Passport Renewal

I thought I would share my experience about renewing my passport during COVID. As a young adult, I never bothered with paying expedite fees; I'm not even sure that was even available back then. However, for decades now I have always paid the expedite fee, not because I procrastinated but because I believe my passport is far too important to be out of my sight for too long.

I sent all required documentation and renewal and expedite fees by overnight carrier. The package did arrive overnight but then sat there until logged in, checks were electronically cashed and the documentation was forwarded along to whomever. That process took nine (9) days! Alas, my request is now officially in the system, but because of COVID I was told that it will take up to six weeks for whomever to issue the updated passports. So much for paying the expedite fees! Then they will be mailed back to me by overnight carrier, only after paying another fee.

I don't care about the fees since those are moot points when amortized over ten years. I am concerned that other travelers may not be aware how long this process takes during COVID. So, check those passport expiration dates and plan accordingly. I believe non-expedited renewals will take up to twelve weeks from the time the request is officially in the system.

Seeing that new passport will make me as delighted as when I received my second inoculation! I just hope my November trip comes to fruition. I am optimistic. Let's travel!

Comments

• Passports are really only good for 9 1/2, not 10, years. Most countries won't let you in if the expiration date is within 6 months.

• We get regular emails from two passport and visa companies. They have been telling us for many months that passports are taking twelve weeks. I think if you need a first passport, that is not possible at the moment. The info has also been posted on the government website.

• Interesting. As an international airline crewmember, I could not work without a passport. On at least two occasions I remember walking into the passport office in the morning and walking out with a new passport a few hours later. I renewed my last passport because I ran out of pages ... adding pages is no longer an option.

• edited May 2021

When I renewed my passport in early 2019, I expected to increase my international travel in the next 10 years so I ordered the 52 page passport as opposed to the standard 24 page. There was no extra fee. Renewal for this kind of passport just requires the Form DS-82. Meanwhile, the passport is collecting dust!!

• I have a large passport now, but I requested the large one the last time and they sent a small one. The previous one that I filled up was a large one. Some countries in Africa require two blank ‘facing’ pages. Some immigration agents just blast any page that is convenient.

Just received our travel documents for our upcoming Windstar cruise.

• I think they did away with the passport with more pages.

• We renewed our passports a few months ago. The larger passport book was an option at that time.

• Attached is the current renewal form for passports. To get the extra pages, you need to check the non- standard book.

• We also checked the larger passport like Sealord but were sent the regular size.

• Hmm...did you ask why you didn’t get the requested book?

• That’s like asking the post office why they didn’t hold my mail. (;-)

• Maybe "Large Book" should be in all CAPS to make it easier for processors to read ?

• The COVID time-out may actually get us to the end of our 10 years in 2023 with the large passport. But it will still be close. I sincerely hope that there won't be a problem at that time getting the larger version. We've never made it ten years with the smaller version.

• I have an update to my aforementioned 11 May note that some of you may find interesting, especially since seeing on the national news last evening that the U. S. State Department supposedly has a two million backlog of passport applications.

My request for an expedited renewal application was received in Philadelphia on 30 April. On 01 June, the State Department, with a New Hampshire address, sent me an e-mail advising that I must submit a revised photo because my "long bangs were obstructing my eyes." I don't have bangs. I was given a number to call if I had questions. After three days of calling incessantly, I finally got through, but it took another day for someone to retrieve my file and call me back. When I insisted that I did not have bangs, I was quite rudely informed that, "I am looking at your photo and I'm telling you that your black bangs are too long." Well, I don't have black bangs. My hair is silver. It took another eight business days for them to confirm their mistake and to find my actual file. I did receive a call from a "supervisor" who merely blamed everything on the pandemic. He never offered an apology. I bit my tongue. The good news is that on 14 July I finally received my updated passport, just shy of eleven weeks since their receipt of my application.

I am just thankful that I had not procrastinated. I certainly understand the enormous issues this pandemic has caused, but what really irritated me was receiving an e-mail in which the State Department confirmed that my "expedited request was fulfilled within six weeks." The unmitigated gall is one thing, the absolute ineptitude of the State Department is the real issue here.

Last night's news did report that even for expedited service, the process can take from twelve to eighteen weeks. So, check those passports!

• "We're from the government. We're here to help you..."
    or
    Are the passport workers rejected workers from DMV who couldn't be inefficient enough?

• Actually, I have interfaced with DMV workers who have had far more intellect than the State Department dolts who mismanaged every aspect of my passport renewal. Thank G-d I have almost a ten year reprieve from doing this again!

• As someone who spent 10 years active duty in DC I know both the good and bad of the federal work force. I knew dedicated talented ones and others who were not so much. If you were a smart capable employee, have you seen anything about the way they have been treated and spoken about in recent years that would encourage you to seek a job with the federal government? If you could retire or find a better job, wouldn't you? So what does that leave for a workforce?

• Like the person who objected to lumping Cruise ship passengers together, like Claudia said, the State Dept. is no different than any branch of government or many companies and industries- there are the good and bad. My son-in-law and daughter both work for state, mostly abroad, and they like most of their friends are dedicated, hard working public servants. Also, it is hard to maintain morale when you are at the pointy end of the spear but are not being provided with the financial, manning, personal and family, etc. support by and are even criticized by the senior leadership and appointees in DC, but they soldier on.

• edited July 2021

I am not sure how my personal experience with renewing a passport turned into a defense of all government agencies. I will add another personal experience. I spent the last twelve years of my career as a forensic accountant responsible for auditing and negotiating defense contracts. Although I worked in concert with the Defense Contract Management Agency (DCMA) and the Defense Contract Audit Agency (DCAA), I was a civilian working for an aerospace company. My counterparts were extremely well educated, professional and competent. Working with them truly was the highlight of my career. Their salary probably lagged behind mine, but I would trade my measly benefits for their benefit packages in a heartbeat.

Can we now return to the topic of my thread, that being passport renewals? Has anyone else seen the news regarding this?

Best wishes and safe travels.

• It was on the ABC news and the Points Guy reported it earlier in the week. Average wait is supposed to be 18 weeks. Paying an extra $60 for expediting service doesn’t appear to help much. There is a backlog of two million.
    I’ve looked into having a second passport in the past, but despite it being advertised as being someone that anyone can do, thst is not really the case. I hate being without my American passport, apart from my citizenship certificate it’s the only thing that proves I am an American because my English accent confuses people. Of course, I could use my British passports to leave the country, but aim nor sire that soils get me back in, I’d be too nervous to try.

• Thanks for your comments, British. I have dual citizenship and two passports, one being my U.S. passport and the other being my Danish passport. Each country has different entry requirements. I can enter Danmark (Denmark per Americans) with my Danish passport, but I can only re-enter the U. S. with my U. S. passport. So, to answer your question, you must use your U. S. passport in order to return to the U. S. There are no exceptions to this.

It is recommended to carry all passports when traveling abroad. It can make it easier if you find yourself in a potentially dangerous or precarious situation. I always make sure I know where the U. S. and Danish embassies are located when I travel within Europe.