Options

Non Disclosure of total costs- AWFUL!

13»

Comments

• Options
    edited May 8

Driver gratuities were included in the price of the tour for the four land tours we have taken and for the upcoming land tour. Of course you can always give the drivers an additional tip.The document we received for our latest tour and for all the rest have said the following:

"All other service gratuities, including those for your motorcoach driver(s), local guides, hotel
    bellmen and restaurant staff, have been included in the price of your journey."

• Options

Tauck is still suffering after the Pandemic, they had to cut back on expansion plans. However, I’m still surprised they are giving out packing cubes to some people. Oh, wait a minute, their prices are now crazy.

• Options

@Sealord that wickedly cool! I grew up in CT and but I love living in MA... plus I have a little Iroquois in my family lineage.

• Options

Are you sure the $24.00 is per person a day it may be for a couple. I've never seen gratuity to the tour director any higher than $12.00, only river cruise prices include the gratuity for the tour directors, the land tours don't.
    Before complaining you should talk to Tauck and verify.

• Options

It probably is $24 for the couple as gladysorlando984 suggested. I just inquired what the current tip for the tour Director was.Tauck representative told me $12 per day.

• Options

Actually, all but rookie TDs probably have an easy and convenient way to deposit their tip money (with or without Taucks's assistance.) I'm sure they quickly learn after the first few times carrying a ton of cash and/or they talked with TDs who have been doing it for years. Any inconvenience is offset by the fact that they just received potentially $5K to $10K+!! :D

Until we get to the first hotel is the only time we carry around a large amount of cash outside the Tauck bubble. Most of the time the cash is in the hotel room safe, in our luggage (now that luggage is picked up inside the room) or day bag in the locked bus. Speaking of that, has anyone ever heard of a Tauck bus being broken into?

Another thought that just popped into my head- say a TD typically leads 2 week long classic tours with an average of 40 people and receives an average of the suggested tip of $12 per person, per day. That equals $6,720 (14 X 40 X 12) per tour. Now, multiply that by how many tours the TD leads. 16 tours per year (which equals 32 weeks and may be a bit too high) yields $107,520 per year. Depending on their contract, they may also receive wages from Tauck but be classified as an independent contractor, so have little withholding. Not too shabby.

• Options

I do the same thing as you, Portolan; that is, making sure to take currency exchange rates into account, but I typically tip in USDs.

As far as carrying cash, my husband has shirts and slacks with deep, zippered pockets which he wears exclusively for travel.

• Options

To add to AlanS comment, Tauck provides health insurance to the TDs who work a certain amount of days per year.

A TD can make a decent living, but they're away from home a LOT, and they don't have a lot of security. During COVID Tauck carried their health insurance but they didn't have any other income from Tauck.

I don't know how you could have a family and be a full-time TD. It's not a job I'd want to do.

• Options

Mike, there are also geopolitical risks. The TDs that had a full schedule in Israel or Russia are likely scrambling for jobs now. I asked our cruise director a few weeks ago what Tauck is doing to support them and I got a lot of mumbling......

• Options

The TDs often have hidden resumes. I was curious about one of the TDs that we had several times so I Googled him. He has a PHD in marine biology. All of the Zodiac drivers on our Ponant ship in Antarctica had advanced degrees in earth sciences.