kept getting all our clothes laundered so I would arrive there with plenty of clean clothes. I had two extra weeks worth of drugs with me but I was concerned if I began to run out whether I could get any more. If I had known that going into quarantine would be going home and staying home, I would have been a lot calmer. As it was, we were never even asked much at all when we arrived back via Boston and nothing when we arrived in Philly. Now if we had to quarantine at home after being on a tour, we could easily arrange everything, being retired and not having to worry about getting back to work.
    I hope that we don’t get to the point Where we have to get visas and then find our tour gets canceled, I’m not sure how Tauck deals wit that expense.
    Anyway, it’s Friday night and time for a cocktail, cheers!