Options

Navigating returning to the US after testing Positive for Covid

I’ve been learning a lot in the past couple of weeks from a friend who tested positive for Covid in Portugal.
The info posted by someone here on the forum to be sure to get a positive test date documented by a visit to a doctor so that a quarantine period can officially begin was very helpful for her. I mentioned it before she went as she was going independently. She is so careful about Covid, I never thought she would need to use that information.
In Portugal, it appears that ‘quarantining’ or staying in your hotel room, is on the honor basis. She was able to go out once she found this out, after improving after seven days of not feeling well at all…. joking she bought lots of cork souvenirs.
The quarantine period has recently been reduced to seven days, you must then visit a dr. To get a ‘certificate of recovery’ which cost her $85, so you can travel. She continues to test positive but no longer has symptoms, twelve days later. She should be on a flight home now, twelve days after she first tested positive. I’ve told her I look forward to receiving some cork souvenirs 😀

Comments

• Options

Good gosh British, that is horrible! After reading all of these travel incidents recently on various travel blogs, I am glad I am not traveling overseas. I know that many people on this board have traveled without incident and I would say they were just lucky, however, I will continue to stay in the US until such time that the US lifts their requirement for a Covid test before returning home. Too much stress for this gal. Just a personal choice.

• Options

Travel maven - I thought about it every day of my trip, was very careful wearing the mask however there's no social distancing while eating so it is a worry but for myself I can't stay home.

British - I'm a solo traveler so I can imagine how your friend felt, I worried about that the entire trip.

• Options

British, the seven day quarantine you mentioned- is that for Portugal or US?

We have two friends who where on our Treasures of the Aegean and are now in quarantine at a Marriott in Athens (not the Grande Bretagne). They are working on the 10 day quarantine. There's is an honor system as well. One or the other has been out to the nearby pharmacy a couple of times already to get test kits. They said the hotel food is pretty bad except for the pizza, which is edible.

• Options

The seven day quarantine is the rule in Portugal
    In fact, I just got an email form my friend and she has arrived back in the US. No one in US customs asked to see any documentation about Covid
    Your friends will have to go on the Greece website for any changes to quarantine requirements.
    I don’t understand where people will find hotel beds when everywhere gets busy as summertime advances.

• Options

It's currently 10 days per the CDC. There is a US company called QuickMD that can give you a "Documentation of Recovery" via an online visit with a doctor. This is from their FAQ sheet:

"Per CDC requirements, if you have a positive COVID test you may end self-quarantine (and therefore receive a ‘Documentation of Recovery’) when one of the following criteria is met:

10 days have passed since your COVID-symptoms started (however given that this cannot be verified online, the collection date of your official COVID PCR or antigen test is generally used as day 0) or
    If you had no symptoms, 10 days must have passed since your COVID test collection date
    Note that it is not enough for your family members or travel companions to have a positive COVID-19 test–even if you had the same symptoms. Each passenger needs to be COVID-tested and if positive, the above criteria must be met for each individual–not collectively."

I suspect by now there are other companies providing the same service. QuickMD charges $75.

• Options

Useful information.We are on Danube river cruise in August!Can’t believe we are still in this COVID-19 mess.Testing positive abroad is a nightmare.

• Options

I just went through this. I was on two back-to-back river cruises in Belgium and Holland and felt in perfect health on the last night of the cruise. However, My test that evening (for the flight the next day) came back positive and the Tauck cruise director helped me (and a handful of other guests) book an Amsterdam hotel. I had to quarantine for seven days (glad I am retired) and this was on the honor system. I went out for meals when others were likely to have finished lunch, early for dinner, etc. and always masked. I was allowed to take a second test on the seventh day; that was negative and I was allowed to fly home the next day, I am leaving next week for the Danube Cruise / Oberammergau and a few weeks after that for Scotland. My doctor has provided me a "Certificate of Recovery" and with that and copies of the two tests (positive and negative) the CDC states I can re-enter the US as I like for 90 days after my original positive test. I am supposed to go to Bali in August (third try on that) but if Biden has not lifted the testing requirement I believe I will have to cancel - I don't want to get stuck in Bali for an extra 7 - 10 days. It really is a nightmare and I don't understand why Biden is so entrenched in this - we have hundreds of people every day coming across our border and we know nothing about them but tax paying citizens are treated like dirt.

• Options

Thx for your info. Sorry you had to go thru that. Maybe Tauck can arrange a Covid tour for people who test positive.

• Options

Smarks, it’s good to hear from you! So sorry to hear about your experience with Covid and quarantine and thanks on behalf of all here for the information you have provided. I should think this bout of Covid should protect you into August.
    I was just thinking about you, knowing you were going on the Singapore tour the month before us. Please let me know about your experiences if you go, or indeed if Tauck calls you to cancel the tour. We are loath to book anything else for the remainder of the year until a cancelation and all tours we are interested in are full or limited dates. Mr. B is certainly wary about being stuck in Bali and also the potential expense ….the Tauck insurance may not cover much of the Covid hotel costs.
    But also lucky you for having been able to do so much foreign travel over the past two years. We have only been out of the country once. Best wishes.

• Options

As travelers, we must try to continue to elevate this issue...requiring a test when returning top the US isn't minimizing the spread...This is a CDC requirement and they appear to be ignoring the issue....With all the other issues plaguing the US, this doesn't appear to be high on the list, except for travelers...Fingers crossed that the CDC removes this restriction soon....

• Options

AlanS: We have two friends who where on our Treasures of the Aegean and are now in quarantine at a Marriott in Athens (not the Grande Bretagne).

Did your friends have the option of returning to the Grande Bretagne upon learning of COVID status? I'm asking because I'm staying there at the beginning of my Greek Island trip. I'm returning to Athens very early in the morning from Santorini for my return flight to USA. Just thinking if I should consider reserving a room should the unthinkable happens? I'm also hoping the US drops its re-entry requirements

• Options
    edited June 2022

PureLuxury
    11:51AM
    Did your friends have the option of returning to the Grande Bretagne upon learning of COVID status?

No. In fact they were in the Athens Marriott near Piraeus, about 3.5 mi. from the Grande Bretagne. There was some discussion of which hotel they would be taken to. I think all the Tauck passengers ended up there while the Wind Star passengers ended up in another hotel (also not the Grande Bretagne). I don't know who selected the hotel, but it was not them, or why that one was selected. They speculated that it might be a designated quarantine location?

They started quarantine last Saturday when we all departed the Wind Star. Both finally tested negative yesterday. They are or should be (4 hour flight delay) on their way home as we speak.

• Options

I was just reading Rick Steves June travel report posted just a short while ago where he says one of the main obstacles right now is navigating what he calls COVID roulette. A link to the article can be found here.

A quote from the report:

If you're fully vaccinated, wear your mask when it makes sense to do so, and avoid crowded, unventilated places that are likely to be filled with high-risk people, I'd say you're safer in Europe than you are being out and about in the US. For me, the only headache during 40 days of travel this spring was getting a test to prove I was negative before flying home. (I think of traveling right now as a kind of COVID roulette. I asked a nurse in Amsterdam how many tests she performed in one day, and she said, "85 tests…one positive." We have 84 tour buses on the road this week (that's about 1,800 travelers), and everyone will need to test before flying back to the US. The percent testing positive? About 2%, or one in 50 of our travelers.

I am still hopeful this return testing requirement will end soon.

• Options

I’ve just been involved in a superspreader here in the US. All vaccinated but singing, so for the performances no masks, at the last count, at least 25% got positive, those are the ones I know a little. Several quite ill. Not sure how I escaped. I would say we have the same risk here or abroad, we only need to be near the wrong people to get Covid and in reality the people we get closest to are the rest of the tour group.
    What’s crazy is that people that report back after testing positive never get asked for documents when they return to the US.

• Options

Can't remember if it was here or another forum but read recently of a woman who canceled her trip because she was positive. Felt ill for a few days before and took multiple antigen tests that were negative. Finally took a PCR that was positive. I don't have a lot of faith in the antigen tests.

• Options

Yes, all pretty random but we are stuck with showing a negative test to get back into the US

• Options

British: Good to hear from you. I am not sure I will be able to do the Singapore / Bali trip in August - partly depends on what the US Government does about this testing requirement. Also, I learned yesterday that my flight home from that trip (Bali to Taipei then Taipei to SFO) has been canceled. Don't know if that is due to the threat of war in that region or some other reason. I haven't looked for another flight until I confirm (next ten days or so before final payment) whether I even want to go. If I hear anything I will let you know, please do the same. My best to Mr. B.

• Options
    edited June 2022

British: When I returned from Portugal last month, and the US customs didn't ask for Covid documents. The Coved documents were scrutinized when we were at check-in, they were very meticulous in looking through everything. We had our Letter of Recovery from our US doctor and were hoping it was all correct. Even though we knew we were still positive, we had to get a Covid test at the airport. We didn't think we needed that since we had the letter of recovery, but it's all crazy to figure it all out. Glad you didn't get Covid with your singing, and that's too bad so many people caught it.

• Options

MalloryG. I couldn’t remember who had posted about Portugal and Covid but now I remembered it was you. Thank you. It was your information here that I was able to pass on to my friend before she went to Portugal last month and it really helped her to know she had to get her Covid documented for quarantine purposes. I’ll be seeing her for the first time tonight so I guess I’ll get more details if she feels like talking about it. I have to test myself today before we all start another ‘hell week’…anyone who does theater will understand that saying.
    I see it’s all gone quiet again here in the US about any chance of stopping needing testing before returning to the US

• Options

A neighbor mentioned today that a friend recently arrived in Bali and soon after tested positive and is now in quarantine. Not sure of details. I don't think Indonesia is requiring testing on arrival, so she must have either felt ill and tested on her own, or perhaps was spotted with symptoms. Anyway, quarantine is not only a risk at end of travel.

• Options

British: Glad my info was useful! I sure wish I had that info when I was positive in Portugal and clueless! Now I feel like I have a Ph.D. in what to do! Did your friend get very sick? Mine was very mild. Good luck with your next performance. Can't wait for this testing requirement to be lifted! I have very itchy feet!

• Options

I saw my friend last night, she had Paxlovid with her, so after diagnosis at the clinic she started taking it but was quite ill for a few days. The doctor said she was lucky to have it with her as it is not available in Portugal. She remained positive for 16 days. Of course, after ten days you can fly back to the US anyway with the correct documents.
    Although her original plans had to be changed, she was still able to do lots of site seeing in Lisbon and even go to the Algave for a couple of days. Sje said, of you are going to get Covid, get it in Portugal because she had a blast. I saw some of her photos and they were lovely. She raved about the seafood, pastries and pottery…. I love pottery. She also said how cheap it was and that there were British people all over the place. We were planning to go on one of the Tauck tours to Portugal in the future. We have been putting off touring Europe in the main for the more exotic tours and of course we are behind with our hoped life plans like everyone else.
    So many people we know have now had Covid, several I spoke to last night reported how the sore throat is very painful, but as one person said, at least everyone is still alive. This whole Pandemic could be very terrible now if it wasn’t for vaccines.

• Options

I'm a little bit confused, British. While you're friend was unable to return to the US because of her positive COVID test, did she still tour in Lisbon and Algave for a couple of days while she was positive. She wasn't quarantined to a government approved hotel and was left on the honor system to self quarantine?

• Options

No government approved hotels in Portugal. It’s not handled that way. It is all on the honor system. She kept her mask on whenever she went out. Anyone who has been fully vaccinated and has proof of recovery can get back into the US after ten days. I believe that certificate is good for 6 months to come back into the US without need for a Covid test.

• Options

Thanks for clarifying, British. That really shows how ridiculous the test requirement to come back to the US is. I am hoping it will have gone by the wayside by the time I'm returning from Ireland in late September but I doubt it.

• Options

I just returned from Spain, where everyone who was returning to the US the day the tour ended had the opportunity for a test in the hotel (60 euros cash). One of the couples on the tour was spending an extra day in Madrid before returning home. Rather than return to the hotel the following day to test them, the tech said that she would date the test the following day, so it would appear that the test was taken the day before their flight home. It's a racket!

Incidentally, Spain is on the honor system, too. One couple came down with Covid part way through the tour. They stayed in the hotel in separate rooms (because, initially, only the husband tested positive) and, if they felt well enough, were able to go out as long as they were masked. Our tour moved on, but they made it to our Madrid hotel by the end of the tour, having take a train from Seville to Madrid on their own. They did not interact with the group after testing positive, though.

• Options

This is helpful information. Thank you all. I was looking for another thread where I thought MalloryG had posted some information but I can't find it. We leave Monday for Douro Andorinha with Gift of Time to get acclimated in Lisbon and end in Madrid. We will think "positive", wear our masks, distance where possible and hope to test "negative". It is good to know that Portugal and Spain will allow us to leave a hotel if we feel up to it. We plan to take "home test kits" to test ourselves along the way before the "real" antigen lab test at the end... assuming we make it through to the final day of the tour. How much assistance does Tauck provide in the case of positive Covid cases with arrangements for a hotel, proof of recovery from a doctor, change in airline departure date, etc. Interesting that along with a letter of recovery Mallory still had to test again. My Tauck tour in August ended in Barcelona where we paid 35 Euros. The lab Tauck contracted only accepted credit card for payment. Guess the price has increased considerably.

• Options
    edited June 2022

Patrice, I can't wait to hear how your cruise goes and whether the Andorinha has any staffing issues.

From what everyone has said, I believe Tauck Will help you find lodging but it might be at the level of their usual hotel. You might want to research more affordable alternatives just in case.

Bob voyage!

• Options

You can always ask or e-mail the concierge at the hotel where a local place to Covid test is. It will most likely be half the price. Covid testing has become a big moneymaker for some of these testing companies. That could be one of the reasons this country still conducts the testing while immigrants coming in from south of the border aren’t being tested or refugees whatsoever. it doesn’t make a bit of sense.

• Options

Patrice: Let me know what questions you have, I'm happy to help. On our tour in early May in Portugal, Tauck offered no assistance when we tested positive. I called Tauck and told them what I learned so that they could help others, but I don't think they passed on any of the info. They told me the best was to ask the hotel, the boots on the ground. Best to know ahead of time what to do. It's not that complicated. Get the official test, so the countdown can start just in case you don't test negative by the time you are supposed to fly home. Get the Certificate of recovery from the QuickMD website. We got ours from our doctor, but it seems like not every doctor does that. In Portugal, you have to isolate yourself for 7 days, but it is the honor system. We got the insurance, and I put in the claim, and am still waiting to see what we get back. Luckily, we didn't get too sick, I had a very mild case, but I hear all sorts of different levels of sickness. I also hear that since I had it, I am immune for a while, and I am still cautious because I don't know about the different variants. We loved Portugal, from what we saw of it. Best of luck!