We made it

Comments

• edited September 2021

Fran (welcome to the forum as a poster) - I'm sure AlanS (the forum guru for everything relating to Jordan or Egypt, and especially the GEM) can weigh in with respect to the GEM. You might miss its opening by a bit, but let's hope not. I'm scheduled for this trip in October 2022 ( originally planned for October 2020). I also did the Israel/Jordan tour in 2018. Good luck.

Perhaps you can post comments on the forum with respect to your November trip, assuming it happens. All of us with upcoming dates for the same or overlapping (like Jordan/Egypt) tours love to hear about your experiences with things like: masking, testing, security, etc. in addition to all of the great things included on the tour.

• edited September 2021

franlovestravel Hello & welcome to the forum. Great folks and great information can be found here. I'm on the December 12 J&E tour. Please let us know about your experiences in Jordan. I was on the November 2019 Israel Jordan tour but left the tour after the visit to Masada because I already had the J&E trip booked for December 2020--we know how well that worked out :'(

Cheers--Robin

• edited September 2021

franlovestravel
    11:37AM
    . . . . I'm also curios about what's left at the Old Egyptian Museum to see and how that experience was for you. Like all of you I've had to reschedule this trip 3 times and want to go, but not crazy about wearing a mask. AND would love to see the new museum since I've waited so long anyway. Thanks Fran Berry

Fran, from everything I've read almost all of King Tut's stuff and a lot of other items have been moved to the GEM or GEM restoration labs or, like the royal mummies, been moved to the other new museum, the National Museum of Egyptian Culture (NMEC). I suggest you continue to follow this thread, which Cheekyrn updates daily. She'll be in Cairo in just a few days.

• AlanS... Hello :) you forgot to ask Cheekryn about boarding the "Falucca" is it on a regular ramp or those skinny boards with nothing more than a string to hold on, if lucky :) ......

• milmil
    edited September 2021

AlanS, I just bought the microfiber evaporation cooling towel , great tip. question are they reusable, how many times ?
    I got it in Amazon ! $10.00 for a 2 pck. just what I needed.
    Thanks

• AlanS - Do you know if they have plans to replenish the old museum with anything now that a lot of its biggest attractions have moved to the GEM? Until the GEM opens, will the original museum still be worth a visit, if it hasn’t been replenished with new attractions?

• Fran, you will be wearing a mask on the plane, everywhere if Tauck keeps its promise. I forget I’m wearing one most of the time. Take spares so you can change them frequently which some airlines require already. They should be changed every few hours, once they get wet, they are not as effective

• Smiling Sam I just got all my documents and it still says visit to the old Museum... nothing else. not really sure what's to see? they have removed everything . Maybe Tauck is throwing in a surprise !

• I got a FLAG!!! love it.... Looser has gotten up. :))) booooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

• I certainly will post. I have to pay for my airline tickets by the 29th of September and vacillate between going and postponing until later next year. The GEM opening is a huge reason, plus I've never gotten used to wearing a mask. So thanks for letting me know you don't think much about it - plus who knows what conditions will be next year. I'd hate to wait and find out conditions are the same or worse.
    to Mil, I love your idea that Tauck might have a surprise for us! Thanks Alan S. I will continue to look at the thread - very informative.

• franlovestravel I contemplated changing my travel dates to "hopefully coincide" with the opening of the GEM in 2022 - as I really do not see it opening in 2021. At this point, in my opinion, the opening of the GEM is a moving target. As AlanS previously said, they may wait until November 2022 to have a really grand splash to mark the 100th year anniversary of Howard Clark discovering Tuts tomb (hopefully their dependency on tourism dollars will not allow an extended delay). I'll just rely on my childhood memories of visiting the King Tut exhibit when it toured New Orleans in 1977. I had previously planned to stay an extra day in Cairo to really tour the museum beyond the time allocated by Tauck; however, I'm ready to travel-NOW. Perhaps my travels will take me back to Egypt in the future. Inshallah.

• Hi Fran. In regards to your question about masks..when we are within just our group masks are not necessary..when we are touring outdoors masks are optional…anyone in the tourist industry, hotels , guides etc are mandated vaccines…when we are dining, swimming masks are not necessary..when we are in bus and I am looking out the window I have noticed that the local population does not wear masks

• franlovestravel HI!!!
    I think there will be a surprise.... I cannot imagine Tauck not delivering and leaving everyone with an empty feeling.. they like to WOW! everyone... and we all know the GEM will not open anytime soon....So, they have to wrap up the trip with something BIG , besides Cairo deserves a grand finale.

• edited September 2021

I check the English language Egyptian and Cairo news sources daily. Other that the last 'promise' that the GEM will open by the end of 2021, I have seen nothing new. There is activity- they are finishing filling up the display cases with Tut's stuff (75 of 100 Tut cases are now filled)- there is tons of it (over 5000 pieces?) and as many as 2000 items have never been on display.

As I said, they have removed a lot of other stuff from the the old museum at Tahrir Square, too- smaller statures for display in the GEM and larger pieces for the GEM's grand staircase. The royal mummies were moved to the NMEC, etc., etc. but I have not seen a good rundown of what might be left at Tahrir Square.

The NMEC is open so Tauck could substitute a visit there - not as much stuff as the Old Egyptian Museum, but it is a new museum and items are presented better. A visit is likely a comparable experience to a visit to Tahrir Square. MANY years ago the the Old museum was very sad- Tut's golden mask was in a simple wood and glass display case like you'd see in an old mercantile with no special lighting, sarcophagi were just piled against the walls, some had fallen over. There were few if any descriptions, some had come unglued and had fallen to the floor- most of them looked like they were typewritten using an old manual typewriter- seriously! Things have improved over the years, but again, who knows what is left in the old museum.

Contrary to a rumor that got the local populous riled up, they don't plan to tear down the old museum. The building itself is a UNESCO site! Currently they plan to renovate and update it. One report said they are working on a new presentation for the prehistoric antiquities hall, the ancient state halls, the Greco-Roman and Late Antique Period antiquities halls in the museum and a hall to display the fabulous discoveries made recently in Tanis, and possibly objects from the sunken port city of Heracleion near Alexandria. It has been said, with the exception of Tut's tomb, the discoveries at Tanis, or the newly discovered Golden City of Aten on the West Bank of Luxor, rival anything found so far throughout Egypt. Your guess is as good as mine as to when the sprucing up of the old museum will be completed or if part of it may be open now.

The Egyptian government, from President Al Sisi, to Minister of Tourism and Antiquities, El Anany, to the secretary-general of the Supreme Council of Antiquities, Al Waziri, on down and including Wazi's famous predecessor and the face of Egyptian Archaeology, Zahi Hawass, have been actively supporting and heavily promoting the GEM. Egypt REALLY wants and needs the tourist dollars so I'm hoping that continues to drive the GEM to completion sooner than later. Those of you who saw the Golden Procession of Kings when they took the royal mummies from the old museum to the NMEC earlier this year know Egypt likes Cecil B. Demille grand events. The opening of the GEM will be a really big production, possibly involving the transfer of Tut's mask as the centerpiece of the ceremonies. The government hopes it will be attended by many foreign heads of state and dignitaries. That will take a lot of work and planning over and above what is needed to complete the GEM. I am hoping for a "soft" but full opening before then!

There is so much to look forward to! In Luxor they have removed hundreds of homes and even a mosque, church, and a palace to restore the 1.7-mile long Grand Avenue of the Sphinxes or Road of Rams- an avenue of nearly 1200 smaller ram's headed sphinxes that connects the Temples of Luxor and Karnak. It should be completed sometime this winter. During destruction of the palace they discovered the ruins of a Roman temple underneath it- things like that can slow a project down! There is so much history and antiquities in Egypt, it would take years to visit it all! :)

Final philosophical comment about the GEM- we have been trying to go on this tour before we had even heard about the GEM, (over 3 years), so, if we are unfortunate enough for it not to be open, it will certainly be disappointing, but not a deal breaker.

• Thanks for all the comments! I did see the Golden Procession of Kings on TV and it was magnificent! However the November trip unfolds, I know Tauck will make the experience special. Loved reading your comments AlanS. Plus all the day to day info (Cheekryn)while on tour is very helpful. Thanks again. Have a safe trip home.

• I forgot to mention, before things got really busy and they got in the way, private, but expensive ($250+?) behind the scenes tours were available. Something like that might be starting again or nighttime small group tours- who knows what Tauck will be able to arrange.

• I'm all in for the private behind the scenes tour. I remember reading it was about 4 hours long in duration when they were initially offered. I will gladly pay the additional fee if given the opportunity to get a glimpse inside the GEM. It's highly unlikely I will return to Egypt just to visit a museum. Fingers crossed Tauck will be able to work a little magic!

• edited September 2021

Hi Franlovestravel - we were on the Israel /Jordan tour starting October 7, 2018. Maybe you were too? There was a Frances from NY on our trip. Our TD was Jennifer. If you were you can send a PM to us on top right of forum page.

• CHEEKYRN Love !! where are you? Hope you are having fun :))

• Update: More info about the old Egyptian Museum of Antiquities in Tahrir Square.

It appears that it has been open throughout its renovations. It also sounds like the displays of remaining objects, of which there are still many, will be much improved for a variety of reasons, not the least of which, is there are less items (vs way too many before). The staff has been working on all the displays, new signage, more detailed and informative captions, etc. Staffs of the Louvre, the British Museum, Turin Museum, the Egyptian Museum in Berlin, etc. have been assisting.

The bottom line is while it is no GEM, the EMA will be a very worthwhile visit if the GEM is not open.

You must first read your way past a number of paragraphs about the GEM in this June 2021 article in the AL-Monitor before you come to the section on the old Egyptian Museum:

https://www.al-monitor.com/originals/2021/06/egyptian-museum-antiquities-gets-makeover-compete-tourists

• Hi all. So sorry for the delay in updates. We were on the river boat for 3 days with really poor wifi..the river boat was terrific…food, service, cabins were all delightful…we visited Temples Luxor/ Karnak and valley of the kings. All tours were amazing. But still almost unbearably hot…a few of the tours I did the guided section then once free time was given I went back to the bus with AC…today we transferred to Marriott mena house…all plane transfers were completed without difficulty…we visited the Egyptian museum Many, many displays…almost overwhelming with how much there is to see…we had lunch right next door at the ritz Carlton before visiting the museum…our guide said the GEM won’t be open until next year..we drove past it..it is next to the pyramids..it is massive…

• Cheekyrn I assumed you were on the river cruise portion of the tour with poor wifi. Glad to hear from you. I guess we all knew the GEM wouldn't open this year; however, that didn't stop us from hoping beyond hope. Your tour guide has validated our assumptions. Glad to know there is still much to see in the Egyptian Museum.

I'm surprised Tauck offers the Egypt tour in August/September. I'm sure they must get numerous complaints about the heat. Although you have managed to participate in the outdoor activities; imagine how much more enjoyable your tour could have been if you could take full advantage of the free time to roam. I would have been so disappointed if I couldn't hike to the monastery due to the extreme heat.

I'm sure it was an amazing journey. Enjoy you last few days and safe travels home!--Robin

• ****Cheekyrn**** a question re: Jordan. Did anyone in your group arrange a visit to Bethany Beyond the Jordan—said to be the baptismal site of Jesus by John the Baptist? Perhaps it’s something than can be done on the pre-tour start day. I think the site is fairly close to the Kempinski hotel.

What other activities/sites did others take advantage of during the “free downtime”

Nile River Cruise— did you have time to relax & enjoy by the pool? Did women have to wear a bathing suit cover-up when lounging on the deck (if you lounged as I know it was miserably hot outside).

Pyramids: Is dusty conditions a concern when visiting the pyramids? I’m starting to think about wardrobe choices/colors. What about footwear for that area—do you still recommend closed toe shoes or are sandals or a Teva - Keen type shoe (closed toe but exposed foot area) appropriate?

Thanks & Safe Travels Home—Robin

• milmil
    edited September 2021

PureLuxury Hi.
    I booked that visit with the Kemp. concierge , but after searching and reading reviews ... I even asked the concierge... it looks like the Jordan side is pretty small and almost abandoned , best way to see it and bath in it is on the Israeli side, but you would need a visa to enter Israel and go through the Covid drama.

Did women have to wear a bathing suit cover-up when lounging on the deck? I'm sure not .the boats are directed by international -private companies and even so .. unless you are showing to much cheeks.. Egypt & Jordan are more open minded than most people think. of course always be respectful

Cheekyrn hi, could you kindly give me an idea about the Falucca ( Ramp) - I'm just asking..so I can let my mom know what to expect and accommodate her embarking and disembarking...., some days she has balance issues..
    Thanks.

• MCDMCD
    edited September 2021

PureLuxury -- I was in Egypt in November of 2016. When I was out and about touring, I always wore my slip-on Sketchers. You definitely want full foot coverage around the camels. I wore long-sleeved cotton or linen shirts, mostly white or beige. (Though I must admit, my favorite color is beige.) My photos show a lot of people with long-sleeved tops, but no one wearing a jacket. I'd still recommend taking a light jacket, though. I wore lightweight slacks. I think it would have been too warm to wear jeans. There was a pool on the sundeck, but I don't recall seeing people use it. I'm sure that you know that for mosques, wear long sleeves and long pants and a scarf to cover your head.

• ****mil**** & MCD thank you for your responses.

Since I dropped off the Israel-Jordan tour after the visit to Masada, I asked my travel mates if they visited prior to the coach entering Jordan. They did not. I can only assume Tauck doesn’t think there is much to see even if it is considered a landmark of Christianity. I’ll do a bit more research and then make a decision.

****Mil****—when you reserved the tour with the concierge, were you required to provide a credit card to reserve the spot? How long was the tour scheduled for and was it an early departure? I really want to take advantage of the extra day and see something historical in the area that’s not included on the Tauck tour. Any suggestions?

****MCD****thanks for the shoe advice. I’ll make sure to steer clear of the camel poop. I’ll bring the Keen shoes as they are enclosed, good grip sole, lightweight and can be easily cleaned & quick drying. I’m planning on linen pants and long sleeve light weight cotton tops. Even in December I’m sure the sun will be strong. I like to protect my skin as much as possible. I don’t think I’ll have heat issues. I’ll definitely have a lightweight jacket for my time in Jordan which I know will be a bit cooler and perhaps more comfortable in December.

-Robin

• milmil
    edited September 2021

PureLuxury, hello.
    Here is the email for the concierge @ the Kempinski. - concierge.ishtar@kempinski.com>
    I booked about month ago , but decided to cancelled- only the Baptism site tour

Baptism Site Tour- 4 hours
    Date: 26th September, 2021
    Time pick up at hotel: 09:00 hrs.
    Car Type: Premium Size (Mercedes E-Class)
    Cost: 110 Jordanian Dinars (To be added on your room account)

all tours or xtra activities through the concierge are always added to the room bill- no cc require at booking- private tour ,you don't pay directly to the operator.
    You should book at least weeks in advance to make sure everything is good.
    I did booked a full day in Amman

Amman City Tour- 5-6 hours

Date: 25th September, 2021
    Time pick up at the hotel: 09:00 hrs.
    Car Type: Premium Size (Mercedes E-Class)
    Cost: 200 Jordanian Dinars (To be added on your room account)

I will visit sites not cover by Tauck.

So, these are the sites in Amman we would will see:

-Roman Amphitheater
    -Citadel
    -King Abdullah Mosque-Blue Mosque
    -Royal Automovil Museum
    -Spices souk.

Hope this helps.

I did booked all 3 Spa treatments too.

• ****Mil**** awesome. Thank You! I’ll contact the concierge. So much to see, so little free time. First world problems.
    I know you’re beyond excited and counting down the days for your upcoming trip. What a special tour to experience with your mom.

• I wish it would be warmer and Wadi Mujib was open when we are going. I would have loved to do that.

• Mil. Hi. No cover up required for pool sun bathing on the riverboat…for shoes I wore athletic sandals everywhere. Open toes Velcro straps. Very comfortable. I never had issues with hiking or sand..I didn’t even bring sneakers or any closed toe shoes..I’m sorry I can’t answer about the felucca. I didn’t go..I get seasick on small boats so I opted not to do it…we did have some downtime to enjoy all the pools at the hotels/boat…the pool at the kempinski hotel in Amman is amazing. We really enjoyed that. In Petra our downtime consisted of Happy Hour 2 for 1 which we enjoyed because the prices for cocktails were absolutely crazy. Very expensive. The Jordanian vodka was really nice…there really wasn’t anything to do safely off properties. In Cairo my husband really wanted to go to Harley Davidson store so we hired someone to take us there and back…the dust wasn’t too bad today at the pyramids but it wasn’t windy. I think if it was really windy it would be awful..the sand was everywhere..just about our entire group wore Ts and shorts everyday except the Petra day. We wore pants because of camel rides

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file