Options

"Been There" Virtual Travel Quiz? Round #15

edited April 2020 in General

Previous winners:

Round #1 won by MCD and cvc
Submitted by AlanS. Photo of the Round Tower at Windsor Castle, Berkshire, UK. First photo shows Union Jack, second is the Royal Standard, indicating the Queen is on-site. Third photo is the chapel at Eton College, where Prince Harry and Prince William attended high school.

Round #2 (A) won by Smiling Sam
Submitted by JohnS. Photo of tomb of the Mughal Emperor Humayun in Delhi, India. The tomb was commissioned by his first wife and chief consort, Empress Bega Begum in 1569-70.

Round #2 (B) won by BKMD and travel maven
Submitted by Smiling Sam. Photo of the what is variously termed the Royal Barge or Gangaur boat, a sort of water taxi, that was used to transport James Bond across man-made (1362) Lake Pichola to the "Floating Palace" or “Taj Lake Palace,” in Udaipur City, Rajasthan, India in the 1983 movie “Octopussy” starring Roger Moore and produced by Robert Broccoli (no proven connection to the vegetable.)

Round #3 won by travel maven
Submitted by BKMD. Photo of the Dohány Street Synagogue located in Budapest, Hungary. Benefactors- Tony Curtis and Helena Rubenstein.

Round #4 won by Smiling Sam
Submitted by travel maven. It is the Chapel on Klimsenhorn, Mt. Pilatus, Switzerland, just outside Lucerne with nearby (Celtic?) cross. Once visited by Richard Wagner and Queen Victoria.

Round #5 won by Smiling Sam (we need to cut his internet feed!)
Submitted by Claudia Sails. Lions Monument in Lucerne Switzerland commemorating the Swiss guards killed in the French Revolution.

Round #6 won by BKMD
Submitted by cvc The high altar in St. John's Co-Cathedral in Valletta, Malta. cvc took the picture while on a Tauck's small ship cruise of the coast of Italy, making several stops in Sicily and then finished in Malta.

Round #7 won by JohnS
Submitted by Sandman. Anshun Bridge in Chengdu China. Chengdu is the home of the Research Base of Giant Panda Breeding. Best of China 2013 tour.

Round #8 won by Sandman, bonus answer by travel maven
Submitted by JohnS. The village of Roussillion situated in the Luberon in Provance France in the heart of one of the biggest ochre deposits in the world. Roussillon is famous for its magnificent red cliffs and ochre quarries. The pictures were taken during our Tauck Savoring France cruise on the Rhone in May 2018.

Round #9 won by JohnS
Submitted by Smiling Sam. In the centre of the Plaza de España of Madrid is one of the most important monuments of Miguel de Cervantes of the City. The monument to Cervantes, who died on the 23rd of April 1616, was commissioned by King Alfonso XIII in 1915, on the 300th anniversary of the publication of the second part of Don Quixote. The main body of the fountain was erected in the 1920’s, but the full monument was not completed until the 1960’s, when the sculptures of Aldonza and Dulcinea were added on the side. This impressive monument stands behind a rectangular pool. The figures of Don Quixote and his squire Sancho Panza stand on the central pedestal inviting passers-by to gaze at them amid the bustling life of the city.

Round #10 won by Sandman
Submitted by BKMD. Bathroom humor- Super Toilet controller, Waldorf Astoria Bejing; Odyssey in China.

Round #11 won by your's truly. :)
Submitted by British. Rwanda, sights somewhere along the road from Kigali to Ruhengeri or the park to see the Mountain Gorillas on K&T+ R.

Round #12 won by Derek
Submitted by Smiling Sam. It is the Presidential Palace in Hanoi, built by the French in the early 1900s to house the Governor General of French Indochina. When the Vietnamese took power, Ho Chi Minh refused to live in the palace. He built what is known as his Stilt House on the same grounds to live in. He would only host dignitaries in the Palace. As Derek says it is used for foreign dignitaries. Seen on the Vietnam, Cambodia, and Thailand tour.

Round #13 won by Smiling Sam with assist from Moi
Submitted by Derek. View of the marshy Okavango Delta from the lobby/dining area of the Belmond Eagle Island Lodge (camp), in Botswana. The Fish-Eagle Bar is in the distance on the right. Zambia, South Africa, Botswana tour.

Round #14 won by JohnS
Submitted by Smiling Sam. Wieliczka Salt Mine in Wieliczka Poland, Southwest of Krakow. Last Supper carved in Salt. Berlin, Danube, and Krakow river cruise.

Round #15 won by
Submitted by

New players , please go to any of the announcements for Rounds #1 - #4 to see the rules.

Round #15 is now open for a submission- submit as a reply to this thread. Ready, Set, Go!!

Comments

• Options

A bit of a human interest picture this time. A 2 part question.
    1. Where is this picture taken? (Look for a clue burried in the picture)
    2. What are these people doing?

• Options
    edited April 2020

Looks like a Phrenologist (head-bump reader) or chiropractor is giving the shoeshine/shoe repair guy a reading or an alignment :o Somewhere in India? Spotlight or Portrait of India? or one of the other two. I can't read the paper.

• Options

I assume the clue you speak of would be in the newspaper, but the resolution, at least with the tools that I have, is such that no useful information can be extracted from the newspaper. As such, determining a location for me is next to impossible.

Perhaps the gentleman in the red cap is giving the gentleman sitting a phrenology reading. :D
    Or he is performing a Vulcan mind meld. It's hard to see if he has pointed ears.

• Options

Unfortunately when uploading photos the resolution is downsized. You are correct in the clue being the newspaper which if you could see it better you could see the print being Hindi. India is correct but you will probably have to guess at the city. Vulcan mind meld is close but incorrect. I have only done the Vulcan mind meld once and had a year of nightmares after that. :# A few more guesses then I will reveal the answer.

• Options

I enlarged the pic and had the same problem. I was thinking Hebrew from the pixelated characters, but the people didn't look right (though Mr. Spock fits the mold).

• Options

Just a thank you to AlanS. As someone who looks at the forum daily, it has been a pleasant diversion with the Virtual Travel Quiz to get away from the doom and gloom of the Coronavirus and cancellations. Common sense would dictate that Tauck will have to keep canceling upcoming tours and it has been depressing to read all the unanswered questions about "what about mine?" You have done us all and Tauck a favor and deserve many thanks. Let's see how many agree with this!!!

• Options

I agree with Sandman and thank AlanS for starting this diversion. My hope is that by round #30 there will be a vaccine for Covid-19, the stock market will have recovered, employment will be back to normal and we will all be back to traveling.

• Options

JohnS, the Tauck audience that follows this "diversion" is too sharp not to get to #30 soon. I share your hope, but not your optimism. Maybe #3,000?

• Options

😀😀😀Alan, you are a star!

• Options

Sure AlanS is a great travel quiz AdMin, but can/will he swim in the Dead Sea ( if given the chance )? :D

• Options
    edited April 2020

Thanks folks. As you have noticed the "Admin" is playing too.

JohnS
    6:49PM

I agree with Sandman and thank AlanS for starting this diversion. My hope is that by round #30 there will be a vaccine for Covid-19, the stock market will have recovered, employment will be back to normal and we will all be back to traveling.

Unfortunately, it will probably be more like 130. :'(

Smiling Sam
    8:14PM

Sure AlanS is a great travel quiz AdMin, but can/will he swim in the Dead Sea ( if given the chance )?

For sure, but only if the water temp is much warmer than the pool at the Four Seasons, Serengeti. It took my breath away!

If Tauck went there I would guess Kolkata (Calcutta) but it could be any city or town in India. There was a Phrenological society in Kolkata in the Victorian Era.

Modern day Indian "practitioners" (healers, quacks) are completely unregulated and punishable under the Indian Medical Council Act of 1956, however they fill a void for the country’s vast rural population (68% of the population), which has long suffered from a severe shortage of doctors willing to leave major cities. It is estimated there are 2.5 million or more "healers" in India and that 80%, have no education or training for the full range of medical services they endeavor to provide.

• Options

In the interest in moving forward to the 130 mark I will explain the photo.
    The picture was taken in Delhi India on the Northern India and Nepal trip we took. This person is an ear cleaner. There are quite a few of these folks on the street that will clean the earwax out of your ears. Here is a web site that explains some of it. https://shalusharma.com/have-your-earwax-removed-while-on-holiday-in-india/
    I did not use the services.

Lets have some new players to this game for the next few posts.