Options

carry on luggage on motor coach

It has been awhile since I've traveled to Europe with Tauck and I was reading the luggage suggestions. I have no problems with the checked piece but am wondering what to do for the carry on. I had hoped to take a rolling carry on, but it sounds like Tauck is discouraging that. I know a small backpack would be an option - something you can fit under the seat or in the overhead bin on the motor coach. Does anyone have any suggestions about what they have used? If you have used a backpack, please share the specific brand and type if possible.

Comments

• Options

You can take a small rolling one, they’ll put it under the bus if it doesn’t fit in the overhead. I did take a backpack on the Au/NZ trip…a LeSportSac which worked very well.

• Options

I love the LeSportsSac backpacks. They barely weigh anything and comes in various sizes and colors.

• Options

Every European land tour I've taken with Tauck the coach had a separate compartment under the bus for carryon bags you bring to/from the bus yourself to. On a full sized tour it can get pretty crowded. I have a wheeled carryon bag that is small enough to fit under airline seat. Its big enough for essentials and allows me to get my large bag ready the night before so early luggage pulls aren't an issue. My husband carrys a backpack.

For inside the coach there will either be an open shelf or some recent ones have doors similar to airplanes -- just smaller. Fine for daypacks, coats, hats, etc. No room under seats as the foot rests block that.

• Options

You can bring your carry-on down to the coach in the morning that you travel from Hotel A to Hotel B, and have it stored underneath the bus. You can retrieve it when you get to Hotel B and bring it to your room.

• Options

We always just use backpacks. I use Vera Bradley ones, I have several, two have more waterproof fabric. The patterns make themselves easy to spot. They are really lightweight. Last year, we took a tour that had multiple nights where we could just have a backpack and our suitcases traveled separately, so I found a bigger VB backpack that zipped right open like a clamshell and it worked well. We have a Vera Bradley outlet store a few miles away, so I go there, always great sales and more money off on one day a week for seniors.
    My husband used a school book bag he got at Costco years ago. I could never get him to buy a new one until that trip last year when I found exactly the same type of bag as my VB on Amazon. It was a really cheap price but it was awesome, he loved it. Several solid color to choose from. Both our bags have lots of separate compartments so you can really organize them well.

• Options

I will add to MCD's post. If you do store your small carry-on in the compartment of the bus, you will not be able to retrieve it until you arrive at the next designated hotel when all the luggage is removed. Tauck makes this quite clear but inevitably some people will demand that the driver remove their carry-on whenever the bus stops. This causes unnecessary work for the driver and can lead to delays in arriving at destinations.

• Options

I appreciate all of the comments. i thought my rolling carry on would fit under the seat on my airline but it will not. I want something I can easily access while on the plane. I have researched everything I can think of but there is not alot out there that fits the airline's under the seat requirements. I am going to order a LeSportsac backpack and see if that might work. I really want something lightweight. Thank you for your replies!

• Options

I will add one more comment in case someone else is in a similar situation. I did call LeSportsac to get the weights of several of their backpacks. They won't tell you specific weights but they did say that all of their backpacks are under 16 ounces. One has lining which adds to its durability. I certainly did not find anything else out there that is that lightweight!

• Options

I have 3 LeSportSac backpacks. My husband’s is larger than mine. I’ve taken them on several trips. I can send you a picture if you like or you can direct message me. I also make the bottom of it sturdier by cutting a plastic kitchen placement to the dimension of the bottom of the backpack. It works like a charm. I do the same with my Longchamp nylon tote bags. I like to think smarter than a 5th grader!

• Options

Here is the one I have for your reference.

• Options

I use a Vera Bradley zippered tote as my "personal item" when I fly. It holds my small crossbody purse and other essentials while travelling. Then I use that on the bus while touring to hold water, snacks, rain jacket, etc. Usually stays on my lap or overhead. Good to store the papers the TDs love to hand out.

When we are jumping out for stops, I typically only take the crossbody off the bus. Hate touring and carrying things. Hubby has a backpack, so I stick a small water bottle in there.

I also travel with a roller board and a medium size suitcase. I bring the carryon down myself in the am and put on the bus. That bag has a full days change of clothes, shoes, bathing suit, etc. while in transit, then gets reshuffled with mainly cosmetics later once the tour begins. NEVER will I fly anywhere without extra clothing - losing luggage is NOT fun!

• Options

I typically use a Deuter Speed lite 21. Very comfortable even with fully loaded. Easily fits under the seat on airlines and in the overhead storage on Tauck buses. Works great for day hikes and on a bike. Weighs 15 or 16 ounces. But not a lot of internal organization which suits me fine. Matador also makes packable bags and backpacks that are extremely light. Peak Design has a packable tote at 3 oz. My wife uses one.

• Options

Travelgirl, I haven't had any trouble getting my underseat roller bag under airline seats but generally try not to put it there since it takes up all my leg room. I have a nicer and larger carryon hardside roller bag. Fine for carryon only trips but I can't manage it with my larger checked bag. The smaller roller will fit on top of it so I can handle them both easily. It's fine on tour that Tauck handles the bags but there's always a certain amount of time I have to handle it all myself.

Under 16 ounces for a backpack is pretty good unless it's just a single layer of nylon. Most of those tend to have marginal zippers so they're fine for daypacks but might not last well for more extensive use. So many backpacks out there now are made for laptops so they have more padding and structure driving up the weight. Great if you want to bring your laptop but a pain otherwise.

There's a youtuber I follow named the Genx Gypsy who has been touting the Lovevook backpacks from Amazon. Reasonable prices and they look pretty good but all the ones I've looked at were around 1.5lbs or more. It you care, here's a link to her video comparing that brand with Bagallini. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZkoibhn3lI
    Also has some useful info on the topic of personal items fitting under seats.

• Options

For several years, I have been satisfied with the Eddie Bauer 30L Stowaway backpack. Light weight and durable. My husband has one too and likes it.

• Options

I bought one of these about year ago and have been using it as my carryon. It will hold 2 days of clothes, laptop, etc.:
    https://www.amazon.com/Samsonite-Spinner-Underseater-Port-Ocean/dp/B07H8TX91R?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1

• Options

I have that one as well.

• Options

I’m a Biaggi traveler!! For my carry-on piece, I use Lift-Off! Expandable Underseater to Carry On. Fits under the seat easily. It expands to 22” - plenty of room for purchases, etc. it is suitable for check in. And unlike the other products, this one has a metal handle metal and a sturdy 4 wheel base. I’ve been very pleased!

• Options

Not your typical high end Tauck traveler I guess. I use a L.L. Bean backpack that one of my boys carried to school 28 years ago. I've used it for years! Nylon, zippers are great, four compartments. Easy Peasy.