The Air War begins
I just had a looong chat with a Delta rep and follow-up with a supervisor. First, it appears they don't want to deal or make promises about upcoming issues until it is an actuality- it appeared to me they are hoping for policy changes and updates in the meantime??? While I don't want to wait, run out of time, or be be stuck with no options and lose over $12,000. Refunds are not an option.
Anyway, we have two sets of flights- one to change/cancel and book new and the other to change/cancel and re-book: XMAS Mkts 2021 to Jordan & Egypt 2022 and Greece 2021 to Greece 2022. Due to previous re-bookings, changes, etc. the expiration dates and expiration dates of vouchers that could result from cancelling will come up quite soon and they affect our ability to avoid losing REALLY BIG bucks and ability to re-book.
According to what I was told, right now it looks like we may need to change both sets of overseas flights to a quick/cheap domestic flight and complete those flights very soon, so the excess value can be turned into vouchers which we can use to book next year's international flights. Additionally, one flight can not be booked until one day after the eventual voucher may expire- a catch 22 so we will need a waiver. While the supervisor couldn't do anything for us right now because we aren't in the 330 day booking window for either set of overseas flights, she still held out hope that Delta would work with us just like the person I talked with a month or so ago told me. They just couldn't do it now since next year's flights are not on the the Delta schedule yet.
I need to call back and see if I can get a good Customer Relations email address so I can send them in writing what I understand is my situation is. I'll ask them to confirm it my situation, tell me if a waiver of the expiration dates or modification of the process is possible, and if we can avoid taking two wasted, short flights