Options

UA to begin flights from EWR to Marrakech

From CNBC:
United Airlines is planning to launch flights to Marrakesh, Morocco, and Medellin, Colombia, and ramp up its service to Asia, in the carrier’s latest bet that consumers will continue to shell out for trips abroad.

The flights from United’s Newark, New Jersey, hub to Marrakesh are scheduled to begin Oct. 24 using a Boeing
767-300ER.

Comments

• Options

Do you know if these are going to be direct flights to/from EWR?

• Options

The article didn't specifically say, but since EWR is one of UA's hubs, I would expect it's a non-stop.

• Options

ANYTHING would be better than Royal Air Maroc.

• Options

I don't understand ChrisGold's comment about Air Maroc. I've flown them a couple of times and found them to be quite good. The aircraft was fairly new, the business class seats were comfortable and the service was excellent.

• Options

I've already booked my Morocco flights with Delta airlines; however, I was curious. The United flights to Marrakesh departing EWR all had layovers in European countries - at least the few dates I entered. . No direct flights :(

• Options

I think Marrakesh is not a major entry point for Morocco. You'd probably find more direct flights if you search for flights to Casablanca.

• Options

Mike, you say Air Maroc is quite good, which to me is less than good. Can you explain why? I am going to Morocco next year, to Casablanca.

• Options

I don't understand your question, British. Quite good means good plus, not less than good. Maybe there's a difference between American English and British English.

• Options
    edited March 13

Yes, it is certainly different! That’s why I’ve been confused when people on the forum say quite good, I interpret it as not so good or so so and my husband confirms that with me.
    Oh, so why is it quite good in your America opinion 😀?

• Options

I assume you mean "Why is Air Maroc quite good?" I found their aircraft to be fairly new. The flights we were on were 787-8 aircraft and the seating in business class was comfortable. I wouldn't rate their business class seating higher than other airlines, but it was as good as most business class seating we've experienced. The service on the flights was excellent. I don't remember the food but that usually means it was satisfactory.

I'm not a real picky traveler but I do want a good lie-flat bed and good service during the flight. I don't have anything negative to say about Air Maroc.

• Options

My husband and I flew Royal air Maroc last year for our Morocco tour with Tauck. We found their business class comparable to United in terms of food, with better seating and service on RAM, and would absolutely fly them again. The lounges were the weak point in both Casablanca and Kennedy. At Dulles they partner with Turkish Airlines, so the lounge is much better. . Also, we live in the DC area , and they do not have daily flights. They changed the day of the flight over to Casablanca and we had to call and insist that they change us to Kennedy for no extra charge ( which they did) so our travel days would remain the same. We covered our own airfare to Kennedy. Our return flight was unchanged.

• Options

Hopefully, United Airlines won't fly a Boeing Max! :)
    Just saying......

• Options

My wife and I booked bulkhead economy seats far in advance, JFK to Casablanca, on RAM, using American Airlines miles.

1. Approximately a month before the flight we received an email that our return flight had been cancelled, and we would have to fly a day later. That email included our new seat assignments, still in the bulkhead thankfully. We couldn't find another flight that worked, so we added an extra night at the end of our tour. I called RAM to question this change and they assured me that there was no longer a flight that day. That was a lie.
    2. A few days before our flight RAM emailed us and offered us a paid upgrade to business class. We accepted and paid $1900 for the outbound upgrade and received our seat assignments. Day of the flight we boarded and settled into our seats, got our amenities handed to us, and were about to order our dinner when three staff members approached us and said that there was a problem. We should not have been able to purchase an upgrade and they were moving us back to economy. I argued and told them they must just need our seats for someone else and they said no... WE had broken their policy (even though I was responding to their offer) and had to move back to economy, and of course now we wouldn't be sitting together. They flew with those business class seats empty.
    3. Prior to takeoff, someone changed their mind and ran off the flight, leaving their carry-on bags behind. The crew attempted to get everyone to take their bags out of the overhead and put them on their laps so they could find the left behind bags. They only announced it in Arabic so most of the plane couldn't understand the request. Luckily, a few passengers translated and organized the unloading of the bags. A passenger in the back of the plane was vomiting all over the floor. They were ignored by the staff and eventually passengers cleaned it up. After finding a couple of unclaimed bags they deemed the flight safe, and we took off. The service was almost as horrendous as the food they served. (As an example, if someone asked for water, they were given a cup that was 1/4 full, and that was consistent for the entire flight. They must have been rationing.)
    4. We arrived at the airport three hours before our return flight. I had received multiple email and text reminders about check-in time for the flight, our confirmed seats, etc... when we attempted to check-in we were told that we were not confirmed on that flight and would have to go to the ticket office downstairs. We went to the ticket office and an agent brought up our account and told us we were supposed to fly the day before. I told her that her airline cancelled that flight. She said "no we didn't that flight left on time yesterday." I showed her the email telling me it was cancelled, all my new confirmation emails, seat assignments, etc... took her about 45 minutes to eventually clear it up and get us confirmed (again).
    5. We lined up for boarding and there were a lot of elderly passengers in wheelchairs that were brought to the front. Everyone else just crowded in tight behind them, no organization, not boarding in any particular order, just a free for all. As they were about to board, the local agents yelled at the wheelchair passengers and porters telling them to get out of the way, and made them force their way back through the crowd waiting to board. (business class was already boarded) They proceeded to start boarding, and had passengers lined up in the jetway, as the stewards were not letting economy on the plane yet. Finally, after standing on the jetway for 10 minutes or so, economy started to board. At that point they decided to send the wheelchairs down the crowded jetway now that there was no room for them. Total chaos ensued.
    6. After boarding we noticed that one of the two mid-plane bathrooms was out of order, and was sealed shut with tape. (Yes, on their newer 787-9 aircraft) The plane was VERY dirty. The one remaining bathroom in the middle of the plane was absolutely trashed by passengers, and the stewards refused to do anything about it, even after some VERY vocal complaints from passengers, and all paper products having run out. The switch on the door lock was also not working, which led to the light in the bathroom not turning on as well as the green light not turning to red to indicate someone was in there. People were trying to force the door open while stewards sat 3 feet away ignoring it all, which led to near physical altercations between passengers. Finally, after an older woman refused to go into the bathroom and just stood staring in disgust, the crew got up and did a very cursory clean up and replenished the paper products. This was within an hour of landing and HOURS since the complaints began.
    7. Upon landing there was a rush to the front of the plane to deboard. This time there were physical altercations and a lot of screaming and threats flying around. Again, RAM staff did nothing, no one got on the intercom to try to restore order. I told my wife I was going to step out into the aisle so she could get in front of me and get off the plane. A passenger who was fighting his way up from the back threw his wheeled bag into me to try to stop me. Luckily my glare and choice words ended it there and we got off the plane without further incident.

Ask me how it's going receiving my $1900 refund...

• Options

ChrisGold. OMG :s that's a nightmare scenario. I have no words. Good Luck with your refund!

• Options

So that’s what Mike calls ‘ quite good’ service!

• Options

British - that is not what I experienced on the flights we took on Royal Air Maroc. I would not call what ChrisGold experienced acceptable. Obviously, that cannot be the normal situation on a RAM flight or they would no longer be in business.

I've had a horrible experience on American Airlines, but I don't say that every American Airlines flight is horrible because of that one experience.

• Options

Mike, I was joking.

• Options

As I posted earlier- we had excellent flights on RAM that were better than United business class. RAM actually has live bodies that answer the phone and respond to queries, unlike airlines that only go through consolidates ( eg Lufthansa). Horrible experiences can happen with any airline. Was it the best airline we ever flew- no. However, its business class prices to Morocco were significantly less expensive than the major players without annoying layovers (eg in Paris), and certainly would warrant our trying them again.

• Options

We fly a lot in business class on American and had one terrible experience going from Dallas to San Jose. The plane was old, the food was terrible, the entertainment system wasn't working. However, most of our flights on AA have been very nice and comfortable. Two months after we returned from Costa Rica we had a flight on an American Flagship plane from Dallas to London and it was just wonderful. Both flights were just months apart. Go figure!!

• Options

Update: RAM refused to refund our $1900, then actively fought it with our credit card company when we disputed the charge. RAM's official response was that the $1900 was the cost of our flight, not a purchased upgrade, which is obviously a blatant lie, as all of our (their) documents show. I understand that some have had good flights with them, but we didn't just have one bad flight, we had two, plus failure after failure with their reservation system, gate staff, flight staff, customer service, and finally, fraud. Cannot in good conscience recommend them to anyone. I won't lose sleep over the $1900 but will continue to fight them until our options are exhausted.

• Options

Have you considered seeing if the Points Guy take u your case or Peter Elliott?

• Options

Another source to contact for assistance is The New York Times

If you need advice about a best-laid travel plan that went awry, send an email to TrippedUp@nytimes.com.

• Options

Thank you for the suggestions... I'll continue to work with our credit card company for now, as I am confident they will eventually rule in our favor. Everything is of course well documented with RAM's own receipts.