Options

We have arrived

Comments

• Options

Until we did Yellowstone in winter, I always thought sled dogs were Huskies. They aren't. Some may be but most are mixed breeds that have demonstrated certain traits.

British, gonna have to teach you how to rotate photos. :D

• Options

British - A real person on the dog sled, Wow. Perhaps dressing like that indoors is an 'Alaskan Sauna'. :D

• Options

So glad you went to see the sled dogs. Was that at Jeff King's Husky Homestead? If so, do you remember what the theme of the litter Mr. B was holding is?

• Options
    edited July 2022

ALASKA DAY 3
    We are now at the Denali Princess Wilderness Lodge. We are in building K on the 2nd floor. NOTE, LAUNDRY…there are two sets of washers and dryers at the top of the steps to the second floor, $2-50 each.
    Yesterday, was now maybe the best day so far 😀
    We left our previous lodge and headed out onto the road towards Denali on almost completely deserted roads. We made two stops, one to see a war memorial and one to stretch our legs. We stopped at the Denali Visitor center and then came to the lodge for lunch.
    Then, the highlight of the day, a visit to Husky Homestead where Huskies are bred and trailed for the Iditarod sled Race. The homestead is run by famous Jeff King who has competed in the race 30 times and won 4 times. He was there to greet us with little husky puppies! We don’t have dogs because they don’t suit our lifestyle, but I know a lot of you have dogs and you would be in seventh heaven! We could hold the puppies but were not allowed to approach the adult dogs unless invited to. We were told how they were raised, named and trained. We watched them on a special treadmill. Then Jeff took us into a building and gave us a wonderful presentation about his life and the race. It was fantastic and he is a really entertaining man. Of course we bought a signed book of his and one he had written for his grandchildren and had him sign it so we could show them when we read it to them. Crikey, we even bought a T shirt with a cute puppy on it and we rarely buy T shirts on these trips.
    Food, the group ate at the King Salmon restaurant last night. This, so far has not been a foodie trip, the fish is way too overcooked everywhere we have eaten it so far.
    Those interested in Covid, there are now rumors that two people are ill and of course the man who never wears a mask is coughing his guts up every time we walk by him. Our TD reminded us again yesterday that this park requires masks inside all buildings and on the bus we will be riding in today which holds 54 people and will be full and have people not in our group on it. Our TD said there will be people all around who have already been on the ship and will be less careful about Covid mitigation. I had to laugh, or maybe I should say wince this morning when I saw most of the servers in the restaurant had uncovered noses when the other lodges we have been to, had total mask compliance. Covid transmission is extremely high in Alaska right now…more later

• Options

British, stay well. I agree with you about the food in Alaska. The best halibut I have ever eaten was right here at home in NJ.

• Options

Great photos, British. Looks like Jeff King’s Husky Homestead. We were there 19 years ago (non-Tauck tour). Hope you are having a great time.

• Options

ALASKA DAY 4
    Our trip out to Denali National Park began at 7-30am today. 54 people packed into a specially converted school bus, so not all Tauck, and off we went with our absolutely excellent driver/guide. It was pouring with rain and parts of the scenery were obscured by with mist or smoke from the fires north of the Fairbanks area. The ride experience has been shortened because of landslide at mile 42 caused by global warming. The permafrost is melting and causing rockslides. The park maintenance has had to give up making repairs because within hours, the work is undone became of more movement. No one wants to design or build a bridge over the area. Even so, the tour was six hours of driving and plenty in my humble opinion. You cannot get out of the bus apart from two rest stops and a very short stop to get off the bus at one point to take photos of a particularly picturesque area.
    The driver said if we saw animals, we must shout STOP loudly and she would position the bus so we could all see, it worked, but in reality, it was hard to see or take photos because most people did not have what I would call Safari etiquette, so people blocked their windows and it made it impossible for others to get decent viewing.
    We saw a moose, two caribou, a grizzly bear, a ptarmigan family and a few other small creatures which apparently was a good haul. The weather cleared up in the afternoon and we arrived back at 2pm.
    We had to eat our picnic lunch on the bus, no food allowed outside at all, not even on the bathroom breaks. Mask wearing was supposedly to be enforced but was not adhered to by a number of people. Coughing was rampant….I get more and more worried that’s we will test positive prior to getting on the ship despite our best endeavors! There were two, maybe three of our group missing today, oh dear, oh dear.

• Options

You were probably told that Denali is only visible a few days/month due to its own local climate. I lucked out and got 3 days of Denali views. In case you don't see the top, this is it:

• Options

Yes, you were lucky!
    We managed a walk late afternoon. We really haven’t had any exercise on this tour so far but it has made it easier not to eat so much. Food has been disappointing so far, with the exception of a cream of salmon chowder and an appetizer of scallops and breaded goat cheese, we must try that at home as we enjoy making dishes with scallops.
    We found out why the previous open bar, all inclusive alcohol package has been removed from the Tauck Princess cruises…those who didn’t drink complained, so now everyone gets a $250 on board credit that they can use to purchase anything on board.

• Options

Loving your reports. Appreciate your time and effort.

• Options

ALASKA DAY 5
    We left Denali early this morning, heading for Fairbanks, learning as some of us had suspected, without two people, mom and daughter, one had symptoms and tested positive for Covid. Our Tour Director stressed again that we were being tested tomorrow and that not to be wearing a mask was like playing Russian roulette. Despite this, there are a few who continue not to wear a mask most of the time and one of those coughed and coughed on the bus. Someone else at the back of the bus too. While I am trying to do what Cathy of Cathy and Steve says here on the forum, to try to keep my self safe because I can control that, I’m paraphrasing here, it still makes me angry at people’s lack of concern for others.
    I have researched where pharmacies are here in Fairbanks, quite a few. One appears to have a Nurse Practitioner or telemedicine available, so in our own worse case scenario, I hope we could get access to some Paxlovid. In addition, there appear to be direct flights to Philadelphia from here. This is far more comforting than our experience at the start of Lockdown in a far off country. By tomorrow, we will have at least completed the land portion of the Alaska tour.
    Our lovely TD, I think is frustrated by tardiness of some passengers which we have never experienced before.
    This morning we visited the Alaska Museum of the North which included a movie about the formation of the Aurora Borealis. There were some good Natural History exhibits and modern Alaskan art.
    After lunch, a visit to the Fountainhead Antique Auto Museum that must be the best of its kind we have ever visited. It also included the best vintage costumes collection I have ever seen, so there is something for men and women. This surprising delight of a museum should not be missed if you ever visit. The Fairbanks part of the tour was of course a change to the original itinerary and due to the closure of the original lodge in Copperhead for the remainder of the season due to lack of staff.
    The hotel, the Fairbanks Princess lodge is right on the river and we have a lovely room. We are relaxing before a Salmon Bake dinner and a show. More later…

• Options
    edited July 2022

We visited the little town of Nenana for coffee and bought a $3. Ice Classic ticket. You try to guess what date and exact time the river starts flowing after the winter.

• Options

• Options

British… your pictures are great! We loved the vintage car and clothing museum as well, a real hidden gem in Fairbanks. Our tour group was very diligent in wearing masks but still about 30 % were infected…. FYI we flew home out of Fairbanks, Red eye flight 9pm to Philly, had a 1 1/2 hour layover in Chicago, both flights were great. I hope you all test negative and can enjoy the rest of the tour.

• Options

TEF, What airline did you fly, just in case we need to do that!

• Options

British… it was United

• Options
    edited July 2022

Thanks TEF, hoping you would say American, but any port in a storm and hope we not need to know.
    Last night we went to a Salmon Bake to, I think it was called Pioneer Park, a Goldrush sort of historical theme park.
    This was the first decently cooked salmon we have eaten so far, cooked on a very large BBQ. It was sockeye which we don’t buy at home very often, but it was delicious. You could eat inside or out and did not need to stay as a group.
    At 8pm we all went to the Pioneer theatre to see a fun and comedic musical review of the history Fairbanks. It was a good end to the day. So strange to get outside and have bright sunshine. The weather was beautiful yesterday. Rains in the area the day before had cleared the area of smoke from the wildfires.So much daylight at this time of year.
    The Alaskans keep joking about the mosquitoes. So far, the only time they have been a problem was when the bus driver left the bus door open when we visited the War memorial and when we got back the bus was full of them. I was bitten on the wrist and it was really itchy. It’s our river boat ride today, so we’ll see what it is like there.

A note on bus drivers. We have had two so far. If you take this tour, be prepared to sort your driver tips accordingly.

• Options

British, I am enjoying your reports. It brings back lots of memories of our time there 19 years ago. We had been warned about their national bird (mosquitoes), but in late July/early August we didn’t see any!

• Options

I hope this is not accurate. Shows no Paxlovid in Fairbanks. https://covid-19-test-to-treat-locator-dhhs.hub.arcgis.com/

• Options

sorry, I mean test-to-treat program. Pharmacies might have it.

• Options

British thank you for the comprehensive reports and beautiful pictures, please stay well.

• Options

• Options

• Options

Whew...you made it! You must be so relieved. Have a wonderful cruise.

• Options

Glad to hear the good news re: COVID and hope the same for others in your group. Stay well!

• Options

Thanks for your early food isles yo two! We set the alarm for 4-15am. Breakfast soon bags out of room 5am Leave for airport 6-15am. Fairbanks to Anchorage and on to meet the ship.

• Options

Happy you passed your Covid test! Enjoy your cruise - I'm sure there will be lots more great photo opportunities!

• Options

Discovered after first day my phone Memory was full, been deleting old photos like crazy, but keeps filling up. Have my big camera with me but only pulled it out a few times. So all these photos are quick shots from my phone and some haven’t dowloaded to this iPad. Hence all the mixed up photos.
    How about those fancy clothes and cars

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file