Comments

• edited July 2020

Possible undesirable response to eventual vaccine availability? - With the press and pharma talking up what could be early (by the end of the year) availability of a vaccine so far in advance, some people might forego wearing masks before it is smart and safe to do so. That could cause all sorts of negative outcomes for the country- businesses, families, and individuals, especially travelers.

• There might be a vaccine submitted by the end of the year with limited data. The likes of us, whenever it becomes available, will be way down on the list.

• Yeah, don't hold your breath. I heard something on the news this morning that Japan is considering cancelling the rescheduled (summer 2021) games. This is something that's not going to be under control any time soon.

• I don't know about "the likes of us" being way down the list. First responders and medical personnel should be first, but I'm guessing that seniors (most of us, I presume) and people with compromised immune systems will be next. From what I've heard, the promising vaccines are going into production before completing testing and I've heard estimates of 100 million or more doses before the end of the year. Of course, nothing is certain and a lot can happen, but I'm optimistic that I will be able to get a vaccine before next summer.

• Looking slightly further out, I wonder if a prerequisite to travel with Tauck (or entry to certain countries) will be a documented COVID vaccination. Also, will Tauck, ships, etc. carry any therapeutics, boosters, etc. if available?

Then again, we may be vaccinated but what will the policy of the countries and places we will visit. How about this semi-technical question- say we are vaccinated but are exposed. I assume a vaccination will prevent us from getting seriously sick, but will we still have a minimal level of transmittable virus and able to infect others for a brief period and therefore a danger to someone who has not been inoculated? Any doctors in the house?

• No point for Tauck or ships to carry vaccine. Current talk is 2 vaccinations a month apart. Immunity takes time to build, so a vaccination will do nothing for short-term. Also, no vaccine is 100% effective. I think it was Fauci who said 50% or better is what they're shooting for. The Measles vaccine is currently at to top of the effectiveness list at 97%.

• Based on what BKMD said, maybe it will be like the Shingrex vaccine. Whatever it is, I'll be getting it.

• ‘ Then again, we may be vaccinated but what will the policy of the countries and places we will visit. How about this semi-technical question- say we are vaccinated but are exposed. I assume a vaccination will prevent us from getting seriously sick, but will we still have a minimal level of transmittable virus and able to infect others for a brief period and therefore a danger to someone who has not been inoculated? Any doctors in the house?‘

Answer.....Doctors are not going ot know this for a long time.

‘Do you think maybe doctor offices will be able to administer medications that seem to have a positive effect on covid? or will those medications have to be administered in hospital settings only? So many questions.....‘

The kind of medicines you are talking about are only given as a last resort to people who are in the ICU
    Most have not really been shown to work too well. Maybe, maybe reduce the length of the illness by just a few days.

• I’ve speculated before and I don’t think seniors will be that near the top, How about everyone in the government and all their relatives, teachers and children and recently Latinos and Afro Americans have been mentioned as a priority

• [sarcasm] Let's not forget priority to professional athletes. They provide essential services. [/sarcasm]

• They keep saying front line/essential workers then seniors but who knows at this point.

• The morbid side of me thinks I’d do anything to ensure my kids and grandkids can live a full and long life, and if that means I am at the back of the line for a vaccination instead of them, I’d be there at the back.

• British - I agree 100%. We have twin granddaughters who start kindergarten this year and I worry about them. The district's current plan is for kids to attend two days one week and three the next - with another group of kids attending opposite them. Hopefully this will allow for more social distancing. I'm a retired teacher and I think it is going to be really hard to keep kids socially distanced - especially the young ones. I have lived a good life and would like it to last quite a bit longer, but I would put my kids and grandchildren in front of me for a vaccine if I could.

• My brother retired as a long haul truck driver a few years ago and took a job with the local school district as a bus driver. He isn't planning to drive this semester. Over 70 with risk factors. Think about being a bus driver with a load of kids and no other adult on board to make sure they behave, wear their masks, etc. Not to mention confusion from week to week over who should be on the bus. Also, many of his fellow drivers are in the same age range as him. Yikes!

• I would think the bus driver would be sufficiently socially distanced from the kids for it not to be an issue, especially as he is at the front and the virus would be behind him. I’ve only been on a US school bus once and that was to ferry us to a wedding reception! What I think is discussing about school buses is the lack of seat belts and that really worries me especially as the bus we were in had such high seat backs that could give a nice comcshion in a sudden stop.

• He is while driving assuming the kids stay in their seats but he has little to no control over behavior. They pass him getting on and off and he can't really get very far from them. Maybe if the bus was fitted with a plexiglass shield. City transit drivers have the same issue.

• Now CNN says:
    Covid-19 deaths in the US should start dropping around parts of the country by next week, the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention director said, as Americans stick to mitigation efforts that help curb the spread of the virus.

So far, more than 5.5 million Americans have been infected and at least 174,255 have died, according to Johns Hopkins University. The country's seven-day average for daily deaths has topped 1,000 for at least 24 days in a row. And they still ask to stick to the rules...
    The government even wrote top answers about mask-wearing policy. It's still dangerous on the streets and how these masks will save us is not clear, but it's better with them than without them.

• I don't believe we will ever have a "real" death count. A lady I know from church whose mom died of the virus in Miami received a death certificate stating that she died of natural causes. Now she is fighting to receive a corrected one.

• Incorrect death certificates happen all the time under normal circumstances, believe me I know.

• Sorry to be so late in answering British but I neglected to say that she first received a DC showing the cause of death as Covid-19, when they asked for more they received the "natural causes" one.

• One word- Florida. :)