Options

covid testing to return to the USA

For all of u who have recently done a Tauck Tour, did u take a PCR test or Antigen test. Were u given a choice of the two? Thanks

Comments

• Options

When we were leaving Israel/Jordan a couple of weeks ago, we were given a PCR test and we were not given a choice. Tauck arranged for the test, but we paid for it (cash only).

• Options

Returning from Antarctica in February we were tested at the BA airport before going for an extra night at the BA Hilton We were given a choice of PCR or antigen which was much less expensive. We did the antigen tests and received the results while on the bus going to the hotel.

• Options

Recently? - A stretch - August 2021 - Tauck arranged antigen test at Majestic Hotel Barcelona - no PCR option and no cash - credit card only. Method of payment may be determined by the testing service/lab/provider Tauck contracts. PCR can indicate positive weeks after recovery

• Options
    edited June 2022

Last week, on 5/27/2022) the morning of the day before we departed Wind Star in the port of Piraeus, we were given an antigen test.

In addition to the test required to enter the US, according to paperwork we received from the ship, it was required by Greek Port Health to leave the ship. I don't know how they got around that for people extending. As far as, I know they were only tested once, the day before flying home.

As far as I know, we had no choice as to the type of test. The cost for the antigen test was $69 p/p. Those who tested positive and their cabin mates who did not (yet) were also given a follow-up PCR test @ $135 p/p, to confirm the antigen test.

• Options

I returned from Cruising the Seine, plus London and Paris in May. There was an antigen test performed the morning before the day of disembarkation for anyone returning to the US. I found it interesting that the crew was trained to administer and share the results. It cost around $35.

• Options

I also received the antigen test administered by manager of Ms. Saphire, (same cruise as you chitraveler) it was 35 Euros the day prior to disembarking, 4 people tested positive and stayed in the boat until we arrived in Paris. After that I do not know what arrangements were made.

• Options

Our TD arranged for antigen tests in Venice the day before our flight home. It was thru the Italian Red Cross just off of St. Marks Square, and was actually quite reasonable at €22. We were then told to wait outside for the results which we received 15 minutes later.

• Options

Black Sea to Budapest. Yesterday am had an antigen test at Ritz Carlton. 60 euros. One person of the approximately 22 who took it that day was positive. The rest negative. Those who stayed on were being tested today or tomorrow so don’t know the results. Btw, I consistently wore my mask and of the 77 of us, I was pretty much the only masker until close to the end. 🤷‍♀️

• Options

Thank u all for your responses. I know a CMO of a major USAF Command who told me to take the the antigen.

• Options

Just returned from Spain and Portugal today. No test needed to go from Portugal to Spain, but I needed the test to return to the US. It was an antigen test at the hotel. Cost was 60 euros in cash. Everyone who took the test was negative.

• Options

When we returned from Galapagos on 12/1021,while Omicron was raging,we had the antigen test and there was no choice .

• Options

Given the US has not dropped the COVID testing requirement to return to the US as of yet [fingers crossed], my wife and I (and kids) made our appts for a proctored at home rapid test to be taken the day we get off the Savor in Budapest in July.

I decided to book with https://azova.com/ as they were a recommended company in recent The Points Guy article "Your guide to at-home COVID-19 tests for international travel". We have so many at home tests (already paid for by insurance) that it made sense to bring and use them since Azova can proctor the particular tests we have and the cost is only $20 USD per person. Add to that, the cost is refundable if we cancel our appointments within 24 hours. So if the US changes regulations soon, we can still cancel. As an aside, I can tell you that the service seems to work really well. How do I know you ask? Well, I booked us 4 appointments for July 13th, and for some reason on the 4th and final one, I must not have accurately selected a test date. Because after I paid for the appointment, it said my appointment was in 10 minutes?! Huh?! Since I didn't see how I could change it, I politely waited for the proctor to join the video call. Within 5 minutes she connected in and I explained what happened. She was very understanding and got me right to customer service who walked me through the rescheduling process. I was simple and very easy to do. I would recommend folks look at Azova as alternate and flexible option should they have extra at home COVID tests. Safe travels!

• Options

dogdoctor - I used Azova when I was in France in April (non-Tauck tour) and it was great. My only mistake was I thought I would take a picture of each test one at a time (there were 2 of us), but I should have taken them both together. I went right back into the video and explained and rec'd help right away. I did have to do a chat to get the 2nd results emailed as it was taking a bit of time and I wanted to make sure I had them and got them printed at the hotel.

Enjoy your trip and hopefully the testing will be dropped by then. :-)

• Options

Kathy0529 - thanks for that feedback. It makes me feel better about using them. I was able to book both kids (minors) under my account and I had to create a second account for my wife. But they did walk me through the process and that we can all do the test together that morning on the boat on one call. Very handy. Good to know about the photo snafu. I'll bring a pen/sharpie to ID our individual tests.

For those traveling - do you need printed results? Can you not show the PDF/E-mail results?

• Options

Dogdoctor, Tauck arranges the tests. Are you doing it yourselves because it is cheaper?

• Options

Dogdoctor, I just came back from being in Budapest in June and also on the Savor. First of all your kids will enjoy the ferris wheel in Budapest. Regarding the Covid text: Are you staying at a hotel in Budapest the last couple of days? Much before our trip started in May, I emailed the concierge of the hotel we stayed at, the Ritz Carlton, and asked if there was a Covid testing facility near by. It was two blocks away and the concierge helped make my family of four appointments. It couldn’t have been any easier. We received our results within 15 minutes while we waited (all negative) and asked for a paper copy as well as e-mail. I still believe in paper copies of everything. The test was 25.00 each instead of 60.00 each. Yes, I can afford the 60.00 each, but I like to do my research and think smart. I also worry what if something happens to my phone or If I lost it (heaven forbid) or if the battery crashes. This has happened to other people. I also emailed the concierge on another subject requesting an upgraded room since I have a high status with the Marriott:Bonvoy brand. Sometimes it works; sometimes it doesn’t and I was pleasantly surprised on this trip. This was my experience. We had a lovely time on the Savor.

• Options

@ British - main reason, cheaper. I'm frugal were I can be. I think paying $60 for a $12 test (even if conveniently scheduled by Tauck) is kind of ridiculous. We paid a resort in Mexico an even higher highway robbery price last fall. No need to do that twice if we can easily avoid it. Second reason - I planned on brining monitoring tests anyway. With two kids in school and having had COVID I can tell you that you blow through a LOT of tests monitoring 4 people for exposure. I think I have 28 tests in my home right now so why not use them. Third reason - we're staying an extra day in Budapest. I just figured it would be easier/cheaper to coordinate 4 tests for ourselves and we could book it for very early in the morning on our second to last day.

@ OurTravels34 - we will be in the Tauck Hotel (Kempinski Hotel Corvinus). I did read that you were able to find it very cheap and close to your hotel in the other thread. I was about to do the same, until I saw the prices for AZOVA. And like you, I too could afford the $60. But if I can save $160 and apply that elsewhere on the trip I most certainly will.

• Options

Dogdoctor, the Ritz is right next door to the Kempsinki. We also strolled to Gerbeaud, famous for their chocolate and had the best hot chocolate ever. We had lunch there as well abs had a great burger. I also brought Covid self tests with me. I have no problem using them up since there is an expiration date on each box. Tauck will hand out recommended restaurants.

• Options

I think it makes a lot of sense to explore options for testing and make the right choice balancing price and convenience. I'll be doing the same this fall if the testing requirement is still in place. It's what I do for most all our travels. Both my husband and I grew up in financially tight circumstances and even though now we have the resources to indulge ourselves we try to make smart decisions. Sometimes convenience or luxury wins out, sometimes price. It's all a balancing act.