Options

Food question: asking for my brother-in-law (really!)

Hi all,
We are almost ready to sign up for K-T for July/August of 2019. We are trying to figure out best dates for us. This will be our first African Adventure. One of my co-travelers wants to know about the food--specifically if 'game' or unusual meats are offered. I have scoured the forum and this topic has not been mentioned.

On another note... We are contemplating traveling independently to Cape Town at the conclusion of the trip. The itinerary mentions that on the last day, we will fly to Nairobi and then go to a hotel. It states: guests 'depart the (Nairobi) hotel for the airport after dinner' Plus allow 3 hours -- the reasonably priced flights from Nairobi to CT are in the afternoon. Is it possible to leave the hotel earlier?? Or even better, stay at the Nairobi airport and catch our CT flight?

Thanks,
Nancy

Comments

• Options
    edited May 2018
    Nanos wrote:
    Hi all,
    We are almost ready to sign up for K-T for July/August of 2019. We are trying to figure out best dates for us. This will be our first African Adventure. One of my co-travelers wants to know about the food--specifically if 'game' or unusual meats are offered. I have scoured the forum and this topic has not been mentioned.

On another note... We are contemplating traveling independently to Cape Town at the conclusion of the trip. The itinerary mentions that on the last day, we will fly to Nairobi and then go to a hotel. It states: guests 'depart the (Nairobi) hotel for the airport after dinner' Plus allow 3 hours -- the reasonably priced flights from Nairobi to CT are in the afternoon. Is it possible to leave the hotel earlier?? Or even better, stay at the Nairobi airport and catch our CT flight?

Thanks,
    Nancy

I don't believe we were offered "game" meat at any of our lodges in 2015, except for crocodile at a lunch BBQ at? (Amboseli in Kenya?) though that may have been a "tastes like chicken" joke. We mostly had buffets but could order off the menu a few times, but I just don't remember seeing any "game" meats listed. Here is a link to the dinner menu at the Boma Grill at the Four Seasons Serengeti (no game meat).

As far as getting from Nairobi to Cape Town, there is another thread in the K&T forum with almost exactly your situation.. Here is a link to a thread started by Lynart this past January about Nairobi See post #3 (by me) Essentially, you will be flying from the Mara to Nairobi on an "almost scheduled" flight : ) . . . remember "This is Africa" :) - flying out of a tiny, dirt strip on a fairly small commuter turboprop aircraft, so you may not know exactly when you will arrive (Tauck can give you a best guess), BUT you do NOT land at the international airport, at least we didn't in 2015, and your bags (everything but your duffles) will already be at the hotel. Anyway, read the thread. Since Lynart will have returned before you can make flight arrangements for 2019, maybe she will post an after action report.

Our flight home on ET departed in the afternoon, before everyone else- Tauck will transport you whenever you need to go. It might be best to fly to CPT the next day.

Our plane on the "tarmac" : ) at the Enkerende "airport" : ) , Maasai Mara

IMG_2426r.jpg

"Terminal(?) / duty free shop" : ) at Enkerende.

IMG_2427r.jpg
  • Options
    I had to think about this and sort out the Africa trips, but I definitely had several types of ‘game’ for dinner on this trip. I had game at least twice at the Mt. Kenya Safari Club. It is certainly possible that it is a seasonal thing, or only offered as ‘specials’. The waiter had to explain the dishes, and I think each was a type of antelope. There are always other options including vegetarian. My wife eats little meat, and she got along just fine.
  • Options
    Alan -- you are a wealth of information; your commentary and reviews (and photos!!) of your African trip and otherwise was a major factor in our choice of our next Tauck adventure. I am going to need blinders and medication for the flight in that 'toy' plane.
    Sealord: My b-i-l will be a happy camper -- we will just tell him that there are opportunities for 'game'...he watches too many Andrew Zimmern shows!
  • Options
    NancyCohen wrote:
    Alan -- you are a wealth of information; your commentary and reviews (and photos!!) of your African trip and otherwise was a major factor in our choice of our next Tauck adventure. I am going to need blinders and medication for the flight in that 'toy' plane.
    Sealord: My b-i-l will be a happy camper -- we will just tell him that there are opportunities for 'game'...he watches too many Andrew Zimmern shows!

Thanks! You may be on a slightly larger plane, but only slightly so. I like the small ones- they fly lower and slower so you get to really see the countryside, especially when you get to ride in the co-pilot's seat : )

"Buckle up!" Getting ready to fly from the Serengeti back to Arusha.

IMG_1969r.jpg
  • Options
    AlanS wrote:
    Thanks! You may be on a slightly larger plane, but only slightly so. I like the small ones- they fly lower and slower so you get to really see the countryside, especially when you get to ride in the co-pilot's seat : )

"Buckle up!" Getting ready to fly from the Serengeti back to Arusha.

IMG_1969r.jpg

I think that’s the bombardier/navigator seat. (;-)
  • Options
    Sealord wrote:
    I think that’s the bombardier/navigator seat. (;-)

ECMO #1 : )
  • Options
    Yes, definitely opportunities to eat ‘ bush meat’
    On our last trip to Africa, Namibia, we ate for example, kudu, eland, warthog, zebra
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Nanos wrote:
    Hi all,
    We are almost ready to sign up for K-T for July/August of 2019. We are trying to figure out best dates for us. . . . . One of my co-travelers wants to know about the food--specifically if 'game' or unusual meats are offered. I have scoured the forum and this topic has not been mentioned.

Thanks,
    Nancy

I forgot to mention, weather doesn't change much in Kenya and Tanzania- you are really close to the equator, in fact it runs right through the central courtyard of the Mount Kenya Safari Club- you'll get a 'coriolis effect' demonstration, but your are also in a high plains area- most of the tour is at 5000' or higher which tempers the heat, but you gotta keep your skin covered.

Also, though extremely rare, there might be an opportunity for your B-I-L to become game meat for the "local inhabitants," at least according to my wife. After the photo below was taken from a windowless safari vehicle, the female lion got up, took a few steps in our direction, looked my wife right in the eye, crouched, and (she swears) did the little hind leg dance our house cat does before it pounces. The lion didn't charge nor pounce, but my wife quickly dived for the floor of the jeep! : ) Our driver just laughed and luckily my wife wasn't hurt.

IMG_2748r.jpg
  • Options

AlanS you are awesome, great pictures..... Love the duty free, terminal one. :)) Hilarious.
    This trip is going to be memorable.

• Options
    edited May 2018
    BKMD wrote:

I am a big skeptic and have an engineering background, so watched very, very carefully. I was convinced of the validity of the demo. No money was involved : )

It was done with very large (almost 1 m diam.), shallow, smooth bronze/brass cauldrons, picture huge bird baths filled with water and having a tiny central drain in the bottom. A flower petal was placed in the bowl and was totally stationary before water was allowed to slowly drain out. Unlike many of the hoaxes no additional water was added and nothing done to the cauldrons. There was no spiral on the inside surface of tiny drain. It was either a very well designed hoax or valid demo.

According to the info at the Snopes link:

"It is true that taking great pains to isolate a small body of water from every other potential source of angular momentum can produce an observable Coriolis effect, but this condition does not hold true for the typical household fixture or pool:"

The jury is still out on this one.

But we were presented with crossing the equator certificates! : )
  • Options
    UPDATE:

I sent an email to Seth. Some may have traveled with him and some here have referred to him as "legendary." He was involved with the original design of the K&T Classic Safari and also the new gorilla tours (as well as some of the India tours.) He has been a Tauck TD for many years and currently still leads K&T tours every year. He confirmed my memory- the only "game" offered was and still is crocodile. That isn't to say folks haven't had other "game" animals to eat, but they are not standard offerings at Tauck lodging on Tauck tours.

Seth also said I need to get a hobby! : ) I told him this is my current one!
  • Options
    Yes...keep this as your hobby...great info, photos and hijacked topics. Makes for great reading at the end of the day. I am now hoping to find you on one of my trips...we all know what you look like AND we know where to find you - in the co-pilot's seat!! :)
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    I can’t certify as to where or when, but I agree with British on the ‘game’ dishes. Her list helped remind me. I have definitely had kudu on one of our Tauck safaris, and two other game animals. I think the eland was one of them. Seth I’m sure knows his safaris, but he apparently does not know everything on the menu. My wife was surprised when I ordered the game dishes, but she declined the opportunity for a tasting.

My wife just came home, so I asked her if she remembered that I ate game in Africa. She said, Oh yes, you definitely had game in Africa on our Tauck trips.
  • Options
    Yes, definitely had antelope meats on Tauck tours. Hey Ostrich too!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file