Options

COVID, masks, mixed messages??

edited February 2022 in General

I'm a bit concerned about the effects of the recent trend (mass movement?) towards relaxing mask mandates and requirements in the US. Combine that with the new variant that is supposedly even more infectious than Omicron, and the current testing and quarantine policies in many foreign countries, and you have a recipe for an unhappy international travel experience. It seems like the old expression, "Err on the side of caution" is no longer considered acceptable.

Personally, I'm not concerned about getting seriously sick. I consider myself in good enough health and protected by 2+1 shots that I won't suffer serious ill effects if I am infected. But, it sure could put a crimp on travel, if I'm surrounded by many who are unmasked and infected either in an airport, plane etc. prior to or during a tour.

Let's hope the FAA and CDC do not relax air travel mask requirements and that Tauck can continue to keep us in the "bubble ".

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2022

Well. We’ve been on a plane today, Philly to Vegas, business class. Even people across the aisle took their masks down as soon as the flight attendants passed by. Frequent announcement made, even for electronic cigarettes not to be smoked. Well. We were going to Vegas.

• Options

British - Vegas dropped the mask mandate today. Still required on planes and busses. Individual businesses may still require masks at their discretion.

• Options
    edited February 2022

Thanks Ken, we are finding that out! The Tauck driver who picked us up from the airport said we could take our masks off, we said no thanks, one of us having a Phd in immunology. We had massages before dinner, the staff said we could take our masks off too, we said no thanks. If the Tauck tour guide says the same tomorrow, I’m thinking Mr B might have us back at the airport returning home!
    Just over two weeks ago on a tour. 3 out of 14 of us tested positive. It wasn’t the locals who were to blame, they all wore masks, it was the sloppy masking in our own group. I’m already in bed, jet lag from an early flight this morning and a three hours time difference, obvious we are out of practice 😂

• Options
    edited February 2022

I’m living SeaLord, but I don’t want to spend a fortune on a vacation where I spend most of it in a hotel room. I don’t want to be stuck in another country. Proper wearing of masks and social distancing works, many people don’t wear masks any where near correctly. You’ve just been lucky so far, clearly others haven’t.
    When you go to K and T, how would you feel being confined to a hotel room in Nairobi or worse still, a state facility. Everyone should be prepared for things like that. On our first trip abroad, we took extra clothing, meds and books just in case, that was the best we could do. We’ve cancelled two vacations, not because of Covid, but because flights that don’t involve numerous plane changes or extreme long layovers still do not exist for the destinations we were going to.

Here is what to expect from the government’s website in Kenya

‘ If a traveler tests positive, the individual will be directed by the Government of Kenya to quarantine at a government approved hotels for 14 days at traveler’s expense.’

• Options

Actually British, I expect to get covid …. I think we all will get it eventually. How many people do you know who have never had the flu … shots or not? We were on a ship where everyone was vaccinated and tested, and everyone wore masks indoors, and in a sterile environment in Antarctica with no contact with ‘locals’ other than penguins and seals, about twenty people out of roughly three hundred tested positive. That’s about the same percentage as the public at large in California. If we did not eat or drink, and we wore our masks twenty four seven, and changed them every three hours like one airline requires, perhaps that would make a difference. I wear a mask where required, and we wore masks when Fauci said it was not necessary, but I have no delusions about how effective they might be if not worn twenty four seven. ‘We are not young enough to postpone life’. Personally, the biggest surprise of my life was my thirtieth birthday. Each of them since then hs been a gift. Yes … I have been very lucky.

• Options

Ndvb, there appears to be 2 people who have appointed themselves forum police to flag any post they don't think should be here even if it isn't against Tauck forum rules. Even if it's specifically about travel, a travel review, personal experience on a tour, etc. They have some unknown set of rules the rest of us aren't privy to. My advice is to ignore the flags and ignore them. The rest of us know what is spam and how to get rid of it.

• Options

Ndvb - the flagger is random. Not directed at any one person or post. Just some very sad person with no life who gets off on a flagging binge from time to time. It is not indicative of the thought of most of the posters to this forum. Most of us consider the flagger like a bad relative. Just something that pops up to annoy and should be ignored.

• Options

Maybe someone is working on a sociology thesis- flagging just to see the reactions. :)

• Options

So, the reality is that at the Welcome reception on oir current tour, some people took their masks off straight away, Some didn’t even bring a mask with them, they were confused by the new rules that the governor put in pace that day. Their was no social distancing at the Welcome dinner, three big tables for all of us. We kept our masks on as long as we could. People do sure put trust in strangers. I haven’t done that for two years.
    There is no pre tour testing for tours in the US. So one could say you are more at risk of being with people who are Covid positive before the tour begins, than on a foreign one. It concerns me, I don’t want to cancel plans when I return home because I find I’ve caught Covid from a tour.

• Options

I get your concern British but you are going to be spending a lot of time with these people. Unless you and your spouse dine at your own table you're going to be sitting close to the rest of the guests eating/drinking with no masks on. You've been vax'd and boosted so the odds are drastically in your favor should you catch covid and as far as I'm aware you don't have to have a negative test to go home. Short of quarantining in our homes for the next however many years if we want to do anything we have to be willing to accept some risks. It's not like there were never any risks before. You could trip and break something, lose your wallet/phone/camera, etc etc.

Try to relax and enjoy. I bet you're going to see some great sites.

• Options

Unless a new, more deadly variant arises, I suspect the days of quarantining are coming to an end, and Covid will be treated no differently than a cold or the flu. You heard it here first :)

• Options

BKMD
    3:15PM
    Unless a new, more deadly variant arises, I suspect the days of quarantining are coming to an end, and Covid will be treated no differently than a cold or the flu. You heard it here first :)

Wishful thinking? Here and, where it really matters, internationally??

• Options

Everywhere, eventually. First world countries will make their own decisions and the rest will depend on W.H.O.

• Options

The US can hardly be described as First World with it’s low vaccination rate.

• Options

How many are in your tour group now, British?

• Options

British - By your criteria, Cuba with its 87% fully vaccinated rate, would be considered a First World powerhouse. Perhaps the pandemic has skewed your perception a bit.

Perhaps as Julie Andrews sang in one of her iconic roles might cheer you up - "Just a spoonful of sugar..."

• Options

If she lived in Cuba, she would be in prison. God Bless America!!

• Options

smfxterr
    If she lived in Cuba, she would be in prison.

Is forum over-posting a crime in Cuba?

• Options

BKMD
    I didn't bring up Cuba. Just stating that it's great to live in America where we can voice our viewpoints no matter how ridiculous they are. Calling the US anything other than a "first world" country is a bit over the top.

• Options

I believe when the poster said the USA was not a first world country it was in comparison to other,
    lesser countries that have a higher rate of vaccination. In no was was the poster disparaging our wonderful country. She simply stated the obvious, that we need to have a higher rate of vaccination to help defeat this dreadful virus.

• Options

BSP51
    Nice dog. We used to show Labradors and they are the best!

• Options

smfxterr - Thanks. She is so good. Just a great dog. The morons flagged you. No accounting for stupid.

• Options
    edited February 2022

Stupidity is like COVID.....no cure for it. Better read this quickly....It'll have 5 flags in a few minutes and be sent to Tauck purgatory.

• Options

There are 21 on our tour. A number are not wearing masks on the bus, despite reminders. Its the rules for traveling with Tauck and the rule of the state we are in now. It’s very frustrating for the rest of us. We plan on testing ourselves at the end of the tour as we are staying on to see relatives, one who a a 90 plus year old great aunt. Truly, I can’t believe we are traveling with such uncaring and inconsiderate people. It is making it really difficult for such a lovey Tour director. If you are wondering whether the Tauck pledge we sign is working, it isn’t on this tour.

• Options

I have read that the TPG has offered the theory that this disease has moved from the pandemic to the endemic. Perhaps it is like peanuts on an airplane. If you have peculiar sensitivities, you need to protect yourself. You should not expect Jimmy Carter to go broke cuz nobody willl eat peanuts. On our recent cruise everyone was vaccinated, everyone was tested, everyone wore masks indoors, and we were in the most sterile environment in the world … Antarctica. We were not allowed to go there until we vacuumed our clothes. Ten passengers and ten crew got covid. Testing, and vaccines, and masks will not protect you. But, none of the people who tested positive were seriously sick. It is over. If you have physical vulnerabilities you must protect yourself. Do not expect the world to change to protect you.

• Options

Sealord, you are on point. I have but one concern: What happened to the folks who caught COVID when they tried to get home to the US?