Options

K&T Classic Safari: June 25, 2022

Comments

• Options

Awesome pictures Sealord.

• Options
    edited July 2022

I think I mentioned before that the elephants are back at the Four Seasons watering hole. We missed them cuz we were taking the afternoon off. We were told there were about fourteen of them there our first afternoon there. We were doing a game drive at that time of day on the second day.

We arrived at Amboseli yesterday evening. I had brought the visa applications instead of the visas for Kenya by accident. When I went to get my email visa approvals out of my iphone and ipad they were missing … locked in “the cloud” and we had no wifi access at Kenya immigrations. I finally found my visa approval on the iPad, but had to buy another visa for my wife. When I got wifi at the Amboseli Serena, all my approvals were right where I had stored them. Make sure the paperwork you think is the visa has your picture on it.

• Options

Beautiful!

• Options

Yes, the single picture of the Masai guy is the same one we talked with, sold us our large white wedding neck collar, prices sure had gone up

• Options

Great pics. Sorry you had difficulty accessing your documents. Suggestion: for anyone storing documents on your phone for when Wi-Fi may be iffy at best, be sure the docs are actually stored to the phone itself and not just in the cloud. That way, you will have access without Wi-Fi. We’ve done that with all of our docs for this trip.

• Options

Seafood, never saw a leopard on our treks. Lucky!

• Options

Hey, I know that doorway! :D:D:D

• Options
    edited July 2022

Great pictures again Sealord

• Options

Jan page 511: Exactly. And how do you make sure your documents stay on the phone or iPad and not go to the cloud?

• Options

Ok, Sealord, here’s a step by step (hopefully you have an iPhone as I don’t know how to do it with others.
    Select the file folder icon from your Home Screen
    Select iCloud Drive
    Click on 3 dots in upper right
    Select “select”
    Select the documents you want to copy
    Select the folder icon bottom center of the screen
    Where it says iCloud Drive, bring up the drop down menu
    Select “on my iPhone”
    Either select a sub folder (such as “Pages”) or just select “copy” on the upper right
    The document will be copied to your iPhone, and you should be able to then locate your document in your file icon on the home page. The folder icon gives you the choice of viewing your iCloud Drive or what is “On my iPhone”.

Hope this helps.

• Options

and people ask me why I wanted an iPad with a large amount of storage space- this is a prime example.

Unfortunately since it has all of the photos from each of our Tauck trips, I have already max'd out the iPad storage (128 GB) so we either need to get a new iPad, external memory, or stop traveling. It probably won't be either of the last two options. :D

• Options

AlanS, I have a 64 gig iPhone 11 of which 24 gig is free. I do not store my photos on my phone or pad. I can access them as they are in the cloud, but they are stored on my iMac. I don’t take many photos with my phone, as I use a dslr and upload the card directly to my Mac after each use.

• Options

We just save them in Notes!

• Options

A GB is a GB no matter what file folder it is in. I'm just out of space. And if I am somewhere with no wifi or 3G, I can't get to the cloud.

• Options
    edited July 2022

Wow, what great luck and a great photo!!! A photo of Mt. Kili with an elephant in frame!!!! It doesn't get any better than that without using Photoshop!! :D (You may remember my sad solution Mt Kili being totally cloud covered our entire time there- a photo of the photo of Kili on the Observation Hill sign. :/

Did you actually fly from Amboseli to 'Wilson'???? Unless there is another 'Wilson', Wilson is the muni you normally fly into in Nairobi at the end of K&T. Did they give you any reason for that routing?? Fuel, weight, density altitude? Did you pick up or drop off passengers, change planes, or just get some fuel? It is along the way, so no big deal and probably minimal time lost.

Speaking of weatherr

• Options

During our K&T, in August 2015, we had several Mt. Kilimanjaro photo ops, but none with an elephant in the shot like Sealord's.

• Options
    edited July 2022

No photoshop. I’ve got a dozen more similar shots. When we were with the Masai in the morning we could just see the glaciers at the top and I was wondering when you had to be here to see the whole thing. It just happened. They were very happy to learn we had been to their village three times and remembered the chief.

Earlier in the day with just the top showing.

• Options
    edited July 2022

Today is a day of ‘rest’ at the Mount Kenya Safari Club. Slept late, and going horseback riding, then animal orphanage, then a barbecue in the bush tonight. I can’t control the order of the pictures easily, but one of these shots is of Mount Kenya. Rare! We have never seen Mt. Kenya on our previous trips. The country is named after the mountain.

This is Mount Kenya in all her glory. On our two previous trips it was totally obscured by clouds. This is our favorite place on the planet. They were closed for remodeling for two years, and all of the William Holden pictures and trophies have been removed. Birds, monkeys., and other animals everywhere.

• Options

The Mount Kenya Safari club is a nice hotel but for us, it’s the opposite, it doesn’t feel like Africa at all. It feels like a colonial era country club, which on a longer tour would be a nice break, but this tour is far too short for that, just another opinion.

• Options

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but the club was founded by William Holden, an American big game hunter turned conservationist .I don’t think he was a colonial although that might be the style of the architecture. It is my favorite place on the planet … just my opinion.

• Options

Sealord your pictures are wonderful! Your experience with Kilimanjaro and Mt. Kenya are as mine have been with Mount McKinley in Alaska since I’ve only been there twice maybe if I go back a third time I’ll get a great picture?
    I have a question for you. You said no one is wearing masks on the plane to and from Amsterdam and in the beginning of your tour in Tanzania. Has anyone came down with Covid?

• Options

Sealord- is your weather exceptionally hot, dry, both, or is this part of the major drought effecting much of East Africa? Everything looks dry and burned out, even the normally lush landscaping and grass at Mt Kenya Safari Club. I took this photo in the same area as the one with shelter and golf cart, before your photo of Mt. Kenya.

Mt. Kenya vs Mt Kilimanjaro- We didn't see Kili because it was obscured by clouds, but we had a great view of Mt. Kenya. When the lighting was right (and zooming to the max), we could even see the glacier which I understand will be gone in the no-too-distant future.

If you are doing batch uploads, the photos may be in random order because the upload speeds vary from photo to photo, even from home. The only way to guarantee they are in the order you want is to upload them individually or move them around after they have been uploaded- a real pain because of the new file names assigned by the forum software.

• Options

We saw Mt Kenya the entire time we were there, elephants in the background, look of the draw.
    Yes, knew all about Willam Holden many years ago and I assume that is why Tauck started to go there, customer demand. We still think out first K and T tour that was without My Kenya Safari Club and the Four Seasons was better and more authentic modern Africa.

• Options

British - was better and more authentic modern Africa.

Did you stay in Masai mud huts?

I'm totally perplexed when people think they have to stay in a tent to get an "authentic experience". For me, I went to K&T to see the animals and the environment, not to mimic some rustic living style (just my opinion).

• Options

No, not rustic, really nice camps Great food and service. Animals outside your tent, yes!

• Options

I took this picture when I went to Kenya & Tanzania last September

• Options
    edited July 2022

This is bedtime at the Mt. Kenya Safari Club. Our next stop at Fairmont Mara is a tent camp … very nice tents. But, they are nothing like this.

One must realize that British is not comfortable anyplace where everyone is not dressed in gardening clothes. (;-). The food and service at Mt. Kenya is difficult to match. The plumbing is another subject, but I love the place. I have thought of taking a dedicated trip just to Mt. Kenya Safari Club … two nights is not enough. On our first trip it was three.

• Options

Many thanks for providing all of these pictures. We are now planning on taking this trip in 2024. It just looks fabulous.

• Options

Sealord - One of the best desserts I've ever had on a tour was Baked Alaska at the Mt. Kenya Safari Club. :D

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file