Thoughts about re-booking and pricing?

Either now or in the past, has anyone ever had to pay more for a new flight when an airline cancelled their original flight or changed flight times so it was impossible to make a connection? As best as I can recall I have never had to pay more the three or so times I had to re-book because of an airline initiated change, even when the new flight was more expensive.

Soooo, not to cause problems, I know it is not their fault, but why must we pay more to re-book the same tour when Tauck cancels the original one and increases the priced for the new one? e.g. Jordan & Egypt. Just curious.

Comments

• Alan - Re airlines, no. I get your point about Tauck. I figured that's why they added the extra $500 pp to be used on a new booking, if you keep the funds on file with them.

• AlanS - You don’t have to pay more. You can take your business elsewhere. You choose to pay more because you like the Tauck product. It is a rare occurrence when a tour doesn’t increase in price one year to the next. The price increase is the normal business model. They only drop if people refuse to pay the price.

• kfnknfzk
    8:51PM

One of the many reasons why I book air through Tauck.

Who you book air with is not the point, it is just the baseline.

Smiling Sam
    June 15

. . . You choose to pay more because you like the Tauck product.

Yes, I re-booked, but just because I like the product doesn't mean I like everything. But on the face of it, it just seems odd that some/most airlines who seem to try to squeeze every cent out of their customers, offer a better re-booking deal, especially when it happens to them more often. While the $500 pp was nice, unfortunately, it didn't cover the price increase. In fact, when I re-booked my air I got a refund of the difference from the airline because in this case the new flights were cheaper than the original ones.

I just wanted to see what folks had to say.

• Slightly off the subject, but I saw the points guy on TV yesterday and he’s been traveling. He made some interesting comments. Apparently, Delta and South West are the only airlines guaranteeing they will blockout all middle seats. Other airlines are filling planes. He has been on packed flights and almost empty flights. He now recommends booking your seat near the toilets because you are not allowed to queue for them so you need to be able to jump up and go as soon as it’s free. Take snacks onto the plane and don’t rely on buying them at the airport. He said he was at Newark and only one small food outlet was open with a huge line.

• I agree with Alan. Tauck should honor the price at which you booked originally.

• There's a difference between Tauck and the airlines.

Air travel is simply a commodity that most people shop by price. If we compare the same class of travel, price has nothing to do with the level of service or the airlines' costs. The guy sitting next to you could have paid 3x what you paid, or vice versa, and is treated exactly the same as you. With rare exception, service is equally poor among all airlines.

The level of service, and what you get for your dollar, is vastly different among tour companies. For the most part, they base their pricing on their costs and cost predictions for the future, which isn't easy. There's hotel costs, exchange rates, etc. to consider.

So while I can understand Alan's frustration, I can see the other side's point of view, too.

• I think the problem with the Iceland tour is that Tauck uses Ponant ships, so I’m guessing Ponant have put their prices way up. They are going to have to reduce the number of passengers per trip in line with Covid regulations. And remember that some of the Tauck Tours have French passengers that booked with Ponant.
    For myself, I am more concerned that the information we were given, for which we have notes, when our Tour was cancelled months ago, now turns out or be incorrect and means we could lose thousands of dollars with already booked tours with Tauck. And believe Me, I’m definitely a loyal Tauck customer, having travelled with them since at least 2003.

• edited June 2020

I know what you mean Sam, but I guess it’s getting really hard for them right now. Earlier in the year when they asked us to change our tour date for Singapore because it was not selling well, they effectively gave us about $1200 to cover the cost of our flight changes. And now the tour will probably be cancelled. Like I’ve said, I’m annoyed I could lose money out of all the future cancellations because they have changed what we were initially told. I hope they stay in business. I’ve already heard of a favorite company going bankrupt this week. This morning I walked by the home of my hairdresser’s colleague. My poor hairdresser, because she is the business owner, is getting no government payout and yet we here in PA are desperate for haircuts. Life is nuts, it’s never going to be the same again for years and years if at all.

• Here's part of a timely email I received this morning from another tour company:

Dear Travelers,

All of us at xxxxxxxxxx hope that all of you are staying healthy and doing well during this most challenging time during Covid-19!

Sadly, travel is not looking very likely for most of, or even the rest of 2020. This has certainly been harsh for all of us but we are pleased to say that our 2021 season is looking to be our busiest year to date. One reason is that so many of you transferred from 2020 to 2021.

We certainly know that the ‘spirit of travel’ is alive and well, as we have heard from many of you asking us when our 2022 departures will be available. We are excited to let you know we now have our 2022 dates! We are also very pleased to announce that we are keeping our 2020 prices for almost all of our 2022 departures. We are excited about this and hope that we can share this excitement with you, our travelers. We all want to keep our hopes and dreams alive - something I like to think is important during both good times and bad.

• Yes, I got That email too. We were on the Borneo tour with them when we were made to evacuated, Very frightening. They could not give us the money back for the remaining 11 days of the tour and we had to pay extra money to get us home. We tried getting it from the insurance Which the travel company said we were entitled to, but it was denied. Other people on the tour were fine with that. We called the travel company and they helped us get an appeal via their rep with the insurance Company and we got a check last week, so it took 3 months. It’s the first time we used them and we are impressed at their customer service. They answer the phone immediately and respond very quickly to emails. Their air service guy really knows his stuff. But if they had just canceled we would not have got our money back, it’s a small company and they cannot afford to do that. We had already booked another tour with them for next year, if they cancel, I guess there is a chance we could lose our money and their insurance is much more expensive than Tauck insurance. I do feel safer with Tauck and are only using the other company because they offer the type of tour we like and Tauck does not offer, It’s not fair to Tauck to mention the company here. There is still a chance that that company could fail, it’s so small and they only offer one date per year for some tours, so it is not Tauck. I do like the fact that you have to provide a doctor letter to show you are fit to travel. Have you traveled with them?

• This is an interesting thread and I can appreciate both sides to this. In my experience this last month, their level of service has been outstanding compared to some other travel providers I am dealing with. It should be noted with regard to the Passion Play cancellation Tauck states, "If you’ve already made final payment on your 2020 journey, we’ll honor our 2020 prices and provide you with an added credit of USD $500* per traveler for keeping your funds on account with Tauck."

• edited June 2020

taxare
    11:55AM

This is an interesting thread and I can appreciate both sides to this. . . . It should be noted with regard to the Passion Play cancellation Tauck states, "If you’ve already made final payment on your 2020 journey, we’ll honor our 2020 prices and provide you with an added credit of USD $500* per traveler for keeping your funds on account with Tauck."

So what does that equate to in interest rates? :)

I was worried when I started this thread there would be animus, but it has turned out fine. Thanks all.

How about another topic (of special interest at least to me since I'm in this situation. FYI, I don't know the answer or even have a solution).

After cancelling a tour(s), is there anything Tauck could do so affected people have priority or get (are guaranteed?) the same or a preferred alternate departure that year or the next if they want to re-book immediately? As you know, with tours going on sale anywhere up to two years before the first departure, many/most departures could be sold out for the year following the canceled tour. It is inconceivable that they would ever ask someone already booked to give up their spot. Is there any solution?

For those who have many years of wonderful travel ahead, let's hope this is a once in a lifetime aberration (until COVID-27).

• Is there any solution?

The solution is they add more tours/dates as things fill up. I've seen Tauck do it before. I look at a the dates, then look back a few months later and all of a sudden departures have increased from once a week to every 2-3 days. I noticed this with the Israel/Jordan trip I took last Fall. Logistically, it all comes down to the availability of hotels, ticketed sites, and TDs.

• I re booked my river cruise for next year at the time they canceled this years, I was able to upgrade the cabin and take an extra day in London for an additional $176, if I had not taken the extra day in London there would have been a refund, so in my case the price of the tour did not go up.

• We'll likely only get the $250 each since our balance had not been fully paid. Price increase for 2021 is $300 pp so we're out an extra $100 total. Since we have a $1000 credit for a cruise disruption last year ( that actually was handled very well by Tauck) we're still doing ok. I'm more worried about airfare increases.

• Yeah Sam, that was a major hit you guys got. Seems really out of whack. I do wish now that I hadn't paid more on our balance last fall which I did so it would be part of our credit card rewards for 2019.. We use the Costco visa so the rewards are essentially a once a year check that we have to take to Costco and either make a very large purchase then take the balance in cash. So I try to keep the rewards from year to year somewhat evened out.

• Sam, I truly am not intending to poke the bear that is not smiling right now. However, I was curious about your situation and why the pricing has gone up so much for your tour. What I believe I found was interesting. Your price has gone up significantly and if I were in your shoes I would be having a direct conversation with Tauck about it. When I looked at the pricing for 2020 and 2021 it appears (and I'm sure you will correct me if I am wrong) that the pricing for the cabins through the deluxe suite have stayed the same. So for customers in those cabins that received $250-$500 they are "in good shape". Those in Prestige suites and higher have a significant price increase, which obviously affects you directly. So to be balanced, it does not appear that every category of cabin went up in price. It would be interesting to see if the higher category suites will be provided more services or amenities in 2021 than in 2020 or whether the newer ship offers more amenities. I respect your angst about this issue and I would be having a conversation with Tauck to advocate for similar pricing as 2020.

• Good luck Sam.

• I just booked the new Tauck trip entitled "Jerusalem, the Red Sea and Petra" for next March. The itinerary includes the main places that our March tour this year (in "Israel and Jordan") could not go because of the virus -- Bethlehem, Masada, and the Petra ruins -- and does not have too much overlap with this year's tour, except for Jerusalem, where I can find things to do on my own. (I might skip the second trip to Jerash and do more in Amman, depending on what there is to do.). This trip also goes to Aqaba and Wadi Rum. I'm excited about it. I just hope they have a vaccine by next March! (If not, as my daughter says, I can make a "game time decision" not to go.)

• If there is a vaccine next March, I’ll eat my mask! If there is a vaccine next March I’m thinking who will get access and In what order. This is my guess....the government and all their relatives, the military and all their families, or maybe healthcare workers, I can’t decide on which would be two or three here, then first responders like firemen/women and police If we still have any, People who work in the meat packing industry, people who work in food distribution and food markets, people in care homes and their carers, if the government think old people are worth saving, , teachers, then somewhere down the line, people like us, that’s a long long time to wait and that’s if a vaccine is found that is safe and works. Yes, here I am, a pessimist again.
    I’m on the Israel and Jordan tour in April, I have a small amount of hope it will go, but I’m not thinking about booking flights yet.

• If there is a vaccine next March, I’ll eat my mask!

I suggest cathyandsteve take the photos of that happening and post them here. :)

• British I agree with you in the timeline for people like us to get the vaccine if there is one. I'm also booked for a river cruise in April and will play it by ear, it will all depend if we are expected to quarantine when arriving in another country, that would take care of the trip.

• edited June 2020

I'm in no way advocating being a scofflaw, but here is a hypothetical question- say the county of embarkation of a cruise or land tour has a voluntary or mandatory, "self-quarantine" policy (not in a government directed facility), how would they monitor and enforce it, especially if the boat or bus leaves that country and doesn't return? As to whether Tauck would run a tour under those conditions, no way.

I see where a passenger was booted from an AA plane and banned from further flights for refusing to wear a mask. The ban will be enforced until masks are no longer required, though he was allowed to fly later in the day with a mask. There is more to the story, but it gets into politics, but it appears he is now banned from AA based on fact-based account of what really happened by a NYT reporter, who, unbeknownst to the offender, was sitting next to him. I wonder if banning will be reciprocal between airlines?

• Sounds like the major US airlines may at least be trying to have a consistent policy -
    "Today, Airlines for America (A4A), the industry trade organization representing the leading U.S. airlines, announced that its member carriers will be vigorously enforcing face covering policies..."
    You can read the rest of the announcement at:
    https://www.airlines.org/news/major-u-s-airlines-announce-increased-enforcement-of-face-coverings/

• They'll just use that as an excuse to justify filling middle seats.

• Most airlines are filling middle seats. I hear Delta and Southwest are the only ones who will not.

• Not surprising. Those are the two airlines that are typically rated highly by customers.

• We recently flew SWA. Middle seats were left open. BUT, a flight attendant made an announcement that sounded like those seats were open BECAUSE all the seats had not sold. She said, (not verbatim) "This flight is not full today. There should be enough room today to have an empty seat between each guest." I felt like that sounded like they would have sold as many tickets as they could. But, maybe i wasn't being fair.