The Classic Safari

Any tips on what to pack for The Classic Safari?
We are departing on 09.15.2021

Comments

• Casual is the word!! We wore long pants (light weight and denim) in earth tones. Some wore shorts but I wanted sun and bug protection. We were told to avoid blacks and blues. We layered the tops: cotton tees, cotton sweaters and a fleece. We wore packable down jackets. Sneakers (2 pairs) and socks- I brought slip-in sneakers which worked well when you were hoping on and off the seats. The guides asked that we remove our shoes when standing on the seats. Hence slip ons worked well! I brought a packable hat with a chin strap, a buff, a scarf, sunglasses. I used scrungies to keep my hair away from my camera lens. Bring a day bag for your stuff as you peeled off layers during the day. The days started off cold but warmed up as the day progressed. Definitely bring a bathing suit for the 4 Seasons! Often I just wore a new set of clean clothes for dinner and then wore it the next day. I brought sandals for the evenings but ultimately wore my sneakers most of the time. This trip was very casual - it was the longest time that I refrained from black!!

• edited August 2021

What Nancy forgot to mention is that the reason to avoid blue and black is that those colors attract tsetse flies- a small horsefly-like critter that can bite through clothing and socks. They can be found throughout eastern Africa especially where animals congregate. 😲

• edited August 2021

Alan - 100% correct!! When I was there in July (2019), there were no tse tses at all — we drove past an area near the Four Seasons with signage: Beware of Tse Tse. We were instructed to zip up all the windows- and then we began sweating profusely from the lack of air… but quickly got to another sign indicating No Tse Tse!!
    An additional note: almost every woman on our trip brought a black bathing suit. No one had a problem but maybe bring something other than black or blue. Just saying…

• I’m most impressive that you swam in the pool at the Four Seasons Nancy. I’m a big swimmer, but it was freezing when we tried it. Alan S will attest the same

• British - I didn’t say I SWAM in the pool:-). I just discussed color of bathing suits!! Rather than lolling around the Four Seasons pool, our TD arranged an extra drive during a free afternoon — and only 4 of us went. The 2 hour outing turned into 4 hours. We saw incredible animal behavior - lions were surrounded by wildebeasts but the lions waiting in the grasses for the right opportunity to attack. Score ONE for the lions!

• Ah, that’s cheating Nancy!

• You caught me — I’m the one who doesn’t loll around on Tauck trips!!

• British
    8:18PM
    I’m most impressive that you swam in the pool at the Four Seasons Nancy. I’m a big swimmer, but it was freezing when we tried it. Alan S will attest the same

You betcha! 😮 Yesterday I took a dip in the Atlantic in Boothbay, ME, and I believe the water in Maine (64.8 deg.) right now is colder than it was at the Four Seasons, but both literally took my breath away!

• I love that photo. Our first K and T tour back in I think 2007, there was no lolling around, no Four Seasons and more total game drives, much better tour than now. We were not offered an extra game drive in December 2019.

• British - Our first K and T tour back in I think 2007, there was no lolling around, no Four Seasons and more total
    game drives, much better tour than now.

When you were young did you walk 4 miles uphill both to and from school? :D

• The Phantom Flagger must be jealous of Alan’s Frosty Fortitude

• Sam, no two miles each way and no hill 😀

• PHANTOM FLAGGER: does the use of the word ‘flagger’ force the flag???

• I personally think the best thing to do is simply ignore the flagger. Why give this person any recognition at all ?

• Yep, don't feed the trolls.

• AlanS - Love the picture

• This picture has become a legend, funniest picture!