Planning for the Grand Canadian Rockies

edited August 2020 in Grand Canadian Rockies
We're looking at the Grand Canadian Rockies tour for next year (French Waterways and Vineyards coming up this year!). One of our traveling companions has not been on a Tauck tour previously and had a few questions. I could respond, but only to specifics of the previous Tauck tour (Spain & Portugal) I was on.

1. Are any of the dinners a buffet, or are they all off a menu or limited menu?

2. Is there more than one Tauck group (bus) traveling the same tour at the same time? And if so, do they intermingle (share tours, meals, etc)?

Thanks!

Comments

• Dear Rabo ,

When I went to Canada tour on last year in Dec I had taken Devonian hotel for the ten days accommodation.The services were very nice .
  • Rabo I think you must have reached your destination till now.
  • We returned last week.

I've posted a daily blog at -
    http://www.rabo.com/Blog/Grand_Canadian_Rockies/Grand_Canadian_Rockies.html

It was a "Do Not Miss" trip!

jerry
  • Recently returned from Legends of the American West tour. All in all good, but PLEASE change the hotel stay at the Jackson Lake Lodge! It was dirty, dilapidated , and bug infested. Housekeeping was basically nonexistent and the restaurant service... we're talking 3 hour dinners because of the service. Better to stay at the Four Seasons and drive to the park.
  • edited July 2014
    You might get the result you crave if you hadn't posted under Canada. Wyoming is part of the United States. You will find the thread for your trip in United States, Western USA, Yellowstone & Grand Teton National Park.

If you have a complaint about a particular aspect of your trip, I hope you filled in your questionnaire accordingly. Tauck take notice of that feedback.

I can't comment on the particulars of your accommodation, however I will say that some people do seem to regard any time spent at an evening meal is a waste of time. Food is just fuel to be shovelled in at five o'clock in five minutes. I hale from a different culture. Time spent over a meal, in conversation or contemplation, in such a spectacular environment as Jackson Lake Lodge in the evening light … well, I would love to return. It's a much nicer way to elevate stress-related disorders than popping pills. You haven't commented on the food, so I assume that must have been satisfactory.

Don't forget to re-post in the correct forum, Tauck Frequent Traveller. I guess this being your first post, it does take a while to get used to the geography.

Cheers,

Jan
  • it is very nice I love canada and beautyful places best essay writing service
  • We did the Canadian Rockies Tauck tour last week. This was our first Tauck tour. The pluses were: Excellent hotels , excellent tour director and excellent scenery. The negatives were: not enough scheduled activities that should have been included in the Tauck price, The overnight train trip was a waste, the dinners were from a limited menu and included only non alcoholic drinks, the tram ride was nothing. I did not see Tauck as anything special for the premium price that they charged.
  • The itinerary is provided right here on the website. Was it somehow different from what occurred on your tour? Not everyone wants to be busy with group activities the entire time.

As for alcohol, Tauck land tours don't generally include alcohol except for the occasional wine provided at special dinners. Was the food bad or were you unable to find something you wanted to eat?
  • edited September 2017
    ptbluster wrote:
    We did the Canadian Rockies Tauck tour last week. This was our first Tauck tour. The pluses were: Excellent hotels , excellent tour director and excellent scenery. The negatives were: not enough scheduled activities that should have been included in the Tauck price, The overnight train trip was a waste, the dinners were from a limited menu and included only non alcoholic drinks, the tram ride was nothing. I did not see Tauck as anything special for the premium price that they charged.

You seem to have chosen one of the more expensive Tauck tours. I have taken three different Canada tours with Tauck and enjoyed them all. By reading the tour itinerary carefully, you could see all the free time you had. It would not have been my first choice on Canada because it is indeed an expensive one. I thought we got much better bang for our buck on the other tours.
    I prefer to pay for drinks as we go along, I don't want alcohol paid for as part of the tour.
    We have hardly ever had limited menus on our many Tauck tours all over the world.
    I hope you let Tauck know how dissatisfied you were. Were there others on your tour unhappy?
  • As for the trip to Rockies from Saskatoon, PLEASE help me with the route. I'm gonna start tripping in March 2019 and have already chosen a rental service
    https://iversta.com/ to make an appointment for a car (to drop it somewhere near destination point). There will be three of us to go. And what places can we visit during our route if we are planning to make not more than three stops?
  • As for the trip to Rockies from Saskatoon, PLEASE help me with the route. I'm gonna start tripping in March 2019 and have already chosen a rental service
    https://iversta.com/ to make an appointment for a car (to drop it somewhere near destination point). There will be three of us to go. And what places can we visit during our route if we are planning to make not more than three stops?

Maybe you should go to another site to promote your website (SPAM), since you are obviously not traveling with Tauck.
  • In Jasper do you stay in the Lodge or the cabins?

• DianeElliott - You should start a new thread to ask your question. The thread that you latched onto is 5 years old.

• It’s eleven years old!

• I don't think it matters how old the thread is since people are, obviously, going to read it.

DianeElliott - The first time we took this tour we stayed in a townhome-type building rather far from the main lodge. It had four rooms; two on the bottom and two on the top floor. The room was quite large, rustic and had a fireplace. It was lovely but quite isolated. The second time we were placed in the main lodge. Tauck does not assign the rooms, at least they did not both times we took the tour. The cabins, I believe, are reserved for families not associated with the Tauck tour. Regardless, the accommodations were quite nice and the tour wonderful.

For more comments, you can either use the search bar at the top right of this page or scroll to the right and search for this tour under the Canada category. If you still have questions, feel free to ask and I will try to assist you.

• We are a couple and shis is where we stayed at the Jasper Lodge. I believe it’s a cabin.

• Very nice! How long ago was that?

• That was in 2016.

• We were last there in 2011 and then about twelve (12) years prior to that. I have never been disappointed with the Fairmont brand of hotels. Such a beautiful tour. Thanks for the pictures.

• Are Adirondack chairs permitted in the Rockies?

• BKMD
    9:31PM
    Are Adirondack chairs permitted in the Rockies?

Only ones made from recycled plastic. :D

• Equally amazing is the iconic Le Chateau Frontenac in Quebec City. If you haven't taken Tauck's Capital Cities of Canada tour, you might enjoy it. It offers, in my opinion, a nice blend of cultural aspects as well as some beautiful, bucolic scenery. All the hotels are Fairmont properties. I wish we had added more days at the end (three simply were not enough). Although I am not a fan of large cruise ships, it was quite spectacular to watch the ships from the comfort of the boardwalk that is adjacent to the Frontenac.

Off topic, yes, from the original thread but at least still focused on Canadian travel.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file