Options

Just returned from Jordan & Egypt-small group (2/2024)

We just returned from our 10th Tauck trip, Jordan & Egypt small group (2/2024). We were suppose to be a small group of 24 but only 9 of us did not cancel our booking. So glad we did not cancel! We never once felt we were in danger and all of the local guides and boat/hotel staff were always thanking us for traveling. It was great for us as crowds were smaller at the tourist sites! I am posting this with the hopes it will answer any small questions/concerns you might have about taking this trip but please reach out to me if you have another question. This was a fabulous time to travel as the temps were very comfortable. Jordan was chilly and we either wore a fleece or lightweight jacket. Egypt was a little warmer so we just wore our long sleeves shirts. This is a very casual trip (with the exception of a dinner jacket required at the Cataract restaurant). A lot of us used the laundry service on our river boat, Oberoi Philae, and were very pleased with their cleaning and fees. The Oberoi Philae is a wonderful ship with the largest cabins on the Nile! In Egypt, we had an armed guard with us at all times. His services were never needed except to gently tell the street vendors to go away! You do not need to get any foreign currency before the trip! Both countries are happy to accept our USD. I would suggest you get an assortment of small US bills if you plan on making purchases from the street vendors. Also, our Tauck Director gave us bathroom money. The best place to shop was at the GEM (Grand Egyptian Museum). They have a wonderful gift shop for some last minute souvenirs or gifts. Airport security was easy. The first round was to X-ray our luggage and personal items. You would then check in your luggage and proceed to the second round of security. This time you had to remove your watch, belts and shoes. The only thing that was different was that there were always two lines for security, one for women and one for men. Everyone is patted down after going through the x-ray machine so they would have a female for the women's lines and a male for the men's line. Again, a fabulous trip that I would recommend to all!

Comments

• Options

Was the GEM fully open- all galleries and display rooms or just the grand hall/stairway and gift shop??

• Options

Unfortunately, it was only the grand hall/stairway and gift shop.

• Options

Thanks for the comments. We are on the March 17 Classic tour.

• Options

AlanS - Was the GEM fully open-...

Keep trying! 😂😂

• Options

Wonder how many are on the classic tours these days that are cheaper?

• Options

Was the GEM fully open?

That's funny. GEM = Grand Egyptian Mismanagement.

• Options

Thank you for posting. We’re going the end of April!!

• Options

Thank you. We are leaving for Egypt on the 15th and your tipping info was very helpful. As well as info about the security lines.

• Options

We took this trip in Nov-Dec...it was fabulous! Enjoy all! And even though the GEM was not open except for the Grand staircase, lobby and the stores, it is so worth the visit. The building itself is a marvel and I would happily return there just to see it in its completed glory.

• Options

Just returned from the Mar.17 Classic tour. There were a total of 17 which the tour director said was the largest group since Oct. 7. No security concerns at all.

• Options

Happy to hear your travels went as well as ours! It is an incredible trip!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file