Just returned from Jewel of the Nile, September 2024, and thought these tips are worth mentioning.

Hi All,

I have been back a few days and thought some of the notes from the trip may be worth sharing as you begin to pack for this trip of a lifetime. The gentleman who posted the many details of the trip did a great job and so I will try not to repeat his thoughts as much has stayed the same.

1. Camera Equipment: I use more than a cell phone for photos. I took my 14 to 140 lens, a telephoto lens, and my flash. I should have traveled with only my 14 to 140 lens. In the Giza pyramids, they wanted to confiscate my telephoto lens, and in the Cairo airport, I was held up for minutes as the lens and flash caused some suspicious concerns. I never needed anything but the 14 to 140 lens through the trip. No flash in tombs so it was a wasted space in my luggage.

2. Tauck gives you toilet money, 20 Egyptian pounds, to start the trip because as with other countries the bathrooms have service people in them handing out toilet paper and such. You will learn that these are hard working people making a living. Most of the payment at toilet breaks will be covered by the tour director but if you can put a few US dollar bills in your pocket you can use the bathroom anytime without having to worry who is paying.

3. While visiting tombs and temples there are security guards and other men who will offer to take your photo or offer to take you to a private site. Be aware that if you allow them to take your photo they will gesture to you that they want to be tipped. They get very pushy and if you tip one many more will approach you through your stay. Your tour guide will tell you how to deal with merchants on the streets that block you and hound you to buy something but the random men at the sites were new to me.

4. Laundry: I did laundry three times on the trip. The first time was unexpected as the layover city, Vienna, left my luggage out in the rain and when I arrived in Cairo, every piece of clothing in my luggage was wet and smelly. I also did laundry on the ship as well as the last stop the St. Regis. Good prices, fast service and well done. I guess I spend about 100 dollars on laundry.

5. Pants vs Shorts: I wore shorts the entire time in and out of tombs and temples. The length was right above the knee and they were appropriate for all sites. The only day I wore pants was the last day due to the visit to the mosque. We only visited one and I was disappointed that we did not go to the second one on the same property. I was never required to cover my head.

6. Metal detectors and X ray scanners everywhere. Be ready to visit each site with many layers of security. You can pass your phone and camera above the scanners.

7. GEM visit for soft opening. If you are looking to shop realize that this truly is NOT a shopping trip. After you hear about the Grand Staircase in the GEM, waste no time to go to the gift shop at the museum. Good stuff, no pressure shopping and all Egyptian-made products because it is a government store. You are given very little time in the GEM so take advantage if you want to shop.

8. Speaking of shopping many of us wanted to buy silver or gold cartouches. The price of gold was extraordinary and many of us did not know if we were getting a fair price because the gold was not weighed and/or the merchants would not tell us the grams. This happened in all three wonderful hotels, Mena House, St Regis and our stop for lunch at the Ritz Carlton in Cairo. Some people bought at the Mena House and the same gentleman owned the jewelry store in the St Regis. After comparing prices, I decided to buy at the Ritz Carlton from Loay and his father. I brought a 925 silver cartouch dipped in 24 carat gold. The hieroglyphs spell out my name and he was able to make it for me in 24 hours. He delivered it to the St Regis in time for the farewell dinner. Price was 180 dollars without a chain.

9. Flight and Walking distance I booked through Tauck and the flight was JFK to Vienna To Cairo. Just a warning if you are not a strong walker you may need assistance from the arrival gate in Vienna to the departure gate in Cairo as well as the return. It is a long distance.

10. Be ready to run....we did not get enough time in Abu Simbel. I deeply thank Tauck for charting a flight and of course, a coach bus to bring us to the site. However, after our Egyptologist finished well informed commentary we were given one hour to explore the two temples.

11. I should have made more of an effort to attend an evening light show or performance of some kind especially the evenings on the ship. We had so much time in the afternoon to rejuvenate that I could have immersed myself in evening activities.

Comments

• Regina very nice report, thank you.

• Very nice report. Abu Simbel was amazing. We were fortunate to see the sound and light show. Egypt is extraordinary but we flew often in the middle of the night. Interrupted my beauty sleep.

• Thanks! Helpful comments!

• I don’t think I ever got a full nights sleep on this trip. Early starts at 3:30 a,m. For 6:00 a.m. was brutal. I loved the trip, but was not prepared for that. I was there in November os 2021. Maybe it’s better now?

• I'd also offer up the Old Cataract Hotel as a place to purchase a cartouche. they had some nice choices.

• franlovestravel
    October 13
    I don’t think I ever got a full nights sleep on this trip. Early starts at 3:30 a,m. For 6:00 a.m. was brutal. I loved the trip, but was not prepared for that. I was there in November 2021. Maybe it’s better now?

I think you must be one of those people who needs a lot more time to get ready in the morning than we do!!! "I'm ready for my closeup, Mr. Demille."

We did J&E, a different tour, in March of '22 and only had few starts earlier than about 8:00 or a typical Tauck tour start While breakfast typically opened very early, we saw no need to be there when it opened. The actual time to meet in the lobby or aboard the motor coach was not usually before 8:00 am except for flight days. From our go sheet, the go times were 8:00 am on Day 2, 8:30 on Day 3, 7:50 on Day 4, 6:30 on Day 5 (fly to Aswan day) and Day 6 (fly to Abu Simbel), 8:00 am Day 7, 9:00 am on Day 8, 8:00am on Day 9, 6:30 on Day 10 (fly to Cairo), and 8:00 am for Days 11 and 12.

On days with the earlier (6:30 am) starts, we never got up at 3:30 am!! :o:o We would lay out our clothes and do all personal prep the night before, get up at 5:15, dress quickly, then grab a bite to eat (easy to do with a buffet) before boarding the bus!

• I did the Jewels of the Nile Tour. I thought travel logistics, overall, were poor, with ridiculously early departures, rushing back for free time in the afternoons, etc.

• Though they didn't call it that, returning to the boat or hotel in the afternoon, was actually to avoid the hottest part of the day which occurs about 3:00 pm, and allow us geezers time to take a little siesta after lunch and an early go! :D:D Pretty good planning if you ask me.

• I did the trip in early November, so there were no heat issues to deal with.

• Also, many shops close during those hours.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file