Options

TAUCK'S AIR DEPARTMENT

Does anyone have the phone extension for Tauck's Air Department? If you don't mind, could you post it here? With all the phone delays, it would be better for me to call there direct for a price quote.

Comments

• Options

There is no separate number. When you call the main number, there is usually an option for the air department.

• Options

I called the air dept yesterday {Wendesday} morning about 8:30 am their time. It was not a problem getting to air dept and there was no wait. They had a specific number to click.

We made air reservations for a trip in April '22 and the person told me we would be getting an email with the flight details but we havent received one yet. Is that the norm? I cannot recall from the last time we had them get our air.

• Options

I know you can call the air department by dialing in their extension. Unfortunately, I have misplaced that extension number. Hoping someone else has it!

• Options

The Tauck site shows "Your tour departure date is approaching. If you need to make a change to your Tauck booked air, please contact the Air Department at 1-800-468-2825 " when I click on my arrival/departure info. I used this number on Monday and still had to go thru the regular voice prompts, I believe it's option 1, then air was option 3.

• Options

British: I followed your lead and checked airfare with Tauck's Air Dept. and they said there is no public option, the only airfare they quote (that you can book) is the Tauck Airfare. Unfortunately, the Tauck Airfare was over $2,000.00 more than the online airfare. Any suggestions?

• Options

Your choice is to book on your own (we almost always do) and hope that if the trip is cancelled you can cancel your flights for credits (or cash) and use them to re-book air for another trip or this one again in the future, or book with Tauck and pay a little more but be guaranteed you'll get a refund. We had no trouble getting refunds/credits for two sets (2020 and 2021) of flights for 3 tours from Delta.

I think the option for different flights (with a different carrier) may be a thing of the past and that alternate flights or routing may be limited to Tauck's contracted carrier(s). Tauck does not do price matching.

• Options

Many crazy, I don’t understand, we have done this many times, recently just a couple of weeks ago.

• Options

Contrary to a prior comment, I, like British, have selected my own flight itinerary and Tauck has booked for me. Granted, I have done this only on domestic tours. It is essential, however, to have your desired flights ready. It could be that Tauck has temporarily ceased this practice due to COVID-19, although British was recently successful so it apparently is still a viable option. I am not sure what was meant by "public option" and perhaps neither did Tauck. Again, my suggestion is to know the flights and routing you wish before contacting them. Good luck.

• Options
    edited July 2021

My question- have these alternate flight itineraries been with non-Tauck-contracted or non-US carriers? That makes a big difference. Tauck has to accommodate varied itineraries because people are flying from different places, going early, leaving late, connecting to another tour, etc. etc. I've selected different itineraries than proposed by Tauck and Tauck has accommodated me, but I've tried several times to fly on a different carrier than one of their 2 or 3 contracted carriers and they can't or won't do it- e.g. Ethiopian to K&T, Turkish to J&E. Also, they won't book a full itinerary if the departure/arrival airport is not serviced by one of their contracted carriers (or alliance member). You need to get yourself to a suitable airport.

• Options

Although being an Alliance member is no guarantee. When I was booking airfare for what was supposed to be our 2020 Switzerland trip Tauck had nothing to offer except a bad itinerary with United via Frankfurt. Yet Delta/Air France had a very good itinerary and decent price. Tauck couldn't book it. The agent agreed it was a better deal than she could offer. Thankfully when it all got canceled I had no problem with a full refund.

• Options

I’m beginning to realize that people are assuming I get some kind of deal on pricing with Tauck, I don’t! They just book what I want and I pay the going advertised and current rate.

• Options

One thing I was surprised to find out was that Tauck's contracted price w/the airlines changes. I figured it was a set price under their contract so it did not change. When I had to change my flights for Switzerland due to the 40 minute connection, I asked what the current price was and it was higher than when I reserved my flights w/Tauck. It did not go up much, but still went up.

• Options

If you change the time of day for a flight, it can change the price.

• Options

Also, even if the origin and destination remain the same, different intermediate stops for connections can have different taxes which can sometimes be considerable.

• Options

and of course, everyone knows, fares change depending on the day of the week.

• Options

The Tauck air agents I dealt with provide different service. One won't look beyond the contracted fares. Another will but could not book the reasonable itinerary/fare I found because her link said none were available. (There were and I booked) Sometimes they are able to book the better itinerary and fares I find. But at least she looked. Most recently, she understood the fare and schedule Tauck offered was unreasonable (my summary - only one option with ridiculous departure and arrivals time and stops-I am going on vacation not a marathon or on budget travel!) but she was gracious and encouraged me to book the more desirable itinerary myself. She said Tauck offers airfares as a service and was not full service agent. I think that policy reflects poorly on Tauck - they should be full service for their loyal customers if they want people to deal with them directly - they save the travel agent's take on the direct booked trips and would try to assist customers if offering a service. I do not want to nickel and dime Tauck, just have my planning made easier. Alan, I understand I can always make my own reservations but offering only one take it or leave it option on a $16K pp trip is unacceptable. Customer service means making an effort to please.

• Options

bucketlist: Thank you your posting. I agree with you. I wish Tauck had a way customers could get price quotes on airfare on their website, like the cruise lines have. This would allow Tauck customers to check prices on flights, and, if and when they were ready to book airfare, they could. This would eliminate the lengthy hold times on the phone and speaking to a rep.

• Options

Booking air is a big challenge for me.We have gone on several trips usually arranged thru a travel agent.Since we started with Tauck we have booked air separately as well as through Tauck.The last time we booked by ourselves thru Delta because Tauck could not book air for us with a stop over in Seoul before VCT trip last February.We were nearly stranded on our return at Bangkok airport because Delta while changing the international leg from Tokyo to Detroit failed to make arrangements for Bangkok to Tokyo;Trying to reach Delta during that week (2nd week of March just before the pandemic)was next to impossible.We ended up buying tickets for the flight from Bangkok to Tokyo that morning so we could make the flight back to US.I think if we had booked thru Tauck we might have avoided this nightmare.After back and forth communications and several emails and complaints Delta refunded the entire trip cost after 6 months!So with our trips this year we are booking thru Tauck even If it means a bit more expensive.I did compare the costs for our first trip coming up;did not seem to be that different.So for now we feel comfortable booking air through Tauck despite the long waits for connecting to them!

• Options

I can only assume from what Bucketlist has said, that we have been fortunate in getting an agent who will do more for the customer than some do. We always do our homework on flights before we call. When the pandemic stabilizes a little more and most tours are a go, then we will probably start booking the flights on our own again for the five times points on our Amex card. Unfortunately, two of the we do have booked, Israel and Jordan, and Singapore Bali, I wonder if they will be cancelled next year too.

• Options

If I were to guess, Tauck does not want to become a full service, including air, booking agent. It would require staff well beyond what they currently employ and they would likely be required to book air only if someone desired. I have no clue what travel agencies make, but at one time the airlines cut travel agency commissions in the 90's and were (still are?) trying to get rid of them. As far as profit margins, from what I have read airlines have one of the lowest of all service industries. If so, travel agencies who must also compete with consolidators and online only booking companies like Travelocity, Expedia, Kayak, Priceline, etc. will be making even less. Individual travel agents make more from booking trip packages, cruises, hotels, etc. than they do from the airline tickets. It is all very confusing, but you can read about it here:
    https://hostagencyreviews.com/blog/how-do-travel-agents-make-money

• Options
    milmil
    edited July 2021

I got one agent that was a pleasure to deal with , she was so helpful and gave me some ideas.. that was last Tuesday. Then I called Thursday and I got a sergeant , zero creativity and not willing to hear what I was asking. :(
    some people love their job others... work to survive.

• Options

We started using Tauck since we found their air prices were often competitive with what we were finding online, especially with the option to cancel before final payment. We thought the service would be better if there was a problem, until there was a problem. We were booked with a connection through Montreal for a flight to Europe (from Boston.) Just before we were leaving for the airport, we discovered the first flight was delayed and we would miss the connection. (we got no notice oft he delay from Tauck or the airline) Called Tauck on the way to the airport --- after some confusion they came up with a connection in Toronto but that connection had an impossible time to make the next flight! Meanwhile I was doing my own research and saw a flight from Newark - a short hop from Boston ---with a direct flight to our destination. Finally Tauck booked that and we got approved as a standby and got on the flight. We were happy to be on our way to vacation!

mil - same experience as we had. I like your characterization of the sergeant!

We will continue to consider Tauck but will also look on our own. Our decision will be based on price as the premium is not worth the price difference. Also Tauck insurance covers self booked air.

• Options

I learned the hard way to be wary of US-Canada-Europe itineraries b/c there are usually fewer options out of Toronto and Montreal, should something go wrong. Though on my last Air Canada flight, returning from Asia, service was exemplary. And lol when I admired the accoutrements, flight attendant insisted I take them home as souvenirs.

• Options

I agree with MarketArt about being wary of the US to Europe itineraries through Canada. In Vegas, Air Canada has one flight a day to Toronto and if it's canceled or delayed, you're looking at a 24hr delay. To top it off, the ground staff in Vegas is contracted, so they don't have the authority or knowledge to rebook your flight. When our plane was delayed (sure to miss our connection to Copenhagen) we were told to go to Toronto and talk to Air Canada there. "Will you pay for our hotel?", I asked. "Ask Air Canada when you get there", I was told. We called AC and rescheduled for the next day instead. Wasted trip to the airport.

However, once onboard, service is fully adequate.

• Options

Its amazing to us that Tauck has held it together so well during this pandemic, with every nation's swiftly shifting regulations, and likely with virtually no money coming in. They are juggling the individual quirks of so many customers on a hope and a promise that the world of travel will emerge once again. It's enough to make you tear your hair out (hope there aren't many bald people working at the company). Sometimes the Tauck air contracts don't work for what we want but we've had good luck, Tauck has been helpful in the past -- with a medical emergency one time, and we find their communications and service to be extraordinary, so no complaints from us.

• Options

Absolutely! I have never had an issue with either the booking representatives or the air department. Tauck's customer service has always been exemplary, and I thank them every time I have the pleasure of speaking with them.

• Options

do all of you experienced veteran tauck vacationers find that tauck airfare usually has a better price for business class or is it just a crap shoot.

• Options

Bobbon5357 -- I always inquire what Tauck's business class airfare would be and it has always been more than the price that I can get independently. Some people are willing to pay the extra cost for the convenience -- especially when a tour is cancelled.

• Options

My experience has proven that I receive very competitive business/first class rates with Tauck. I do, however, fly in and out of a major U. S. hub. There are many other benefits of booking air with Tauck, especially during these very uncertain times due to the pandemic.

• Options

Unless I decide to book a trip just a few months before departure, at a time when fares have already gone up and continue to do so, I find I can always beat Tauck's business fares and get as good or better routing.

The one time we signed up for a tour at the spur of the moment, just a few months prior to departure, Tauck's business class fare beat anything I could find on my own by a significant amount. I normally book (and pay) on the first day of the 330 day booking window.