Options

The past few days I’ve been getting notices in the top right corner that I have messages from certain folks. However, when I click on the message icon it takes me to one of the forum topics. Anyone else having issues with their messages? And sorry for not being able to reply to those who sent the messages.

Comments

• Options

If you don’t hit the icon in exactly the correct place, it will take you to the forum instead. That happens almost every time I get a message, I have to hit it again to pull up the correct list and it will clearly show the new message. I’ll send you one now

• Options
    edited August 2022

Are you using a PC, MAC, or smart phone? I'm not having any problems on my PC or iPad. Try logging off and re-booting your device.

• Options

The two different icons get slightly different results. The one that looks a bit like a globe includes private messages, ones posted to your wall(?), and any responses to a thread you started. The one that looks like an arrow going into an in box are private messages. I don't understand why there are two different message types but discovered accidentally that those going to my wall didn't appear in the in box icon.

• Options
    edited August 2022

BSP51

Claudia just turned on the light bulb.

Though this is not true in your case- I just checked your "wall." You only have two badge notifications- but for everyone else, people sometimes think they have sent a message but instead posted to someone's "wall" a totally different animal which can be viewed by you and everyone else just by clicking on your screen name. Anyone who clicks on a screen name, any screen name will be taken to that person's "Profile"page ("wall" in social media terminology) where they can see your stats and reactions counts:

Username: BSP51, Joined: November 2015, Visits: 8,340, Last Active: 11:13AM, Roles, Registered, Points: 360, Badges: 20

A wall posting is totally different than a private message- it is not private- everyone can see it, and doesn't result in a notification (number in red) on the globe or envelope icons.

• Options

Claudia Sails
    The one that looks like an arrow going into an in box are private messages.

On my PC monitor, that box looks like an envelope.

• Options
    edited August 2022

On my Mac desktop this is what the icons in the upper right look like. The leftmost icon, to the right of the username, is for Notifications, the second icon is the Private Messages Inbox, the third one is for Bookmarks, and the fourth one is for Account Options.

• Options

Alan thanx, big aha moment. Do I have this right to send a message:

• click on someone's name and get their forum page
    • to send a private message click on the "Message" button
    • to post a comment on their wall (not private) then write it in the comment block

??

• Options

Good question, I am also baffled. I need a class on forum rules.

• Options

Thanks to all for your help. British got me going in the right direction.

• Options

Claudia - On my interface (see above) to send a private message I click on the Inbox, which displays a condensed list of previous messages (at the bottom of this list is an option to show All Messages) and an option for a New Message. Selecting the option I want then allows me to enter my private message.

• Options
    edited August 2022

Claudia Sails
    12:40PM
    Alan thanx, big aha moment. Do I have this right to send a message:

click on someone's name and get their forum page
    to send a private message click on the "Message" button
    to post a comment on their wall (not private) then write it in the comment block

Two ways to PM:

1. Click on a user name of your intended recipient wherever you see it. You will be taken to their profile page. Then click on the little box that says "message" up and to the right, just to the left of his/her avatar. That launches a "New Message" page where you type your message. It will already be addressed to that person.

or

2.a. Click on the envelope icon (actually I think it really is an "in-box" icon :) ) at the upper right. You will see a box with your most recent PMs. At the very top of the of the box click on the little words in blue "New Message." You be taken to a "New Message" screen but will need to enter the recipients screen name, actually just the first few letters, the software will display possible matches- just select the one your want.

2.b. Instead of clicking on "New Message" you can also click a previous message with the individual you want to PM if you want to continue that previous discussion.

Note- when using either method, you can add additional "recipients" to your message, crating a "conversation." All recipients added to you PM will be able see and respond, and from then on all recipients will get an alert and be able to see each other's responses to this "conversation" (or not so private message :D:D )

To type on the wall, why anyone would want to do that, I don't know, but just type in the text box on the person's profile page. Again, anyone who goes to that profile page will see what you typed, so the purpose of doing so is not clear to me. You delete an entry from your wall the same way you delete a "draft" - click on the tiny "x" at the far right of the box. Note: The little "x" only appears when you hover your cursor in that area- a real stealth "x" :D

You all know about "drafts" correct? Some of you may have them but don't realize it. Anytime you are working on a post and hit "Save Draft" or abandon a partially completed post without posting, you generate a draft. Look at the list of Quick Links to the right, just below "My Discussions" you'll see "My Drafts" but only if you have any drafts- real ones or posts that you never posted. You'll also see a number for how many drafts you have. When you click on "Drafts" you'll be taken to a list of your drafts. You can finish and post them or delete them. To finish click on the draft which will take you back to the Messages window and your post.

That concludes the lesson for today. :D

• Options
    edited August 2022

Alan - if I was allowed to click on the "thumbs up/like" icon more than once, I would do so a number of times. I've searched the Tauck forum site for tutorials on how to use the forum. I know the rules for being considerate on a forum and I am guilty of going off the thread topic at times. So thank you again and again. Tauck should pay you to post these helpful forum instructions.

• Options

I just deleted 14 drafts! Can any recipient in a private "conversation" add other recipients?

• Options

Patrice, I looked at some of my private messages and don't see anyway to add other recipients.

• Options

Claudia - I just created a private message to a frequent Tauck forum poster. In the right column there is a tab to click to add other recipients. I also noticed when I created the private conversation that it states a limit of 5 recipients. I think that includes me as the person generating the private message/conversation.

• Options

You can create a PM to multiple recipients, similar to creating a text message to multiple recipients.

• Options
    edited August 2022

Yes, concur that you can create one with multiple, but once created I don't see a way to add recipients later.

Patrice showed me how. If you receive a private message on the right side of the screen there is a box to add others to the conversation. You can also drop out of one.

I'm usually on my Fire tablet which is too small to see the entire screen so I have to scroll right to see everything.

• Options
    edited August 2022

I hope everyone learned something. I am working on a user's guide which I'll submit to Tauck. If they approve it, maybe they will make it a "sticky" - a post that always stays at the top of the "Discussions" list, like the post one about high call volumes by Tauck Emily and Forum Guidelines by Tauck Tim. lIke I have posted a few times in the past- it is easier to do than describe most of these procedures.

Has everyone cleaned up their profile page? :D:D

If anyone has other questions, post them if others can benefit from the answers, otherwise just shoot me a PM.

• Options

Alan S, yes, I copied the Forum 101 lesson and I’m saving a copy. Thank you.