Options

Classic Italy - Classic vs Small Group tour

edited April 2023 in Italy

It's been 30 years or so since I've been to Italy, so considering returning in 2024 to see what's new (rebuilt Coliseum maybe? :) )

Anyway, it appears that this is one of the few trips with different hotels and maybe minor differences in itineraries (I haven't done a day by day comparison yet). I doubt anyone's done both, but would appreciate comments on why you chose one vs. the other. I tend not to do small group tours, as I've had no issues with the larger group size.

Comments

• Options

Bkmd, we booked Classic sized for later this year taking advantage of the airfare deal Tauck was offering. I checked out the itineraries for both in the color catalog and the only difference there were hotels. I wondered if the Day 1 Capri addon tour was only offered to Small Groups but it's offered for both at extra charge so we chose it. I also compared all the hotels on their websites and the Classic sized seemed fine. I'm sure really knowledgeable travelers might know some significant differences but we aren't super picky as long as they're clean, comfortable and hopefully within walking distance of sights. We've had good luck with Classic sized tours. The largest group ever wears 28. So many people cancel before the tour start and most schedule way in advance.

• Options

Claudia - Comparing the itineraries I only saw differences on Days 7-9, but I didn't think any of those differences would be drivers on deciding which tour to take. But as you say, some really knowledgeable travelers might disagree.

• Options

I asked a friend who had been on several Tauck tours because we didn't know which would be best for us, large or small. Their recommendation was the larger group as in the small group you could be the odd man out in a group of friends or all family members.

• Options

Yes Italy24 that can happen! Only taken one true small group tour as opposed to the classic size because the date suited us better, but several where the tour is just Small group. If you are with a couple of groups of friends who do not want to be split up, it’s a real pain. Also these past couple of years people are reporting that the classic tours are not full anyway so you are paying about a thousands dollars more for a tour for no reason. Many peoples however like the smaller groups and Tauck has introduced even smaller ones this year. I’m thinking on jet future they kay phase out big groups apart from river cruises and small ships.

• Options

I used to be on Team Classic sized tour but after this tour have switched to Team Small. We had 39. In two weeks of coach time we never sat closer to the front than the back door. The often disorganized hotel checkins took longer than on any tour we've experienced. The hotels were fine but some of the rooms not great. A few times we'd have done better with more local guides than allotted. Our next land tour will be small group.

• Options

I favor the small group tours, also.

• Options

Whenever offered, we always choose small groups for all the reasons Claudia mentioned. As an example, on Classic Italy we stayed at the boutique hotel Brunelleschi which was literally in the shadows of the Duomo’s dome (Brunelleschi’s dome)

• Options

Brunelleschi- friendly hotel in a great location.

• Options

We always go for small group travel and we haven't been disappointed yet!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file