Options

African memories

Comments

• Options

The chimps were rescued chimps and were part of Jane Goodall's chimp sanctuary. Many of them were in small cages for years. POCO is the name of the chimp in our photo.

• Options

Our coldest day in Africa was on the day we visited the meerkats on the Botswana, SA, Zambia tour. It was definitely colder in Botswana than in K&T on balloon day and overall.

We arrived at the meerkat burrows before sunrise and waited for them to emerge to warm themselves with their tummies facing the sun. It was cold and windy, but luckily the drivers had fleece-lined, waterproof, hooded parkas for us to wear!

This little guy had trouble climbing up my wife's slippery parka.

Our friend Valerie encountered a very unafraid and friendly little guy:

• Options

Yes British. We were also in the ‘basket on it’s side’ pre-launch picture.

• Options

Great photos Cathy

• Options

Don’t miss that menacing hippo!!

• Options

Sealord
    4:29PM
    Yes British. We were also in the ‘basket on it’s side’ pre-launch picture.

The silver and brown puffer jackets are dead giveaways! :D

• Options

Cathy: it was my first African adventure - K&T! I wanna go back!!!

• Options

No, it was the regular tour but our tour guide heard the migration was a few hours away from the area where we landed the hot air balloon — so after a sumptuous breakfast in the bush, we chased after the migration. And we were rewarded! It was a LONG day but so exhilarating ... we left the beds at 4am and returned for a late dinner...best day ever!!

• Options

Thank you for allowing me to relive the day!! Seems like it was another life but it was in July 2019!

• Options

Cathy, in truth, it’s the people that you meet that creates the most wonderful memories. To hear their stories and gain a better understanding of their lives is truly the gift that travel offers.

• Options

One of our favorite memories was visiting a school, listening to the children and teachers, and talking with them. They are so poor, have so little, but are happy and trying their best. They appreciate education and it made us all feel good to hear their stories.

• Options
    edited March 2021

• Options
    edited March 2021

The Cheetah and Rhino above were both in the wild on our first K&T. The Cheetah was spotted after sundown, so we ended up going back to the lodge in the dark. For those who have not been there, the top picture is at what was William Holden’s Mount Kenya Safari Club.

• Options
    edited March 2021

We enjoyed our trip to the Tanzanian Tenguru Cultural Center and Coffee plantation the day before the tour started! We have been drinking Tanzanian coffee ever since. (K&T 2018)

• Options

Rest stop at the lake and lunch in the bush!

• Options
    edited March 2021

The amazing view of Ngorongoro Crater from our room and the visitor's area!

• Options

A pregnant cheetah in the Serengeti.

Mother and baby baboon in the Serengeti.

Mother and baby monkey in the Serengeti.

Even baboons like a swimming pool. At the Manyara Serena pool.

• Options

It was pouring with rain when we saw the mom with six baby cheetah cubs

• Options

So sad about Tanzania.
    John Magufuli: Questions raised over missing Tanzania leader https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-56347756

• Options

Virginia_Travelers
    4:01PM
    Rest stop at the lake and lunch in the bush!

All the vehicles and people make it look like a Walmart parking lot! :D:D

• Options

LOL It certainly was interesting to see all the vehicles and people at the Lake. Another time we saw a lioness sitting on the road right in front of us ready to pounce on a gazelle you would have thought we were at a football game. There had to 15 jeeps and 2 buses ready to see her let loose. Sadly, it never happened. Too much distraction.

• Options

Just the luck of the draw Cathy, we have had as many as three male lions together right next to our vehicle. That’s why Africa never gets old for us!

• Options

Cathy - The lions seemed to be plentiful at several locations during the K&T tour. Here was a group just lounging around about 15 feet from the vehicle in the Serengeti.

• Options

AlanS
    All the vehicles and people make it look like a Walmart parking lot! :D:D

Here is my safari traffic jam picture. All of the vehicles are in radio communication with each other so when something of particular interest is spotted there seems to be a rush to get to the viewing area. This logjam was in the Ngorongoro crater.

• Options

Smiling Sam - that photo is hysterical !

Cathy and Steve - yes our trip did come upon lots of lions. At one stop, we spotted 6 lionesses. They saw us and simply walked around our vehicle. You could have just reached out to them.

• Options

Seth, our superlative TD in the orange shirt, organizing our group to participate in the Maasai warrior dance and a mother and her baby besides their mud hut which we all got to enter and see on the inside. All the ladies brought out their colorful clothes for us to see. The men could jump we estimated 10 feet high during their dance. Their cadence, dance, and jumps were mesmerizing. Anyone guess they jumped higher ????

• Options

Cathy - Did a Coke bottle fall from the sky?
    (If you don't get the reference, let me know and I'll explain.)

• Options

On K&T lions on almost every kopje! and in many trees

This one must have recently had a big meal. Check out its belly!

A bit earlier, the now dozing female in this couple was on its feet, much closer to our vehicle, and staring intently at my wife. We have cats at home and are familiar with their body language. My wife swore she saw it doing the little dance cats do just before they leap, so she quickly dove for the floor. No cat attack and our guide just laughed. :D

• Options

Sometimes they have to recover from life in the wild.