"Been There" Virtual Travel Quiz? Round #8

edited April 2020 in General

Previous winners:

Round #1 won by MCD and cvc
Submitted by AlanS. Photo of the Round Tower at Windsor Castle, Berkshire, UK. First photo shows Union Jack, second is the Royal Standard, indicating the Queen is on-site. Third photo is the chapel at Eton College, where Prince Harry and Prince William attended high school.

Round #2 (A) won by Smiling Sam
Submitted by JohnS. Photo of tomb of the Mughal Emperor Humayun in Delhi, India. The tomb was commissioned by his first wife and chief consort, Empress Bega Begum in 1569-70.

Round #2 (B) won by BKMD and travel maven
Submitted by Smiling Sam. Photo of the what is variously termed the Royal Barge or Gangaur boat, a sort of water taxi, that was used to transport James Bond across man-made (1362) Lake Pichola to the "Floating Palace" or “Taj Lake Palace,” in Udaipur City, Rajasthan, India in the 1983 movie “Octopussy” starring Roger Moore and produced by Robert Broccoli (no proven connection to the vegetable.)

Round #3 won by travel maven
Submitted by BKMD. Photo of the Dohány Street Synagogue located in Budapest, Hungary. Benefactors- Tony Curtis and Helena Rubenstein.

Round #4 won by Smiling Sam
Submitted by travel maven. It is the Chapel on Klimsenhorn, Mt. Pilatus, Switzerland, just outside Lucerne with nearby (Celtic?) cross. Once visited by Richard Wagner and Queen Victoria.

Round #5 won by Smiling Sam (we need to cut his internet feed!)
Submitted by Claudia Sails. Lions Monument in Lucerne Switzerland commemorating the Swiss guards killed in the French Revolution.

Round #6 won by BKMD
Submitted by cvc The high altar in St. John's Co-Cathedral in Valletta, Malta. cvc took the picture while on a Tauck's small ship cruise of the coast of Italy, making several stops in Sicily and then finished in Malta.

Round #7 won by JohnS
Submitted by Sandman. Anshun Bridge in Chengdu China. Chengdu is the home of the Research Base of Giant Panda Breeding. Best of China 2013 tour.

New players , please go to any of the announcements for Rounds #1 - #4 to see the rules.

Time for some fresh blood. Round #8 is now open for a submission- submit as a reply to this thread. Ready, Set, Go!!

Comments

• I think we can post again after at least 6 posts so here is another. This should be a fairly easy one so the next poster should be able to post soon.
    Where is this photo taken?
    BONUS QUESTION: What is this area famous for?

• Very difficult test. It appears to be a very generic neighborhood in which nothing stands out, unless I’m missing something. Hard to Google, “generic neighborhood”. I believe clues will be required to make any progress.

• I'll add that it appears to be a typical Tuscany/Umbria hill town. If so, which one- I haven't been able to tell.

• Clue #1: Some residents speak Catalan.

• Cardona, Spain which is famous for its salt mines?

• I thought this might be an easy one buy maybe not.
    Clue #2: Not Spain or Italy

• Hmmm, not Spain, not Italy? I assume you consider semi-autonomous Catalonia as part of Spain. That leaves Andorra, North Catalonia (France), the Balearic Islands (Ibizza, Majorca, Minorca) (Spain), and Sardinia (Italy). You went there on a Tauck tour? In recent years? You have me stumped!

• I was thinking a French-speaking country, as the store in the lower left says Glacier Artisanal, but I'm stumped, too.

• BKMD -- You must have great eyes!

• BKMD - And a large screen. I had to blow the thing up to full 24" screen size before I could read that sign, and that was after you pointed it out.

• When this challenge is over I'll be interested in hearing what JohnS thought would make this picture an easy one to recognize.

• Roussillon, France?

• MCD BKMD -- You must have great eyes!

No, I just copied and pasted the image into a photo viewer and enlarged it.

• I think Sandman solved it based on pictures I see on the web for Roussillon, France. What, in the picture, led you there?

• Here is a picture I found that leads me to believe Sandman solved it.

• edited April 2020

BKMD picking out the Glacier Artisanal led to my pick. I have so many photos from Tauck and independent travel that look like this picture that I doubt I could have guessed without this additional clue. My original thoughts were one of several cities in Croatia or Montenegro, but for the Catalan language.

• I agree that Sandman got it right. For the bonus question, if it is indeed Roussillon, is that the town is known for its red cliffs and ochre quarries. I visited this town on a River cruise a few years back.

• edited April 2020

My bad for thinking this might be an easy one.
    Sandman got the correct answer and travel maven got the bonus correct.
    This is the village of Roussillion situated in the Luberon in Provance France
    Situated in the heart of one of the biggest ochre deposits in the world, Roussillon is famous for its magnificent red cliffs and ochre quarries. provenceweb.fr/e/vaucluse/roussill/roussill.htm
    The pictures were taken during our Tauck Savoring France cruise on the Rhone in May 2018. It was one of the tours from the river curise

On to the next poster.

• edited April 2020

Well, I fooled myself! I used Wikipedia to find out where Catalan is spoken, Provence was not mentioned! I too read the sign Glacier Artisanal, but couldn't find it. There were no towns on French tours near what I thought was the Catalan speaking area, so I did not look at that tour or Roussillon, figuring it was way too far.

The photo clincher is the unique steeple spire in the distance in JohnS's photo and under the word Provence in Sam's photo, and my photo below. Oh, and there is the same small yellow/orange building in all three- in the gable end there is a long name (French version of pharmacy?) above a single door, no second story windows, and a cross of some sort in the upper left corner just below the roof line. It is the same building, but more of a side view, that is just above the man in the blue shirt in JohnS's original photo- the trees are much bigger or more leafed-out in the other two photos.

I'll set up Round #9 in a few minutes (before more yard work :/ )

• Omg, I thought Roussillon but since I haven't known any of the others keep quiet. Our first Tauck tour - the old French Waterways that's now Savoring France - also included that stop. One of my favorites. A beautiful day, a street market was happening and the views over the lavender fields were beautiful.

• I believe the tour has some minor changes since we took it but Day 8 is still pretty much the same. I could have posted some pictures tasting some top shelf Chateanueuf-du-Pape wines. :)

• Thanks, Well done!

• Well -- I might have recognized Chateauneuf-du-Pape (but not from a Tauck tour)!