Options

Israel-Jordan Trip - War Declared - Impact on Trip

Comments

• Options

smfxterr - What does Biden or Churchill have to do with Vietnam? Thank you for your service. I will have no further comments on this subject.

• Options
    edited October 2023

We follow on faceook one of our past Tauck tour directors who does many of the tours in Israel. He is apparently in Isreal right now leading a tour. Here is a snippet from his facebook post.

I’m still in Israel! Halfway through check-in, our flight was canceled. We will try again tomorrow but will cross via a land border into Jordan. Wish us luck!

A very tense situation for all. :(

• Options

My stomach is in knots. Praying for all.

• Options

We were discovered yesterday that if Tauck could get people to Jordan, that would be the best route. Many US airlines are canceling flights there. This is not political, but maybe our government may help if it becomes impossible to get people out.

• Options

Wishing everyone caught in this horrific situation good luck to get out of Israel safely.

• Options

Anyone who is there, be sure to register on line that you are there with the US embassy.

• Options

CNN has reported Americans among the hostages.

• Options

British makes a good suggestion. I am sure many of you know that you can register International trips through the US State Department's STEP Program (Smart Traveler Enrollment Program). That way if there is an emergency, officials have contact information for you and can convey important information. The website is https://step.state.gov. I too am praying everyone returns home safely very soon.

• Options
    edited October 2023

Wishing all safe travels home.

• Options
    edited October 2023

It reminds me of what happened to us (US and Republic of Vietnam then) during the 1968 TET Offensive in the Vietnam War, when we were all caught unaware when it happened and were overrun by events happening there then. Sigh.

• Options

Getting to Jordan from Tel Aviv overland could be dicey! You must head to Jerusalem and through the Palestinian area or head south and around Gaza before heading east!

• Options

Getting to Jordan from Tel Aviv overland could be dicey! You must head to Jerusalem and through the Palestinian area or head south and around Gaza before heading east!

AlanS I didn't know the route as you described it, but I was also thinking a land transfer might not be the safest alternative. I was on the Israeli/Jordan tour the year before I took the Jordan-Egypt tour. After touring Masada the coach headed to Jordan. Unfortunately, Americans are great bargaining chips even if it wasn't in their original plans.

• Options

STEP notification before travel is a must;specially for situations like this.

• Options

Give Smfxterr a break, this is just free speech, his words are not harming anyone here and I just can’t imagine how dreadful it was to be in any war, Vietnam included. Talk to any person who has fought in a war and their views are likely to be different than those of us staying at home.
    Churchill was a great man, but he was extremely eccentric, I love to read about his antics. .
    Meanwhile, back to Israel…..yes, we were there in March and the bus does travel with the Gaza Strip very near. Presumably it was the shortest route for tourist travel, so let’s hope there is a longer but safer route.

• Options

As I said to someone recently … you are not likely to get a United Airlines crew to fly into a ‘new’ combat zone. In my view we should be sending C17’s to evacuate U.S. citizens. I’m guessing that road travel in these circumstances could be extremely hazardous.

• Options
    milmil
    edited October 2023

I would not count on having any tour go on... with these situation- some airports are already closed and to be honest, how could anyone enjoy a trip under those conditions, so many innocent people killed and taken hostage by these animals.
    I'm concern about the people there, the kids and also the Tauck tours that are already there... scary situation, God protect them all.

• Options

Actually if you really want to know what’s happening in Israel go to American Jewish Committee. Or read Times of Israel, Jerusalem Post or Haaretz. I belong to Temple Emanu-El in Dallas TX and our community is providing many links to reliable news sources in Israel.. we all know Family or friends who live in Israel and it is terrifying there. Also, if anyone wants to give a financial donation to any of the many groups on the ground in Israel send me an email and I’m happy to send you links to organizations that do the most good at times like this.

• Options

We are booked on the Israel /Jordan small group in 10 days on 10/19. Have not heard anything yet from Tauck. I am sure they are overwhelmed with tours on the ground in Israel. I called American Airlines yesterday and they will only change of cancel air tickets up to 10/14 to Tel Aviv. We have a back to back trip from Jordan to Cairo (Nile Cruise) with Viking and I called them and they are still going but watching the situation closely in Israel.

• Options

We are also booked on Israel/Jordan small group in 10/19. Still waiting to hear from Tauck too. Didn't contact United airlines yet but will call soon. So disappointed and horrified for everyone in Israel. It's just awful and beyond sad

• Options

Pwresq, I'm so relieved that you and the tour arrived safe in Jordan. With thoughts and prayers, I wish you a safe journey ahead.
    Stay strong, Tauck travelers.

• Options

I wish Tauck would post some travel updates for Israel and Jordan.Even if they are busy with bringing travelers back home safely there could be some interim updates for those planned to leave in the near future.

• Options

Like all of you, I've been thinking so much of the folks living in and visiting Israel, and am praying that our fellow Tauck travelers will be out of harm's way very soon. It's good to hear that they are close, and the efforts that Tauck has made to get them safely home solidifies my confidence in traveling with Tauck. I was scheduled to visit with the October 24 group, but am expecting a cancelation email from them very soon. I've been looking for other Tauck trips with availability around the same time in other parts of the world...from a low-key river cruise to a South African safari. This was my second attempt to visit Israel; the first was in 2021.

• Options

An update on Facebook a couple of hours ago from the Tauck tour director we follow:

We are in Amman, Jordan, heading to our hotel. There are reports 9 Americans have been killed in Israel. Our thoughts are with their families and loved ones.

Possibly the same tour group that pwresq is mentioning above.

• Options

mil:I understand their hands are full; but a big company should have some delegated to dealing with situations like this.Need not be a full plan but at least an interim communication.

• Options

Update: JohnS., yes I believe we're on the same sister tour; perhaps you're in Tour Director M's group; I'm in Tour Director V's group.

Note: there is a third Tauck tour here (we just met a few of them tonight), and they arrived the other day and told their trip was cancelled before they could visit/do anything. They too are flying out of Amman.

Note further: V said his next Israel-Jordan trip is late October and he's not certain if that is going to happen. I hope for those folks traveling on the 19th or thereafter they receive some communication shortly from Tauck. My guess is that those trips won't happen.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file