Options

Question re: plastic bag rules for Botswana

Hi, I'm having trouble finding the exact rules for Botswana's plastic bag ban (and would really like to avoid getting fined!) We have DEET wipes that come in reclosable plastic bags/containers. Does anyone know if the ban would extend to a product like that or is this just targeting grocery store style plastic bags?

Comments

• Options

I believe they are just looking for the flimsy grocery store bags. They were banned in Jordan and Egypt and no one ever checked. On the bus you could drive by large fields that looked like full of sheep, but when you got close, they were all white plastic bags.

• Options

Thanks, Debi!

• Options

I disagree, it’s easy to find details, here is one I just found. I’ll be going to Botswana in three months and will not be taking any plastic bags as advised. We have not had final details yet, but we have had details for our safari in Tanzania next year and Tauck strongly says, NO plastic bags including ziploc….
    We have been using silicone bags for a couple of years, for meds and wet swimwear etc. they are easy to find everywhere nowadays.

Here is the first thing that came up when I googled

Botswana has joined the movement in Africa to become more environmentally friendly with a ban on plastic bags being implemented as of 01 November 2018.

10 African Countries have now banned single use plastic bags, including Tanzania, Kenya, Uganda and Botswana. South Africa imposed a levy on plastic bags in 2004 but they have not yet been banned.

Whilst the plastic ban in each of these countries is targeting retail shops and commercial manufacturers, it is important as guests visiting these countries also adhere by their laws. Hence, we strongly recommend guests do not travel with any plastic bags.

Essentially the ban means:

No plastic bags packed in both your hand luggage and checked-in luggage,
    No duty free bags to be brought on your arrival
    All kinds of plastic bags, basically!!
    It is possible, your luggage may be searched on arrival and any kind of single use shopping bag or Ziploc bags will be taken away, so as advised, it is best not to travel with any plastic bags at all.

• Options

Hmm thanks British, I'll look into it more.

• Options

I found the government documents on this yesterday after I posted but can’t find them now. They basically said that food that is manufactured and sold in plastic wrapper is fine. That would also include Deet wipes.

• Options

The rules are active and simple- "NO" Plastic bags of any kind. no groceries bags, no Zip-Lock bags, no small garbage bags. - used packing cubes or cloth bags.

• Options

If you can't put your toiletries in a quart-sized plastic bag, what do you do with them? And what about going through security when you change planes in Europe?

• Options

We just returned from Botswana. Our tour documents stressed no plastic bags. We crossed into Botswana by land and suitcases and hand bags were not checked, we never got asked. More perplexing, we bought goods which were given to us in plastic bags which really surprised us. so this makes nonsense in practice of what I have said before.
    As far as putting anything I need in the regulation plastic bag, when we traveled with just hand baggage last year, I realized that I could easily fit my required toiletries in one small bag, I had just never tried before, liquid makeup, moisturizer, toothpaste and so on….I have discovered solid bar shampoo and conditioner which work really well. The main challenge for us is sunscreen, I had to take containers which are no bigger than 3 ounces/100mls, which I could do but it’s an expensive way of buying the suncreens we use.
    We are contemplating just using the Tauck safari bags next year but will have to experiment when we receive them since I know the size has changed and I want to check if I can lift a bag with the things I want to take.
    If you can’t take all the toiletries you need in the regulation bag, I would not risk taking them in carry on, especially if you go through Heathrow.

• Options

Note, I had read somewhere last year that there is some talk about doing away with the 3oz/100ml rule! Keep an eye out for that. The Points Guy is good for such travel news.

• Options

I have no problem fitting my toiletries in the 1 quart ziplock bag; I was questioning whether such a bag would be allowed into the African countries that prohibit plastic bags, and, if not, what is the alternative that would pass muster when transiting in Europe.

• Options

I bought reusable, food grade silicone bags (Stashers) that seal tightly. They are pricy but they solve the problem. There are plenty of this type of bag on the market.

• Options
    edited December 2023

Just a thought- has anyone tried putting their small 3 oz. bottles/tubes of toiletries, etc. in an empty plastic 'container' (not a 'bag') , e.g. empty plastic peanut butter jar? I use them all the time in my workshop shop to hold nails, screws, and miscellaneous small hardware.

• Options

Novel idea Alan!
    Yes, we use the silicone bags too. The original guidelines said no plastic bags, even ziplock type.

• Options
    milmil
    edited December 2023

SarahMcLaughlin HI

98% of all African countries have Banned plastic bags!